Silly scone question

SeaCBear

Just wondering about the scones that are served at afternoon tea on the Queen Victoria ... I love scones with cream (I'm assuming I can't look forward to clotted cream :( ) but I hate raisins.

So, do the scones have raisins?

If I remember correctly (skipped tea on last two crossings), it's whipped cream not clotted cream : (

Can't remember any raisons in the scones (which would make them "rock buns" wouldn't it ???)….

Have a great voyage!

Just wondering about the scones that are served at afternoon tea on the Queen Victoria ... I love scones with cream (I'm assuming I can't look forward to clotted cream :( ) but I hate raisins.

No raisins. I've had the clotted cream. If you get the chance to do the extra cost elegant tea(about $25-$30)do it. It was worth the extra cost.Everything was kicked up several notches above the standard tea, including a flute of Vieuve Cliquot.

Not a silly question at all - MrMariposa haaaaaaates raisins too.

I've not been on the QV but on our WB crossing on QM2 in June the scones offered to us at afternoon tea in the Queens Room DID have raisins on the two occasions we indulged.

The first time a waiter found a couple with no raisins when we requested, the second time we were told they all had raisins.

The cream was whipped.

Scones are plain where I come from .... although I will eat fruit ones if they are all there is :-(

I thought they were fruit scones - what I would call sultanas in them.

As for the clotted cream, I've decided that next time I'll pick up some cartons of it from a supermarket before leaving, and store them in my fridge. I'll take them to afternoon tea so I can indulge. I no longer eat the scones because they don't taste the same without cream. The so-called whipped cream is more air than cream and leaves virtually no taste or moisture on the scone.

Hi,I am just back from the fjords on queen Victoria.The scones have raisins and the cream is not clotted

On my first QM2 sailing, a well informed Cunard cruiser mentioned that the cream was not clotted cream, but you could get it if you asked. And she asked for it and we received the real stuff at our table. So you might ask for clotted cream and plain scones. You may be surprised at the outcome.:)

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone! It sounds like it's quite possible I'll be able to get a plain scone (without raisins, sultanas or currants) and perhaps also clotted cream. Especially if I ask nicely. :) Very much looking forward to it.

I can assure you I will be making no "demands".

I merely asked what type of scones are served. If everyone had answered that all scones, on every cruise, have raisins, then that would be fine - I just wouldn't have any.

But apparently, sometimes, plain scones are also available if one prefers, so I will politely ask if I might have one. I'm not expecting anyone to bake up a raisin-free batch for me!

Next somebody will demand gluten-free scones, sugar-free scones, no dairy scones, no GMF scones.....:confused:

I can assure you I will be making no "demands".

I merely asked what type of scones are served. If everyone had answered that all scones, on every cruise, have raisins, then that would be fine - I just wouldn't have any.

But apparently, sometimes, plain scones are also available if one prefers, so I will politely ask if I might have one. I'm not expecting anyone to bake up a raisin-free batch for me!

How about no fat clotted cream .

On my first QM2 sailing, a well informed Cunard cruiser mentioned that the cream was not clotted cream, but you could get it if you asked. And she asked for it and we received the real stuff at our table. So you might ask for clotted cream and plain scones. You may be surprised at the outcome.:)

Clotted cream, plain scones, and black pudding :cool:

J

During the winter months I start to take an interest in baking.

When I make a batch of 12 scones I have 6 with fruit and 6 plain.

I find they both vanish quickly and so far no one has expressed a preference.

Only trouble with home baking is that after a few weeks of eating

my own efforts my clothes appear to shrink. lol.

At first my wife was a bit defensive of her kitchen but now she

will tell me what she wants baking next.

Enjoy the Scones, enjoy the cruise, and try not to shrink your clothes.

After all this discussion I just had to go out and get a tub of clotted cream. Yum!

Better still, I have just been googling how to make my own clotted cream. They say that the home-made stuff is tastier. There are some good video clips out there, but I don't think I can turn up on Queen Victoria and ask to use their kitchens to make my own. ;)

Edited by fantasy51