Coastal Kitchens. What's good? What's not so good?

We walked over with drinks in hand to eat here. This was on Oasis. Now mind you. The food in coastal kitchen was delicious. My DH was disappointed that the lamb chops were a Smaller portion. We did not have one desert here. Classy yes. Top shelf service. But slow. I guess its just personal preference. We will probably just eat here once next year.

I'm hoping somebody can answer this for me. I am sailing on Oasis in 9 days - not that I am counting or anything, and we want to go to Izumi as we both love hibachi. The description when booking Izumi via the Internet mentions nothing about hibachi - only cooking on hot stones. I am hoping they no longer have the hot stone cooking and it is now all hibachi and RCl simply needs to update their website. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? If not we have dinner reservations to cook our own dinner on stones and that isn't what we were/are aiming for.

Thank you!

I'm hoping somebody can answer this for me. I am sailing on Oasis in 9 days - not that I am counting or anything, and we want to go to Izumi as we both love hibachi. The description when booking Izumi via the Internet mentions nothing about hibachi - only cooking on hot stones. I am hoping they no longer have the hot stone cooking and it is now all hibachi and RCl simply needs to update their website. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? If not we have dinner reservations to cook our own dinner on stones and that isn't what we were/are aiming for.

Thank you!

We just ate there last Sunday evening and there are 3 Hibachi tables to the right as you go in. We never entered the side of the room that had the sushi set up, but I believe each of the three Hibachi table holds 8-10 people. With the small number of tables reservations are a must I would think. Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

I love Sabor! So some tips I put in my review for Sabor...

they don't offer jalapeños on the table-side guacamole but they will put them in if you ask them too. Spicy and worth asking about.

The sangria is a religious experience for me...and if you have the drink package, when the meal is done, ask for one to-go!

The offer short-ribs tacos and they offer chicken quesadillas...BUT have them make you a short-rib quesadilla. Pair that with a ice cold glass of sangria and you have a winning combo.

The portions are large, share and save some money and calories :D

Try the Sangria at the pool area served in a pineapple. Very good. Gerry

So why don't you join us on the 7 Nov cruise? It's not that far to FLL from Cocoa Beach and I think there's still a CLS available.

If you can see my signature you will notice the dance card is full this year. We do still work I think. Are you driving to FLL? Stop in CB and we'll buy you dinner

Thanks for the information. I'll do specialty reservations tomorrow. Giovannis, Izumi for sushi only, and Sabor. We've booked an OS on Allure for Spring 16. Maybe we'll do 150 then. Wife does not want to do Chops. (My steaks are better.)

We're pretty simple people. We don't do a lot of shore excursions. We prefer to remain on the ship and just chill out.

I will talk to the wife about the shows.

Questions:

-Is CK crowded on embarkation day? Would you do a specialty on embarkation day or CK? .

- Can you make reservations for CK prior to boarding?

- I see something on the menus "Today's Pie", says to ask your server. It's not a dessert since it's served with mashed potatoes. Any idea what that is?

When we were on Anthem, sailing from Southampton, CK had British style Pies on the menu but when we were on Quantum they didn't. Not sure which menus you saw but I'm sure someone that's been on Oasis in CK can clarify if this is on Oasis' menu.

We're also on Oasis Nov 7. :)

If you can see my signature you will notice the dance card is full this year. We do still work I think. Are you driving to FLL? Stop in CB and we'll buy you dinner

You're a busy person. Thanks for the invite but we'll have to wait till we cruise out of CB. Should be sometime in Fall 17.

When we were on Anthem, sailing from Southampton, CK had British style Pies on the menu but when we were on Quantum they didn't. Not sure which menus you saw but I'm sure someone that's been on Oasis in CK can clarify if this is on Oasis' menu.

We're also on Oasis Nov 7. :)

I was hoping that was a meat and potato kind of thing like a British pie. I'll have to give it a try.

See you on Oasis.

You're a busy person. Thanks for the invite but we'll have to wait till we cruise out of CB. Should be sometime in Fall 17.

We should have several Oasis cruises then. Hope to book them this coming March and get some good pricing

Rocket - you should see us in the lounge. Look for a giant (6'5), a redhead, a blonde and a non giant guy (5'8). LOL We are usually laughing...most likely at the giant. ;)

Will be on the look out. I'm about 70 but look much, much younger. Wife is mid-60s and much better looking than I. We'll spot you.

We should have several Oasis cruises then. Hope to book them this coming March and get some good pricing

We're booked up till fall 17. Our intent is to book Oasis in Oct. We always book as soon as the cruise are out. So far, everything we've booked has only gone up. This Nov cruise on Oasis is up over 40% from when we booked.

We're booked up till fall 17. Our intent is to book Oasis in Oct. We always book as soon as the cruise are out. So far, everything we've booked has only gone up. This Nov cruise on Oasis is up over 40% from when we booked.

I will be looking at mid to late October. Our Crystal Block quest is hoping to find Liberty in early October. Looking for 3 weeks in September for Oasis. JS on all of them to get CK. :D

We have eaten at CK every night this week except embarkation night which was 150 CP. Everything, except last nights barbequed short ribs, has been better, in taste and presentation, than what we were served at 150.

At breakfast, DW's eggs benedict and my blueberry pancakes have been prepared perfectly. Lunches have been a delight. The short ribs were OK but not as good as DW's servings at home. The best lamb chops we have ever had.

Lobster on the second formal night was not on the menu but we all knew that it was available. It was as good as possible when preparing from a frozen lobster tail; not as good as whole Maine lobster in Bar Harbor.

All of our friends (22 Ps on-board this week) have said the CK is the best thing Royal has done with their ships in a long time. Wishing they had a CK on Freedom for our next two sailings. Maybe I'll zip M. Bayley an e-mail making that request!

Edited by Tagsalong

We have eaten at CK every night this week except embarkation night which was 150 CP. Everything, except last nights barbequed short ribs, has been better, in taste and presentation, than what we were served at 150.

At breakfast, DW's eggs benedict and my blueberry pancakes have been prepared perfectly. Lunches have been a delight. The short ribs were OK but not as good as DW's servings at home. The best lamb chops we have ever had.

Lobster on the second formal night was not on the menu but we all knew that it was available. It was as good as possible when preparing from a frozen lobster tail; not as good as whole Maine lobster in Bar Harbor.

All of our friends (22 Ps on-board this week) have said the CK is the best thing Royal has done with their ships in a long time. Wishing they had a CK on Freedom for our next two sailings. Maybe I'll zip M. Bayley an e-mail making that request!

Great reports like this are complicating my planning. There are just so many good choices on Oasis and two few nights to try all those that sound good.

Sorry to hear about the short ribs as I was looking forward to those.

Thanks for the tip about the lobster.

I expect we'll do breakfast just about every day in CK. Wife loves smoked salmon.

Question: Anyone try any of the "Todays Pies"? Lower right hand of both menus. Says ask your server.

Question: I know escargot is on the MDR menu for every night and I'm wondering if it can be ordered in CK? Wife loves it. I'm not so thrilled.

Question: Anyone try any of the "Todays Pies"? Lower right hand of both menus. Says ask your server.

Question: I know escargot is on the MDR menu for every night and I'm wondering if it can be ordered in CK? Wife loves it. I'm not so thrilled.

First, there is no "Todays' Pies" on the CK menu. I just asked waiter Edgardo and Maitre 'd Denzil in case I had missed it.

Although escargot is not on the CK menu, if it is being served in the MDR, they can have it available in CK if you request ahead of time (say mid afternoon).

First, there is no "Todays' Pies" on the CK menu. I just asked waiter Edgardo and Maitre 'd Denzil in case I had missed it.

Although escargot is not on the CK menu, if it is being served in the MDR, they can have it available in CK if you request ahead of time (say mid afternoon).

Thanks for checking on the pies. Funny thing is I do have a copy of the Harvest and the Vineyards menus and they are on both. Maybe things have changed. Too bad.

The wife will be glad to hear about the escargot. She actually likes those things. Last time we were in the MDR she had three servings and just skipped the entree.

OMG - the escargot news is greatness. That was the ONLY drawback to missing the MDR for me. I can eat those evil snails every night! :)

Rocket - we're not that far behind you. ;) We do like to tell the giant that he looks older than he is though. Entertainment value.

I certainly hope we can get the escargot. Not for me but for the wife. She's already said that she'll order a couple of servings through room service before dinner.

What about kids?. Do you think going on embarktion for lunch is good?. I have a 6 and 13 year old and normally my youngest prefers to eat with other kids during dinner while my older one has always loved eating in the MDR. This will be our first time on Royal and we have a GS with connecting balcony booked on the Allure during spring break for our group of 5.

What about kids?. Do you think going on embarktion for lunch is good?. I have a 6 and 13 year old and normally my youngest prefers to eat with other kids during dinner while my older one has always loved eating in the MDR. This will be our first time on Royal and we have a GS with connecting balcony booked on the Allure during spring break for our group of 5.

You are allowed to bring guests on an availability basis

We thought the food in CK was as good as, or better than the specialty restaurants. The menus were a bit limited, but the quality and service was outstanding. The waiting staff were exceptional and nothing was too much trouble.

The lunch menu was disappointing, but we were ashore most days anyway, so didn't have lunch on board often. As others have said, the lamb and the beef were amazing, as were the flatbreads (which was pretty much all my son ate! :D ) The peaceful breakfasts, and especially the eggs Benedict, was great.

For us, being able to avoid having to stand in a long line for the windjammer (and we usually enjoy the Windjammer) and avoiding all the chaos was one of the best things about having the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. We felt that the size of the Windjammer wasn't in proportion to the number of passengers on Oasis class and it appeared to just be packed at busy times. Coastal Kitchen was a lovely oasis of calm, and we really appreciated that on such a large ship. Enjoy the experience :)

John, is there a charge for guests?

I don't know if Allure and Oasis differ in this, but no guests who were not staying in a suite were allowed to dine in Coastal Kitchen on our European cruise in June. Several people had asked, but were told it wasn't possible.