Don't book an aft-facing cabin on the Breakaway if you want to sleep before 1:00 a.m.

ibcnusoon

We had a deck 12 center aft-facing cabin and my parents had the handicap room next door.

Whenever there was a DJ and party up in Spice H20 at night, our cabin floors, walls and bed shook from the vibrations and even with the balcony door closed and sealed, we could still hear every song played. Calls to Guest Services fell on deaf ears, their response was that they would call the DJ and ask to lower it. It was never lowered.

Finally on Friday night they offered to move my parents but they needed a handicap cabin and there were none available so they sent up a bottle of wine the next day with an apology.

So, heads up, if you don't plan on going to the parties at night in Spice H20 DON'T book an aft-facing cabin at least from deck 12 on up on the Breakaway.

We had a deck 12 center aft-facing cabin and my parents had the handicap room next door.

Whenever there was a DJ and party up in Spice H20 at night, our cabin floors, walls and bed shook from the vibrations and even with the balcony door closed and sealed, we could still hear every song played. Calls to Guest Services fell on deaf ears, their response was that they would call the DJ and ask to lower it. It was never lowered.

Finally on Friday night they offered to move my parents but they needed a handicap cabin and there were none available so they sent up a bottle of wine the next day with an apology.

So, heads up, if you don't plan on going to the parties at night in Spice H20 DON'T book an aft-facing cabin at least from deck 12 on up on the Breakaway.

We also were on deck 12 aft and yes, heard every song they played. There were at least 4 parties during our week at H2O.

This probably happens to many first time cruisers, including us many decades ago.

Is "under the band" some special place in H that they give to first timers?!:mad: Actually, that first time, we were *over* a band in a night-club area. Same problem, especially those drums...

This type of experience is truly an example of "one trial learning". One doesn't need to give it another try to see if it happens again!

Every time after that, I studied and studied the deck plans, including *especially* the deck immediately above and below. We try our best to get sandwiched between other cabins, above/below, and on the sides.

We are also aware of the "empty white space" (which could be across a hallway), which might have a service elevator and service carts rattling around at odd hours, or something else that affects peace/quiet/comfort.

If it's an outdoor band venue, then I'd probably worry about more than just one deck away. Even if the vibrations didn't carry (and maybe they do?), the sound could.

GeezerCouple

This probably happens to many first time cruisers, including us many decades ago.

Is "under the band" some special place in H that they give to first timers?!:mad: Actually, that first time, we were *over* a band in a night-club area. Same problem, especially those drums...

This type of experience is truly an example of "one trial learning". One doesn't need to give it another try to see if it happens again!

Every time after that, I studied and studied the deck plans, including *especially* the deck immediately above and below. We try our best to get sandwiched between other cabins, above/below, and on the sides.

We are also aware of the "empty white space" (which could be across a hallway), which might have a service elevator and service carts rattling around at odd hours, or something else that affects peace/quiet/comfort.

If it's an outdoor band venue, then I'd probably worry about more than just one deck away. Even if the vibrations didn't carry (and maybe they do?), the sound could.

GeezerCouple

We were 3 decks away from Spice H20, you would think the cabin wouldn't shake from that distance but it vibrated all night. Yes, my parents said it sounded like someone was pounding drums next door, then I explained it was coming from Spice, 3 decks up where there is a massive video screen and 2 HUGE speakers. My husband and I took a walk up one night and the music was SO LOUD, clearly, it could have been lowered. NCL should have put some sort of sound barrier between the Spice speakers and the floor to the cabins below. I can't image how those who were on deck 14 felt inside their cabins.

This is upsetting to me, I am booked on an aft on deck 12 in December. I did research the cabins and didn't read that anyone had a problem with noise for Spice. The fact that it is on the 16th floor and you can still hear it that loudly is not good. I am looking forward to hearing if others had this problem also. Now hubby is saying we should change cabins.

Thanks for posting. We have booked an aft on deck 9….. does anyone know if the noise/vibration goes that far down?

we had an aft on deck 9 and heard nothing from Spice

HOWEVER they had a staff party in the Manhattan room 2 floors below one night and the noise and particularly vibration went on until 2am

We were assured that this location would not be used again for staff parties

This is upsetting to me, I am booked on an aft on deck 12 in December. I did research the cabins and didn't read that anyone had a problem with noise for Spice. The fact that it is on the 16th floor and you can still hear it that loudly is not good. I am looking forward to hearing if others had this problem also. Now hubby is saying we should change cabins.

If you're concerned, it is probably best to look into changing and possibly changing cabins. News like this noise can definitely affect your attitude and the last thing you want is to board the ship expecting to be annoyed :)

I can only speak from my experience but we were in 12908 aft on our September Breakaway cruise. While the noise from Spice could be heard when we were out on the balcony... while in the cabin with door closed we really heard very very little..and for us at least there was very little if any vibration feeling.

At least for us any slight inconvenience there might have been was more than made up for with that great large balcony!

Finding reviews about it now, seems the noise is noticeable from deck 11 on up:

The HUGE problem for us being in Room 14870 Starboard AFt was we were totally unable to sleep at night until 3 am due to the constant base music coming from the top deck outside H2O Spice venue- truly I was very upset our first night after calling guest services and being told they cannot do anything other than ask DJ to turn it down- which he did-slightly- still not enough to be tolerable which means it was way intolerable at previous level !!!!

Have you ever been in traffic an a car BOOMING hip hop music totally vibrates YOUR car windows ? Earplugs don't help in any way for that type of noise. Well that is what we endured & the thought that I would have to do this every night for 7 nights almost made me cry- literally... which is not easy to get me this upset. SOOOO I called again Monday night complaining- really,...am I the only one who wants to get some sleep on the ship ? By Thursday night we did notice the music stopped at 1 am...more reasonable but still intolerable if you go to bed at 10 pm and are awake for 3 hrs trying to sleep !!! UGH!!! There were tons of families with small children, lots of 80 + older adults- I am pretty sure they want to sleep too. If the Captain had this noise coming into his room I am 100 % positive the policy would be changed in a nano second.

They offered me a free dinner and a bottle of wine- hey I don't want a free dinner- I would not even accept a free cruise- I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP in this room I paid a lot of money for !!!!! PLEASE MOVE THIS VENUE INSIDE !!!!!!! Sound is carried by the wind and this music was UNBEARABLE !!!!! For this reason alone I would never sail again on this ship - it was that disturbing because then I would have to sleep till 11 am and it messed up my entire days activities.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=222258

Stateroom:

Aft Balcony 14874. The room was nice. There was plenty of storage. Our room steward, Anna, was wonderful. The balcony was spacious and perfect.

Concerns regarding the noise from H2O/Spice were spot on. Sunday night was fine. Monday was not. (The following 2 pp are about the noise.)

The sound of the bass began around 10:00ish. I was able to deal with it. I expected it. However, at 12:40 the noise was out of control. Please understand, I may not frequent night clubs- but I am not dead at 42. I do attend clubs and like it loud. BUT this was over the top. Might have been the wind carrying the sound. IDK.

Someone from our deck called about the noise. The person who called gave guest services my cabin number so GS called me and sent someone to my room : / Despite this it did continue just as loud until 1:20.

On Monday I attended the Meet and Greet. Julie, the CD, asked us to allow NCL the opportunity to resolve issues. I did kindly bring the noise to her attention on Tuesday. I was reasonable. She told me that she was ask the DJ to tone it down. He did. Issue resolved. Still loud every night- but bearable. Thank you, Julie.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=223881

There has been some concern over noise levels from Spice H20 in the past. Especially on higher decks. I'm very noise sensitive and sleep with a "noise" machine. On the first or second night in Bermuda, the noise was easily heard in the cabin. (With balcony door closed.) Like living near a bar or night club I suppose. When the ship was moving, you noticed it less. I originally booked a AFT balcony on deck 14 and later switched to deck 11. If noise is a concern of yours, I'd suggest you stay around deck 11 or lower if possible.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=226718

There have been many posts about not going above deck 11 in an aft-facing cabin for this reason.

I can only speak from my experience but we were in 12908 aft on our September Breakaway cruise. While the noise from Spice could be heard when we were out on the balcony... while in the cabin with door closed we really heard very very little..and for us at least there was very little if any vibration feeling.

At least for us any slight inconvenience there might have been was more than made up for with that great large balcony!

I had the same experience in this great cabin. Loved every minute of it and simply closed the door if I didn't want to hear any music. But even with the door open, it wasn't anything I couldn't sleep to.

Was on deck 11 in August and on one or two nights, music could be heard with the sliding door closed. I REALLY have a problem with loud music, even when home but it wasn't something that ruined the cruise in the least.

Bottom line... would I book a AFT balcony on the Breakaway again. Probably. :)

This is what I've heard. You can hear it on balcony...I'm looking forward to enjoying some music on my HUGE balcony since we won't be able to party as much as we have on past cruises (daughters 9&7).

I'm no naval architect, but you've got to wonder what geniuses decided to put premium balcony cabins under a disco? These same guys also place suites under jogging tracks and gymnasia. And... as far as the forward facing Haven Suites are concerned, has anyone seen the postage stamp balconies? Why bother? Why didn't they just have a sliding glass door that opens to allow in the fresh air and the sound of the ocean. Who are they kidding???

Some day someone will finally talk some sense into the designers so that the ships and the staterooms are as passenger friendly as possible and not merely designed so as to fit as many as possible in the smallest possible space.

We were in 11908, a corner suite, and heard absolutely nothing inside the cabin. You could hear the music on the balcony, but that was it. No vibrations whatsoever inside or outside.

This past August, we were in an aft balcony, deck 12 cabin and had the same experience. I think I'm pretty sensitive to noise, but don't remember any huge noise problem that made me want to switch cabins. I really enjoyed the extra large balcony and view, so maybe I was just overlooking any noise that may have come from upstairs. I remember reading a similar thread when deciding which cabin to book and was concerned about the potential noise problem, but once onboard felt that we had made a good choice.