Entry fee for Argentina

VegasPier

Entry fee for Argentina

Having just returned from a South American cruise on the Star Princess. I'm now the neighborhood expert on South American travel. A friend of mine will be taking a Princes cruise next January and would like to know if he will need to make that payment if he is in transit, He will be disembarking the ship in BA and transfer to the airport where he will fly home.

I was required to pay a entree fee when I arrived in Buenos Aires, but I was staying for three days before I left on my cruise. It was done via the internet and I had a "recipe" with a bar code.

I’d like to hear from anybody that has left the ship in BA and transferred to the airport for a flight home.

Cheers, VegasPier

We flew in to BA a couple of days before our Antarctica cruise a number of years ago and don't remember paying an 'entrance fee' but when flying home from there after the cruise had to pay an 'exit fee' of $10 before we were allowed through security. We had flights arranged by Princess so perhaps they had paid the 'entrance fee' without our knowledge.

It may depend on your friends nationality. If he/she/they are US citizens, then arriving by cruise ship starting in June will require the entry fee (somewhere around $150). It is payable in advance. Currently it only applies to US citizens arriving by air, but will be expanded shortly

Having recently booked a SA cruise for next year I found these websites about the process to search for an official answer for the current procedure. I read that the 'reprocity' fee has been in place for a couple of years but enforcement has been intermittant although apparently they're currently requiring the fee.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/ComoFunciona.aspx

Edited by Astro Flyer

Having recently booked a SA cruise for next year I found these websites about the process to search for an official answer for the current procedure. I read that the 'reprocity' fee has been in place for a couple of years but enforcement has been intermittant although apparently they're currently requiring the fee.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/ComoFunciona.aspx

I agree it has not been around for long and is arbitrary.

Currently the Reciprocity Fee applies to people flying in to Ezeiza International Airport in Argentina, not those on cruise ships and it doesn't apply to all nationalities. People from USA and Australia have to pay it, but people travelling on UK passports don't.

From 1st July passengers on cruise ships also have to pay this fee.

Currently the Reciprocity Fee applies to people flying in to Ezeiza International Airport in Argentina, not those on cruise ships and it doesn't apply to all nationalities. People from USA and Australia have to pay it, but people travelling on UK passports don't.

From 1st July passengers on cruise ships also have to pay this fee.

Nor do NZ passport holders.

Clarification. The bit that in bold does this apply to all nationalities.

I think it continues to apply only to citizens of countries that require visa for persons on Argentine passports. The amount of the fee is what the other country charges. US charges about $150, so Argentina changes people on US passports the same amount. The UK does not require a visa for Argentines, so they don't pay this fee.

I think it continues to apply only to citizens of countries that require visa for persons on Argentine passports. The amount of the fee is what the other country charges. US charges about $150, so Argentina changes people on US passports the same amount. The UK does not require a visa for Argentines, so they don't pay this fee.

Exactly so. It is a "reciprocity" fee, charged to citizens of countries that require residents of Argentina to pay for an entry visa. The fee applies to citizens of the United States, Canada and Australia. The amount charged varies by nationality and is based on the amount that country charges Argentinos for a visa.

The fee for residents of the United States is currently U$160. The fee is good for 10 years and must be paid on line prior to arrival.

Based on what I've read in my reservation for embarking in Buenos Aires it isn't a visa but a fee:

ARGENTINA RECIPROCITY FEE

Please review the following information regarding the reciprocity entry fee

applicable to U.S., Canadian and Australian passport holders arriving by air

into Argentina:

U.S.: USD $160 per person valid for 10 years from first entry date

Canada: USD $75 per person for 1 entry/USD $150 per person valid for 5 years

from first entry date

Australia: USD $100 per person valid for 1 year from first entry date

Effective November 1, 2012, U.S., Canadian, and Australian passport holders

visiting Argentina will be required to pay the reciprocity fee online at

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/. The fee must be paid

with a credit card. Once paid, the passenger must print the electronic receipt

and present it upon arrival in Argentina. Passengers arriving without the

electronic receipt will be denied entry into Argentina.

spacer.gif

CHILE RECIPROCITY FEE

Please review the following information regarding the reciprocity entry feeapplicable to U.S., Canadian, Australian, Mexican & Albanian passport holders

entering Chile through Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport, Santiago:

U.S. citizens: USD $160.00 per person - fee valid for life of passport

Canadian citizens: USD $132.00 per person - fee valid for life of passport

Australian citizens: USD $ 95.00 per person - fee valid for 3 months

Mexican citizens: USD $ 23.00 per person - fee valid for 3 months

Albanian citizens: USD $ 30.00 per person - fee valid for 3 months

The fee will be collected directly at the immigration office at the airport and

may be paid with cash (U.S. dollars) or Credit card (VISA and American Express)

Please note that the reciprocity fee may not be pre-paid and is subject to

change.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Based on what I've read in my reservation for embarking in Buenos Aires it isn't a visa but a fee:

ARGENTINA RECIPROCITY FEE

Please review the following information regarding the reciprocity entry fee

applicable to U.S., Canadian and Australian passport holders arriving by air

into Argentina:

U.S.: USD $160 per person valid for 10 years from first entry date

Canada: USD $75 per person for 1 entry/USD $150 per person valid for 5 years

from first entry date

Australia: USD $100 per person valid for 1 year from first entry date

Effective November 1, 2012, U.S., Canadian, and Australian passport holders

visiting Argentina will be required to pay the reciprocity fee online at

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/. The fee must be paid

with a credit card. Once paid, the passenger must print the electronic receipt

and present it upon arrival in Argentina. Passengers arriving without the

electronic receipt will be denied entry into Argentina.

spacer.gif

CHILE RECIPROCITY FEE

Please review the following information regarding the reciprocity entry feeapplicable to U.S., Canadian, Australian, Mexican & Albanian passport holders

entering Chile through Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport, Santiago:

U.S. citizens: USD $160.00 per person - fee valid for life of passport

Canadian citizens: USD $132.00 per person - fee valid for life of passport

Australian citizens: USD $ 95.00 per person - fee valid for 3 months

Mexican citizens: USD $ 23.00 per person - fee valid for 3 months

Albanian citizens: USD $ 30.00 per person - fee valid for 3 months

The fee will be collected directly at the immigration office at the airport and

may be paid with cash (U.S. dollars) or Credit card (VISA and American Express)

Please note that the reciprocity fee may not be pre-paid and is subject to

change.

Correct. It is a fee based on the amount charged to residents of Argentina for visas to visit their country but it is technically a fee not a visa.

Whatever it is called, you are still out 160 bucks if you are from the USA.

Edited by dr__dawggy

Correct. It is a fee based on the amount charged to residents of Argentina for visas to visit their country but it is technically a fee not a visa.

Whatever it is called, you are still out 160 bucks if you are from the USA.

Yep...it's probably both governments way to get more money out of us! :(

I think it is likely to apply to the same nationalities that it does now.

The key point is that US, Canadian and Australian cruise ship passengers have to pay this fee from 1st July.

I think it is likely to apply to the same nationalities that it does now.

The key point is that US, Canadian and Australian cruise ship passengers have to pay this fee from 1st July.

If the info from Princess is accurate it's been required since November 1, 2012.

If the info from Princess is accurate it's been required since November 1, 2012.

Absolutely not for people arriving by cruise ship. We were on the Grand Princess cruise around South America from January to March and we definitely did not have to pay the fee.

There was some confusion because many of us booked this cruise as three separate cruises. Princess added a note to our Personalisers to the effect that we had to pay the fee, but it became obvious that they added this comment to the personaliser of everyone who had booked the Buenos Aires-Valparaiso leg, without checking that we were already on the ship. Unfortunately some passengers paid it before finding out that they didn't have to pay it.

Absolutely not for people arriving by cruise ship. We were on the Grand Princess cruise around South America from January to March and we definitely did not have to pay the fee.

There was some confusion because many of us booked this cruise as three separate cruises. Princess added a note to our Personalisers to the effect that we had to pay the fee, but it became obvious that they added this comment to the personaliser of everyone who had booked the Buenos Aires-Valparaiso leg, without checking that we were already on the ship. Unfortunately some passengers paid it before finding out that they didn't have to pay it.

Thanks...that's good to know & since it's changed so often will have to keep track of it during the next year before we fly to BA for a few days before sailing back to LA.

Thanks...that's good to know & since it's changed so often will have to keep track of it during the next year before we fly to BA for a few days before sailing back to LA.

I don't think this fee will be removed. It is unusual for any government to take off a fee (or tax) once it is in place. :D

I don't think this fee will be removed. It is unusual for any government to take off a fee (or tax) once it is in place. :D

lol. Very true.

You were spot on in your earlier post about the key point

Effective July 1, 2013 there are no exemptions. All residents of Australia, the USA and Canada are subject to the fee whether arriving by air, land, or sea. This includes cruise ship passengers.

Much of the confusion concerning the fee is due to the gradual phase-in of enforcement and the change in method of payment.

The fee has been in place since 2009, but initially it was only enforced for international flights arriving at EZE airport in Buenos Aires. The fee was U$132 and was collected on arrival. This amount has changed several times to keep pace with the amount charged to residents of Argentina for a visa to visit the USA, Canada or Australia.

A year or so later Argentina started collecting the fee for international flights arriving at AEP airport in Buenos Aires in addition to EZE.

There were major changes in 2012. Collection points were expanded to include land crossings, all international airports in the country, and ships other than cruise lines, which were exempt until July 1, 2013.

The method of payment was also changed from collection on arrival to online payment before arrival.

Again, don't become confused by past policies and procedures. The bottom line is that if you arrive in Argentina by cruise ship after July 1 and you are a resident of one of the affected countries, you are required to pay the fee online before arrival.

And if you travel to Argentina before July 1 and arrive by any means other than a cruise ship, you are required to pay the fee online before you arrive.

Agree,

At least Argentina does not require the visa process like Brazil.

I'm very thankful that it's an easy procedure to pay the fee unlike for Brazil which the last time made it practically impossible to get without paying a company to get it. At least that was situation in LA last time we considered going to South America which added another $100+ per person to the cost for the visa just to go from the airport to the ship. :(

'Dr Dawggy'...thanks for locating more up-to-date information on the situation and I should've known better than to take something I read on Princess as being completely accurate. :o

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 years later...

I see that this thread is a couple of years old, so wondering if anybody from USA, Canada or AUS has updates or recent experience entering Argentina.

We'll be arriving in Argentina via ship, then heading to the airport (although we will have a few hours in between to shop or look around, as our flight doesn't leave until end of the day).

Our ship's website specifically had a message about the reciprocity fee being required for entry into Argentina (to be paid in advance online).

Has anybody ended their cruise in Argentina and had to show proof of payment? I'm just wondering how they would check a cruise ship of 3000 people. They would need to check each person's passport to verify nationality, and if a citizen of USA, Canada or AUS, then also check their receipt as proof of payment.

I guess what I'm asking is, do they check every cruise ship passenger? What happens if you lose your receipt?

Edited by Mulder155

I see that this thread is a couple of years old, so wondering if anybody from USA, Canada or AUS has updates or recent experience entering Argentina.

We'll be arriving in Argentina via ship, then heading to the airport (although we will have a few hours in between to shop or look around, as our flight doesn't leave until end of the day).

Our ship's website specifically had a message about the reciprocity fee being required for entry into Argentina (to be paid in advance online).

Has anybody ended their cruise in Argentina and had to show proof of payment? I'm just wondering how they would check a cruise ship of 3000 people. They would need to check each person's passport to verify nationality, and if a citizen of USA, Canada or AUS, then also check their receipt as proof of payment.

I guess what I'm asking is, do they check every cruise ship passenger? What happens if you lose your receipt?

I suggest you start a new thread for this. I don't have a definitive answer for you, but it's possible your cruise ship will require proof before you can board the ship.

From our NCL documents:

"The Argentine National Immigration Directorate (DNM) has launched a new online method of payment to enable payment of the reciprocity fee via credit card. US, Australian and Canadian citizens must pay the reciprocity fee before entering Argentina (by ship or air) at https://reciprocidad.provincianet.com.ar. Once paid, travelers must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry. Receipt will also be required to be presented to Ship Embarkation staff if traveling by ship.

More info is available at the following websites:

For US guests - http://www.embassyofargentina.us/en/consular-section/reciprocity-fee-for-us-citizens.html

For Australian guests - http://argentina.embassy.gov.au/baircastellano/TAreciprocityTAreciprocity.html

For Canadian guests - http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/argentina"