What's a good shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair?

DonnaK

My hair is colored Dark Auburn, and reds are terrible for fading and oxidizing, especially from sun, sea water and pool water exposure. I've tried several brands of shampoo labeled "safe for color treated hair", but the color still fades and washes out.

Does anyone have recommendations for shampoo/conditioner that really work to protect your hair color from the elements, especially when cruising?

My hair is colored Dark Auburn, and reds are terrible for fading and oxidizing, especially from sun, sea water and pool water exposure. I've tried several brands of shampoo labeled "safe for color treated hair", but the color still fades and washes out.

Does anyone have recommendations for shampoo/conditioner that really work to protect your hair color from the elements, especially when cruising?

I use Suave Salon Professional Series Keratin Infusion formula for color treated hair. It's in a gold colored bottle. I use both shampoo and conditioner and it is low in sulfates which is important to keeping your color bright. I know Suave is not a fancy brand but it works better than some of the $20 a bottle products I have tried at the insistence of hair stylists! I can typically go the whole 8 weeks before coloring and whatever is in that conditioner really protects my hair from the sun.

Cathy

Another redhead Kathy from Colorado here.Have to try the Sauve stuff. I always wear a hat and swimcap. Use the Bioterra shampoo, a Biolage copy from Sallys Beauty supply. Use the conditioner from LOreal box daily too.

Edited by zoncom

Try and find shampoo and conditioner that is sulfate free. I saw Loreal has a drugstore brand now that isn't very expensive. I plan to pick some up for my upcoming 22 night cruise.

Also with reds, try and use lukewarm or cool water. Hot water will also cause it to fade faster.

I use a shampoo that is for gray and blonde... keeps from yellowing or turning green from chlorine, but they also make one specifically for redheads. It was recommended by my hair dresser. I get it at Sally Beauty Supply and it comes in a purple bottle. The formula keeps my gray hair very bright and shiny, so I would imagine that the red formula would also. :)

Here is what the bottle for red hair looks like:

clairol-shimmer-lights-shampoo-brunette-red-16.jpg

My wife uses this and it really works well. It is key that it is sulfate free and not many shampoos are free of the sulfates.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P85MAM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a conditioner she uses Biolage but that will have no baring on the color. She just uses it because it works well for her hair.

Keith

Try and find shampoo and conditioner that is sulfate free. I saw Loreal has a drugstore brand now that isn't very expensive. I plan to pick some up for my upcoming 22 night cruise.

Also with reds, try and use lukewarm or cool water. Hot water will also cause it to fade faster.

The Loreal sulfate free is very good. I've been using it for over a year now with very good results. I also switched to a natural plant based dye which is less harsh on my hair.

And before going into a pool or ocean you might want to wet your hair with plain tap water. Your hair will act like a sponge and soak up the chorine water, which will be like adding bleach to your hair.

And before going into a pool or ocean you might want to wet your hair with plain tap water. Your hair will act like a sponge and soak up the chorine water, which will be like adding bleach to your hair.

I never thought of that! What a great tip!

I have platinum and purple hair. I have to tolerate ice cold water when my stylist is rinsing it. Like, really, really ice cold (specially in winter). I'm supposed to rinse it in cold as well, according to her, but, yeah, that's not happening in the shower!

What I do, besides using Nioxin for thinning and color-treated hair, is to use only conditioner most of the time. I actually use shampoo maybe every 4th or 5th "washing", even less frequently in winter. But, then, my hair is fine and not oily, and I don't use a lot of product or sweat profusely (but sweat is water-soluble, anyway, so...).

The purple still fades over time, but the faded color isn't too bad.

I spent 15 years as a bottle red, before returning to my natural (okay somewhat close to the non grays in roots) brunette a year ago. What I always found worked best was washing every other day and conditioning every shower. John Freida glazes in either clear or the red after every wash kept the color in a little longer.

It was a bad oxidation when I was down in South America on vacation that did me in. I had to go dark to cover the orange that my hair turned into. I don't miss the red maintenance, BUT every 6 weeks when I go to buy color I almost always grab a red before the brown.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Biotera Ultra Color Care from Sally's is great for my hair and I love the smell.

I'm the OP

This is what I bought. I'll come back and post how it worked!

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

As a hair stylist I suggest anything Sulfate Free to save your color(Pureology is my number1 fav) and Cooler water temp when shampooing will save the color as well. Also Bumble and bumble just came out with a UV an heat primer. To protect against fading in the sun :)ImageUploadedByForums1408413425.940529.jpg.5ec30c5e88971766355d62c9c29e3418.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Redkin products for years, especially the Color Extend. I've stopped using it as I'm tired of the overpowering scent of it. I buy perfume and want that scent to be the one that stands out.

I've used Kenra Platinum and loved it, but it's gotten too expensive.

I tried Biolage, but didn't care for the overpowering scent...

I have a liter bottle of Big Sexy Hair that I'm alternating with Aveeno's Nourish and Moisture shampoo.

I've had good color retention with all of these products.

I'm a graying blonde and I use a box of Nice and Easy tricolor technology about every 3 - 4 weeks and Paul Mitchell Awana----- (never could spell it) shampoo followed by PM Awan---- conditioner which has been around forever. I swim 4 times a week in really chlorinated pool so that is hard on color but if you buy when on sale the box costs a little over $5 a month -- and even my hair dresser says I have great looking hair. For me, I am satisfied with the box of color and get a good result. I like how my hair feels with the Paul Mitchell shampoo and rinse BUT I absolutely insist on Joe to cut my hair every 6 weeks and put it back into it's curly messy unstyled fabulous style.

This has helped me maintain my "natural" color. I stopped dying my hair for a few years and was fine with the shiny silver. However, my hair started thinning in front and I find that dying it helps plump up the hair a bit. That and Caboki hair loss product does a good job.

Anyway, I don't wash it every day and I condition once a week. I don't totally wet it every day, either but my hair has to be damp to style so spritzing it with cool distilled water helps to maintain the color.

I use Renpure Organics without sulphates, dyes, etc. Best price is usually at Target and other big box retailers.

Edited by Bookish Angel