Cruising through a storm?

carnivaladdict

So I'm going on the Ecstasy this weekend and it seems like there's going to be a storm that will be in the vicinity. I've been on 10+ cruises but haven't ran into anything like this. If safety becomes an issue is there any chance that the cruise will cancel the voyage?

We cruised the Eastern Carib during a couple hurricanes. The ship stayed just out of range and we had the best time watching the storm in the distance from our balcony :)

Wow you're brave for being out there during that lol. I'm sure the winds were pretty crazy

They will never put you in harms way, but you may get a little seasick. I was on the Conquest once where the pool just about emptied itself as it swished back and forth. Last year on the Elation they had to put barf bags out at each stairwell.....but that is pretty rare.

Out of 8 Caribbean cruises with 5 of those being in August or September, we have only missed a port once due to a tropical storm. It was supposed to be a Grand Cayman stop and we stayed about 30 miles south and made it a sea day, then stopped at Costa Maya as a make-up port the next day. Seas were kind of rough and it rained a portion of the day since they had to go through some of the outer bands to stay on schedule, but not enough to scare me away from cruising at this time of year :)

We're on the Conquest this Monday out of Ft Lauderdale. How does Carnival notify you about your ship in this case? I doubt it will be in port on Monday unless it comes in on Sunday instead. Even then, the hurricane is coming right at the port. So - Tuesday? Just out luck! Anyone out there know?

We're on the Conquest this Monday out of Ft Lauderdale. How does Carnival notify you about your ship in this case? I doubt it will be in port on Monday unless it comes in on Sunday instead. Even then, the hurricane is coming right at the port. So - Tuesday? Just out luck! Anyone out there know?

As far as notification, you can sign up for updates on the on the Online Checkin area of Carnival's website. Look under Guest Info / Mobile Phone. There's an option for "I would like to receive text message alerts about this sailing on my mobile device."

As far as what Carnival will do, get ready for adventure, and go into it with a flexible attitude. Over the past few years I've seen:

• Cruises that stay out to sea for an extra day
  • Cruises that come in a day early to avoid the storm
  • Cruises that change their departure port, due to a hurricane slamming their planned departure port (for example, on Holland America two years ago, passengers arrived at Fort Lauderdale for their cruise departure, and were instead BUSSED to either Jacksonville or Port Canaveral -- I forget which...)

Bottom line, they'll do whatever they need to to keep you safe. Just keep hold of that flexible attitude and sense of adventure!!! And let us all know how it worked out. :D Enjoy your cruise.

It was far enough away that it wasn't bad. We also got to watch the lightning hit the ocean. Really cool!

I've been vacationing on different Caribbean islands that had tropical storms with winds up to 50mph pass over or nearby. Mother Nature can be awesome in her fury with trees uprooted, branches flying around and lightening putting on a show worthy of a 4th of July back in the States.

Only had to get evacuated once, Hurricane Luis, class 5 direct hit on Antigua. Was on the penultimate plane to leave the night before impact, wound up in Newark NJ and my car was parked at JFK, NY.

While cruise ships generally go around or avoid storms altogether, if I had to choose between being at sea or on an island during a storm, I'd opt for terra firma. Highest seas I've encountered were about 16', that was enough rockin and rollin for me.

We were on the Conquest and the ship sailed with clear skies above us and in the distance two storms one on either side of the ship. We left our balcony to go up on the front (before they locked the doors late at night) to watch and it was amazing. Stars above us and lighting dancing on the sides. Now I might not had been as excited if we were sailing in one of the storms.

While cruise ships generally go around or avoid storms altogether,

So I cruise in September for a lot of reasons, DW Birthday, our anniversary and multiple days off from work (5 weekdays this year in September).

I do not have many cruises and not all during Hurricane season but a majority.

11 Cruises 3 have been effected by Hurricanes of 3, one was actually in a Hurricane but tied up at a pier.

1995 Hurricane Marilyn, Puerto Rico Southern Caribbean port of calls changed, rough seas first and second day.

2012 Hurricane Sandy, left NYC for Canada on Saturday, Sunday night tied up in Boston with 21 lines and 2 tugs keeping us tied to the pier. Saturday/Sunday it was rough sailing. Our CC Meet and Greet was in the bar that is at the top of the ship (you take a moving walkway up to it). We were flopping all over the place. Even the bar team was holding on and no officers showed up for obvious reasons.

2014 Hurricane Arthur, boarding in NYC filling out Canadian Customs form, delayed boarding. Then PA announcement that we were going to Bermuda (4 day cruise) ears hurt from all the applause and shouting . A little rough on that day sailing but not as bad as the other two times.

FWIW

I was on a Miracle cruise that passed within 90 miles of the eye of Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico. We couldn't go any further south to avoid it because Cuba was in the way. It was very dark, the wind was howling, and it was pouring as you'd expect. But surprisingly the motion of the ship wasn't that bad at all. The captain said the fact the waves were coming from straight astern helped considerably. If they'd have been from the side it would have been far worse.

Naturally they had the stabilizers deployed too of course, which no doubt helped.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Cruises that change their departure port, due to a hurricane slamming their planned departure port (for example, on Holland America two years ago, passengers arrived at Fort Lauderdale for their cruise departure, and were instead BUSSED to either Jacksonville or Port Canaveral -- I forget which...)

I think there was one that bussed the passengers to the port of Tampa :) They left their vehicles in Ft Lauderdale and the ship returned to Lauderdale.