Solo Christmas Cruise Dilemma

runner2013

Ok all you seasoned solo cruisers I'm looking for some help, advice, opinions. I'm toying with the idea of a Holiday cruise. I found several leaving on Dec 22 and returning Fri Dec 26 or Sat Dec 27. I'm at peace with the price for both the cruise and flights, etc so that won't be an issue, (or at least I won't let it be an issue) and I'll even be going on someone other than RC which is my preferred line.

I've always wanted to be somewhere warm/different for Christmas, and since I'm now single again, no kids, and have just a small family of siblings and nieces/nephews, I guess I'm having a little bit of guilt about bailing out on them. Honestly, I'm not big into Christmas at all, haven't been for many years, and I know they would understand if I did go without any hard feeling on their end.

I guess I'm having some guilt about spending the money on myself, feeling sort of selfish, especially when all we hear about is how we should 'give to others' during this 'festive' time. I would still get something for each of them but just wouldn't be there when they opened it Christmas day.

So what do you all think? :confused:

Should I do what would really make me happy and get out of the cold and snow, spending the holiday with complete strangers, or stay and try to make the best of it? I love my family to the moon and back but I just don't think I can take another freezing holiday right now.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Patty

Hi:) having always sailed solo and will continue to do so, I would always

say yes, definitely DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY:D.

I don't celebrate Christmas at all and so for me, it is Dec 25th, nothing

more, nothing less.

If you want to sail over the holidays? GO FOR IT:D

I've been on several holiday cruises and have met some great friends. My office closes between Christmas & New Years so it's a perfect time for me to travel. Most of the lines keep the kids pretty busy and I haven't really noticed them. I've been on Celebrity & Princess & enjoy the festivities and decorations on board.

You should definitely try a holiday cruise. Register for your roll call and go to the cruise critic gathering on board, You will meet lots of nice passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm usually the first one to say that the pleasure of sailing solo is the freedom to "do what you want when you want".

But I've sailed solo during Christmas. And the truth is it felt weird. Being from the Northeast, it felt strange to be in a hot climate cruising. It felt weird being away from family & friends. And it felt weird "celebrating" with strangers (even though I love making new friends).

For some Christmas may be just another day-- it isn't for me-- I now realize I prefer to spend it with family and friends.

Of course, I'm usually sailing just before or right after Christmas. I hate the cold too!

I'm sure you'll do what's best for you. Just my $.02.

Edited by JoePatNYCT

You'll have so much more to share with them when you get back -- you'll be the glamorous world traveling aunt the kids talk about.

Seriously - treat yourself. Yes, if you've ever spent Christmas in a foreign environment, it is odd, but you can find ways to make it yours, and you'll always have the memory of "that time I spent Christmas in _____."

If it turns out it's not for you, go all out for Easter with your loved ones and plan future cruises at different times.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

I get what you mean! I live in MN and the cold drives me crazy. Christmas is fun but I often wonder what it would be like to cruise over Christmas. I also am single and have no children but my family, nieces and nephews are very near and dear to my heart so I stay home for Christmas.

BUT, this year I am cruising solo over NYE; I am sailing on the NCL Epic on Dec 28th (flying to cruise port Dec 27th-2 days after Christmas). There are quite a few solo cruisers on the RC for this cruise and the more the merrier I say!!! Come join us; all are welcome and it will be a great NYE party. :p

BUT, this year I am cruising solo over NYE; I am sailing on the NCL Epic on Dec 28th (flying to cruise port Dec 27th-2 days after Christmas). There are quite a few solo cruisers on the RC for this cruise and the more the merrier I say!!! Come join us; all are welcome and it will be a great NYE party. :p

Sounds like a blast, enjoy your cruise!

Should I do what would really make me happy and get out of the cold and snow, spending the holiday with complete strangers, ......

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Why wouldn't you? Guilt about bailing on the family - can you not spend time other than that week with them? Make an excuse to have a New Year's celebration or a Darn It I'm Sick of the Cold celebration in January or whatever. Guilt because you're spending money on yourself - only you can answer that. If you want to donate the amount you would spend on the cruise to a deserving charity, that's wonderful. Personally, I think we all need balance. Keeping myself recharged allows me the energy to continue helping others when I can.

I will say, as others have mentioned, if you have always spent Christmas in a cold, snowy place, it's really WEIRD to be somewhere warm! Not bad weird, but weird nonetheless :)

I did Thanksgiving solo on a ship. Great trip. Didn't feel at all like Thanksgiving, but I didn't care. (They didn't even serve turkey!) Loved it and would do it again.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I've thought on it, and talked to my sister and I am going on the cruise.

She admitted she would be sad to not have me there, but she also understands how I'm feeling right now and this is what I need to do for me.

I'll be with her for Thanksgiving (she is only right down the road which is great) so we will all make the most of that.

That being said, I'm really excited ..Bahamas here I come!!! woo hoo

Patty

She admitted she would be sad to not have me there, but she also understands how I'm feeling right now and this is what I need to do for me.

I'll be with her for Thanksgiving (she is only right down the road which is great) so we will all make the most of that.

Patty

Congrats on making the decision!:D You will have a good time because you are on a cruise!!!!

It will be great to be warm; Happy Holidays to you. :)

Patty

I just cruised last week, for myself, and glad I did. I could have not gone, but then I'd sit home and wonder why I didn't go.

Gifts are over rated and spending money on people as being part of Christmas. We're forced to think it's necessary but it is not. Spend the money on making yourself happy, and then when you return, do something meaningful for charity or your loved ones in the spirit of Christmas. Be there for someone in a time of need. Call them just too say hi. Visit because you truly care about them. This is what the meaning of Christmas is to me, not buying people a load of crap just for the sake of gift giving.

• 2 weeks later...

I've cruised over the holidays about five/six times in recent years--a few times to Mexico, one PC, one Hawaii, and one out of Florida. I love it-this way I have my own holiday plans. I work at a university and we are closed over the holidays so it's a great time for me to travel.

I'd suggest solos book a cruise over 7 nights during Christmas. Definitely less families/school age kids during my 10+ night cruises. Also, cool weather cruises--Mexico and Hawaii--were great for me. The pool areas were quiet pretty much the whole cruise.

I also do a meal schedule something like this--9am breakfast, 2pm lunch, and dinner after 8pm. This way I don't get overwhelmed by the families. I also felt that the activities/entertainment was more adult during my longer cruises.

Faith

I think you should do what makes you happy. I am the opposite I would love to have a cold and snowy Christmas, which I will do one year.

I would love a warm and sunny Christmas which I hope to do one year too! ;)

I totally agree, do what makes you happy. :)

I would love a warm and sunny Christmas which I hope to do one year too! ;)

I totally agree, do what makes you happy. :)

I hope you get your sunny Christmas. In Australia we have lots of seafood and salads on Christmas day and usually go to the beach. I would love to have a nice hot Christmas lunch, would be so nice.