grandbabies

I need some information on traveling with grandchildren. Where do I get the forms needed to allow them to travel with us? Also any medical permission forms that we might need? The kids both have passports and have traveled with them before. The parents were with all of us on that trip.

Thanks for any help/information anyone can pass on to me.

Try searching on this board on the word "permission" or "form" and there's bound to be posts with links to forms you can use. Then have both parents sign and notarize the permission to take their children on a cruise and out of country. Also do the same for a permission to treat for medical reasons.

Don't forget to ask the parents to pack their usual medications (Tylenol, etc.) along with dosage amounts for each child so you don't have to second guess. That medication can go into a ziplock bag or two. If the kids are very little, make sure to bring whatever diapers, pullups, sippy cups too.

Also the document needs to be signed and notarized within 30 days of travel. Any document outside that date range is not considered.

Do you know this for a fact? I am taking my granddaughter on a cruise in July and my notary told me that a notarized form is valid for a full year. I want to be sure to have all papers done properly to avoid any issues at the port.

My former daughter-in-law lives in a different state from me, so I was going to get the papers signed as soon as I could.

Edited by nyer

• 4 weeks later...

My Carnival PVP told me that they do not require a form but the customs/check-in people might ask for something. Carnival does not have a specific form, he said to just have a letter notarized with the information, dates of cruise, etc, giving you guardianship, etc. I may take the NCL form to help create my own form to use on the Carnival cruise with Grands next year. :)

My Carnival PVP told me that they do not require a form but the customs/check-in people might ask for something. Carnival does not have a specific form, he said to just have a letter notarized with the information, dates of cruise, etc, giving you guardianship, etc. I may take the NCL form to help create my own form to use on the Carnival cruise with Grands next year. :)

That's all we have ever taken with us. Took each grandson on their first and both have been Platinum for years.

Enjoy cruising with grandkids as it is a very special time for both.

I would call the cruiseline to see what their specific requirements are.

If you are on a closed loop cruise - you would only need to verify with the cruiseline (I see you are from Ohio - but not sure if you are sailing from a domestic port or not).

I recently took my daughter to the US (from Canada) without my hubby. I planned and fretted over this for weeks. Didn't want to go through the hassle of a notary for no reason (and one short trip). I found form letters on the US site and form letters on the Canadian site (CBSA). Each site recommended that a notarized form would be a good thing, but neither said it would be a requirement. In the end, I took the form letter from the CBSA site, which allowed for a "witnessed" signature. I was never even asked to show it, so i fretted over nothing.

If you are not travelling any international borders to board your cruise, I would only be concerned with what the cruiseline says is mandatory. My guess is that you will need a notarized form from the parents, but get the details and requirements directly from the source.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

As far as medical permission goes, just have the parents write out permission for you to make decisions...it's doesn't have to be a "form"....in case of emergency, they will treat the child. Do bring a list of any medical issues, and medications, etc....

If you are on a closed loop cruise - you would only need to verify with the cruiseline (I see you are from Ohio - but not sure if you are sailing from a domestic port or not).

I recently took my daughter to the US (from Canada) without my hubby. I planned and fretted over this for weeks. Didn't want to go through the hassle of a notary for no reason (and one short trip). I found form letters on the US site and form letters on the Canadian site (CBSA). Each site recommended that a notarized form would be a good thing, but neither said it would be a requirement. In the end, I took the form letter from the CBSA site, which allowed for a "witnessed" signature. I was never even asked to show it, so i fretted over nothing.

If you are not travelling any international borders to board your cruise, I would only be concerned with what the cruiseline says is mandatory. My guess is that you will need a notarized form from the parents, but get the details and requirements directly from the source.

My mother recently flew with 2 of my daughters to and from Canada, and needed the notarized letter! Fortunately, I have a local friend who is a notary. She has traveled to several different counties with them, always had a letter, but this was the first time she actually needed it.

My mother recently flew with 2 of my daughters to and from Canada, and needed the notarized letter! Fortunately, I have a local friend who is a notary. She has traveled to several different counties with them, always had a letter, but this was the first time she actually needed it.

mine was just a border crossing and I'm close enough to the border that it wasn't a major issue. For a flight, I would not take a chance.

It's not necessarily about what the cruise line requires. I've twice been asked by US Immigration when done with a closed-loop cruise for the documents proving I'm allowed to travel with my children. I would never cruise without the docs as you never know which official is going to be wary of non-custodial parent kidnapping.

We were also questioned when driving into Canada from Skagway on our Alaska cruise. One of the single moms with us did not have the documents and he let us cross anyway, but I would never travel with someone again who doesn't have the docs - could have made us all have to turn around.

Best,

Mia