Was considering Bermuda but... Public Health Concern - Contaminated Beaches

cruiseat50

We have never been to Bermuda or New York so I was thinking of booking a cruise on the Breakaway. I never thought I'd even want to book on one of the new mega ships especially after checking out the Epic cabins. But the breakaway seems a bit better but their cabins look really small even in the suites which we usually book (aft).

Anyway I was really looking forward to this trip and was going to call my PCC to book it for next July to celebrate DH's birthday going to the famous pink sand beaches. But then I saw this in another thread. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/bermuda.html I can't understand how the gov't would allow this as isn't Bermuda's main source of income tourism? Since going to the beach would be high on our list I don't want to go and swim in a toilet bowl. I know fish do things in the ocean but this just creeps me out.:eek: It says its in the south end beaches but wouldn't currents, etc... put all the beaches at risk?

If you won't swim in Bermudas beaches you won't swim anywhere., there beaches are among the cleanest. We were in Bermuda in May and everything was fine despite what we read about the beaches being contaminated…

The BA is a great ship and Bermuda is absolutely beautiful…. Enjoy.

Edited by antsnanny

Dear cruisea50,

The Bermuda Isles are one of the nicest places on Earth. Cleaner than any Pacific ocean Port and seaside Worldwide.

On NCL you may have to enjoy yourself but take a few days to explore the area which helped create our freedom won. Bermuda was part of this Country too. So many things to see in those islands. If you play that Scots Game of Golf you will be amazed at some of the holes. Where the Ship lands is actually N. Ireland Island. Getting a Ferry /Bus Pass is a must if your able to obtain it aboard the ship.

on NCL the cabins/suites are becoming smaller and smaller but not many people spend a lot of time in them..

For any Cruise Line NYC/R/T to the Bermuda Islands is the least costly for petrol as look at the nautical miles traveled. It is PROFIT!

Have a wonderful time. Oh to save Tons of Money Stay in New Jersey and cross the river by train, bus, car. You get the same benefits at all the hotels but pay sometimes 80-90 percent less..

No Tax on Shoes not Clothes , nor container deposits. So yes soda, water etc.. and fuel is so much less too.

Think of all the benefits and so so much less cost.:cool:

We have never been to Bermuda or New York so I was thinking of booking a cruise on the Breakaway. I never thought I'd even want to book on one of the new mega ships especially after checking out the Epic cabins. But the breakaway seems a bit better but their cabins look really small even in the suites which we usually book (aft).

Anyway I was really looking forward to this trip and was going to call my PCC to book it for next July to celebrate DH's birthday going to the famous pink sand beaches. But then I saw this in another thread. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/bermuda.html I can't understand how the gov't would allow this as isn't Bermuda's main source of income tourism? Since going to the beach would be high on our list I don't want to go and swim in a toilet bowl. I know fish do things in the ocean but this just creeps me out.:eek: It says its in the south end beaches but wouldn't currents, etc... put all the beaches at risk?

Actually you should be far more concerned about the pharmaceutical products contaminating your home town waste water system. They Can Not be filtered out and may find there way into your drinking water .

Well, if raw sewage is a concern, you'll want to stay out of the waters near your home, too. According to this recent article in Seattle major newspaper, Vancouver Island is doing the very same thing to the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and Puget Sound: :eek:

http://seattletimes.com/html/editorials/2023787772_victoriasewageeditxml.html

Edited by wwcruisers