Question about "Service Charge" they tack on daily to your account

dmwalker613

Hello, this is my first NCL cruise. I've been on one cruise before, on Carnival. On Carnival, they have the service charge (sort of a mandatory gratuity) charged each day, each person. If you think it's too much, you can get it reduced at the end of the trip. There was always a lot of discussion about it on the Carnival discussion boards. I never see that discussed regarding NCL. Is there an option to have it reduced at the end of your trip? I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but just wondering if they give that option.

Hello, this is my first NCL cruise. I've been on one cruise before, on Carnival. On Carnival, they have the service charge (sort of a mandatory gratuity) charged each day, each person. If you think it's too much, you can get it reduced at the end of the trip. There was always a lot of discussion about it on the Carnival discussion boards. I never see that discussed regarding NCL. Is there an option to have it reduced at the end of your trip? I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but just wondering if they give that option.

If you have a service related issue that would cause you to want to reduce the service charge they ask that you give shipboard management the opportunity to address the issue. If that doesn't meet with your satisfaction then you may make adjustments to the service charge.

It's an unadvertised cost of the trip. It is the Daily Service Charge and it's how the crew gets paid. Tips are what you give them after you've paid the DSC. Currently there is a lengthy thread that discusses the DSC on NCL. There is more info that you might find helpful there. Whether it is actually reducable is beside the point since it really needs to be paid.

In the unlikely event you consistently encounter horrible service from your room steward and restaurant waitstaff for the duration of your cruise, then go ahead and reduce it. I've never heard any reports of that occurring.

I personally prefer the DSC being added to the bill rather than having to mess with all of the envelopes, cash, trying to find the people. For extra special services I can always add extra, for really poor service (which I have never had) then I would have gone to the one on board who could take care of the situation. This is much easier.

And I know we'll be paying it and not having it reduced, my "frugal" husband wanted me to find out, but I always talk him into or out of things. lol

There is a differance between frugal and cheap. I too consider myself frugal. It is perfectly fine to ask, but many of us here on the NCL CC board, who love the NCL crews, defend their right to make a decent wage. I am expecting you too will discover the wonderful crews on the NCL ships and agree they are worth every penny and then some, as many of us, myself included, tip over and above the DSC.

Have a great trip!!!

Notice how I described my husband as "frugal" with quotes - I was being nice. lol! Thanks for forwarding me the link on the thread - I read it all and will show it to him so he knows all the opinions and all the info. Thank you! (Don't worry, I'm very convincing and will talk him out of reducing it.)

It's an unadvertised cost of the trip. It is the Daily Service Charge and it's how the crew gets paid. Tips are what you give them after you've paid the DSC. Currently there is a lengthy thread that discusses the DSC on NCL. There is more info that you might find helpful there. Whether it is actually reducable is beside the point since it really needs to be paid.

The dsc is the tip. If you are getting sub par service go to guest relations and explain the situation if you wish to alter the dsc. if you get above and beyond service you may tip those people extra personally. At your discretion

I am new to cruising but it seems to me that this system is more than fair. Sure you could tip crew members individually. But what about the ones that you never see personally who are essential to the day to day operations of the ship? Those folks that are cleaning the public areas of the ship or laundering linens and towels or chopping vegetables in the kitchen? They deserve their share too. Given all of the people who contribute to your positive shipboard experience, this service charge probably amounts to pennies per crew member per day.

I intend to tip early and often for personalized service above and beyond the daily service charge.

The dsc is the tip. If you are getting sub par service go to guest relations and explain the situation if you wish to alter the dsc. if you get above and beyond service you may tip those people extra personally. At your discretion

The DSC is not a tip. Without the DSC, the crew gets no pay. It is the crew's pay. A tip is anything given beyond the DSC.

Very true - it's comparable to a resort fee.

There are people who want to say it is for good service. I'll say that it is for the service that you get. If people feel they got great service and want to tip them, by all means do it. If you get service at all (which frankly is all the time) it needs to be paid.

There are people who want to say it is for good service. I'll say that it is for the service that you get. If people feel they got great service and want to tip them, by all means do it. If you get service at all (which frankly is all the time) it needs to be paid.

And if someone isn't getting the standard good-wonderful service, they need to take it up with the appropriate people. If it's your cabin steward, go to the director of housekeeping. If it's in a restaurant or bar, go see the food & beverage director. Corrections cannot be made if they don't know there's a problem - and in my experience, they WANT to know.

The DSC is not a tip. Without the DSC, the crew gets no pay. It is the crew's pay. A tip is anything given beyond the DSC.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The crew gets paid both a salary and also incentive programs funded by the DSC.

This is explained on the NCL FAQ section.

It is NOT correct to say "without the DSC, the crew gets no pay".

What is your source for this information?

The DSC is a pool of money that NCL uses for service related bonuses and also employee welfare benefits. THis money can be used for health, life, crew parties, employee recongnition etc. The crew GETS a normal wage in which to live, they are not feed bread and water wating for the gracious DSC to arrive.

This thread is the ultimate "3rd rail" on this board. Between the "you must always obey the DSC crowd" and the ultimate," I never gave an envelope crowd", this is the ultimate prepare to get trashed thread.

To answer you..can it be reduced...yes it can, it is voluntary but you will be challenged for the reason. All parties should be allowed to fix any short comings before a "penatly" is asseed.

Secondly this NOT an unadvertised "hidden" expense. If you have cruised ANY line in the last 30 years the tip practice has been ingrained in the industry and it should be. Instaed of carrying lots of cash to deposit in 10 envelopes, the DSC breaks it down into a simple day rate by passenger. This charge is clearly called out on all paperwork, etc. Your inability to read all the paperwork, is not NCL hiding this charge.

Enjoy your trip

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The crew gets paid both a salary and also incentive programs funded by the DSC.

This is explained on the NCL FAQ section.

It is NOT correct to say "without the DSC, the crew gets no pay".

What is your source for this information?

The DSC is a pool of money that NCL uses for service related bonuses and also employee welfare benefits. THis money can be used for health, life, crew parties, employee recongnition etc. The crew GETS a normal wage in which to live, they are not feed bread and water wating for the gracious DSC to arrive.

This thread is the ultimate "3rd rail" on this board. Between the "you must always obey the DSC crowd" and the ultimate," I never gave an envelope crowd", this is the ultimate prepare to get trashed thread.

To answer you..can it be reduced...yes it can, it is voluntary but you will be challenged for the reason. All parties should be allowed to fix any short comings before a "penatly" is asseed.

Secondly this NOT an unadvertised "hidden" expense. If you have cruised ANY line in the last 30 years the tip practice has been ingrained in the industry and it should be. Instaed of carrying lots of cash to deposit in 10 envelopes, the DSC breaks it down into a simple day rate by passenger. This charge is clearly called out on all paperwork, etc. Your inability to read all the paperwork, is not NCL hiding this charge.

Enjoy your trip

Sure, if you want to call a salary of between $50 and $100 per month (less maritime union dues) a "normal wage" or anything of the sort, they get "paid" without the DSC.

Straight from NCL...

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

So since I haven't used this cruise critic board much yet, I haven't figured out how to find certain threads of topics I might be interesed in. How can I find that thread that discusses the daily service charges? Thank you!

At the top of the page is a "search" tab. You would type in Daily Service Charge or whatever. A list of threads will come up with that subject in them.

I pre-pay the DSC. I then tip more directly to the person I want to give it to such as the steward. There are many crew who receive part of the DSC that we never see. Similarly, I tip for room service. I tip at the specialty restaurants. Anyone who drinks pays an automatic gratuity. I do not mid doing this at all and I live on a fixed income.

Yes, you may change the tip (DSC) to any amount you choose. It's completely at your discretion. Just go to the sevice desk and tell them you wish to adjust it. Many here will bash you at the mere thought of adjusting the tip, but it's your money and your choice. Some want to play word games about whether it's a tip or something else. In the end it's a tip for good, bad or excellent service. Hope these facts help you out.

Archived