What to do in Shanghai, China for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

We have never been to Shanghai, China before.

I know Shanghai is quite a big and busy city.

So I was wondering what is their not to miss in Shanghai?? & what would you recommend doing here for the day??

Also is there any private tour company's you would recommend??

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome :)

PS: Does the cruise ships dock near the city? or do we dock a long way from it?

We're on the Celebrity Millennium in October and dock in Baoshan(sp.). Which from reading on Tripadvisor is about a 30min taxi ride away. The taxis are supposedly cheap and only cost US$15-20 each way. Also read it's easy to walk around and cheap to use the local Metro system. As too, what to see, not properly looked into that yet.

Just hope that it is not a Public Holiday. If so you will be in for a treat as the whole population of the city seems to converge on the Bund and you cannot more or do any thing.

We're on the Celebrity Millennium in October and dock in Baoshan(sp.). Which from reading on Tripadvisor is about a 30min taxi ride away. The taxis are supposedly cheap and only cost US$15-20 each way. Also read it's easy to walk around and cheap to use the local Metro system. As too, what to see, not properly looked into that yet.

We have been to Shanghai twice. First on a 21 day Vantage tour that included three days in Shanghai. Second, on Millennium last Nov.

I strongly recommend the museum in Shanghai. It is fantastic. Also, I would not go DIY and Just take a taxi and the subway. I think paying for a city tour that includes the Bund, Museum and the old area with the crooked bridge is the best.

Traffic is terrible on the roads, so that 30minute taxi ride may be longer.

Go to Trip Advisor. They have excellent recommendations for private tour guides. The museum is definitely worth a visit. There is a private garden in the old part of Shanghai that is right by a market that is also worth going to see. The Bund is basically just about all new buildings. They seem to be tearing down all the old ones and replacing with huge towers. It is also an expensive shopping district. The Bund mind you at night is beautiful to see as it is lit up. They turn the lights off sometime after midnight to conserve energy, but the night show is definitely worth it. If you have time do an acrobat show. It is hard to believe what they can do. Much better than the circuses you will see at home. Be careful if you are buying anything made out of silk, it may not be silk. Only go to a reputable store.

The museum is great but if you want a sense of the explosive growth in Shanghai you should cross over from the Bund into Pudong for a quick look. Nofusstravel is talking about Pudong, not the Bund.

Also walk in the Bund, Nangjing road area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/The+Bund/@31.2402657,121.4818223,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x35b270578b874861:0x4d56fbed10d1af64

I was in Shanghai last month on a business trip and had a weekend to myself before flying home. I stayed in the Pudong New District, close to the Exposition center where my trade show was. My hotel was two blocks from the nearest metro, so I took the metro and got off at the Science Museum stop, and went to the AP Plaza (underground "fake" market) to do my Christmas shopping for the afternoon.

The next day, I planned to get on the Big Bus hop on hop off sightseeing bus. I planned my route and I set out early and took the metro to the Jing'an Temple stop. After I toured around the temple, I bought a ticket for the hop on hop off bus outside the temple (I paid in RMB and it was something like $38 USD). The bus went by all the major tourist sites, temples, museums, shopping, etc.

By the end of the day, my last stop was at The Bund. I timed it correctly and got there just in time for sunset and when all the buildings along the river started to light up. I walked over to the Ritz Carlton to have a cocktail at the rooftop bar, which has a spectacular view of the city. I didn't make it over to the Shangri-La, as it is also known for its spectacular views from the rooftop bar. Got back on the metro and back to my hotel in 15 minutes.

There are a number of hop on hop off bus companies. It is a great way to see the city and get an idea of where you would want to visit. The metro is very easy to navigate and it is super clean and safe (once you purchase a ticket, you have to go through an X-ray machine).

Edited by brunello22

For one day, you should have time seeing--

1. The Bund

2. Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street

3. Yu Garden ("the old area with the crooked bridge")

4. Shanghai Museum, if you are into museums

Shanghai is one of our favorite places....I agree with 1-3 if you only have one day.

• 1 month later...