Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Yep! I have gotten so spoiled by my DVR function that I watch virtually no "live" programming any more! I no longer have any patience for the ads!

I've gone so far as to pause it at 9pm when the show starts for about 15-20 minutes, do some things around the house and come back so there is enough paused time to fast forward :rolleyes: Shameful I know

That dress on Heidi at the beginning made her look about seven months pregnant.

Do you think having a passport is one of the requirements for being on the show? Obviously Sean had one but the others didn't seem to.

Edited by Scrapnana

That dress on Heidi at the beginning made her look about seven months pregnant.

I thought the same thing.

Do you think having a passport is one of the requirements for being on the show? Obviously Sean had one but the others didn't seem to.

Could be, they probably have all their bases covered. Maqybe it's because I haven't watched PR for awhile but I don't remember the designers having to use something as their inspiration for their collection, in this case Rome. Seemed they were always free do do their own thing whatever their own inspiration might be.

I was surprised with the judges reaction to Kini's mini-collection.

I was more surprised by his outfits. I thought the coat and skirt were terrible but I did love the white top with the skirt. Wonder how he's going to pull out of the depths he's in both design wise and mentally.

Sorry, but I still do not think Char deserved to be in the finals. I thought that maybe, just maybe, she would show that she DID deserve her position. Maybe when push comes to shove she will prove me wrong but, what she showed last night lackluster. The only hint of "something" for me, was the blue dress which she didn't showcase. No cohesion that I could see for a collection.

All in all, I am less than wowed with anyone, unlike in previous seasons.

I can't remember whether the "pre-show" of a mini-collection for the purpose of hearing the judges' critiques was something they'd ever done on PR before. Anyone help me out? Of course there were the times when the judges decided between two designers using a mini-collection runway show, but have they ever done it just to give advice? I wondered if the producers chose to do it because they were afraid the designers would embarrass themselves and the show itself at Fashion Week because their collections were inferior: boring or amateurish...

The mini-show critique would have been a good idea if the designers had a day or two to make changes...but they didn't.

If I had been one of the designers, I certainly would have chosen to put into this brief runway show any of the items in my collection that I was "unsure" about -- just to find out what the judges thought. It seems that some of the designers may have done this... I cannot remember any other time when the judges told a designer to eliminate a piece for their final collections -- but they did this week, twice!

My vote goes to Sean this week -- fringe or no, his stuff was great, IMO.

I can't remember whether the "pre-show" of a mini-collection for the purpose of hearing the judges' critiques was something they'd ever done on PR before. Anyone help me out? Of course there were the times when the judges decided between two designers using a mini-collection runway show, but have they ever done it just to give advice? I wondered if the producers chose to do it because they were afraid the designers would embarrass themselves and the show itself at Fashion Week because their collections were inferior: boring or amateurish...

The mini-show critique would have been a good idea if the designers had a day or two to make changes...but they didn't.

If I had been one of the designers, I certainly would have chosen to put into this brief runway show any of the items in my collection that I was "unsure" about -- just to find out what the judges thought. It seems that some of the designers may have done this... I cannot remember any other time when the judges told a designer to eliminate a piece for their final collections -- but they did this week, twice!

My vote goes to Sean this week -- fringe or no, his stuff was great, IMO.

I don't remember them doing just a critique before. Like you said, I remember using a mini-collection to make it three designers instead of four.

I like Sean's show too, but I don't know if Nina will let him win since she is tired of fringe.

I don't remember them doing just a critique before. Like you said, I remember using a mini-collection to make it three designers instead of four.

I like Sean's show too, but I don't know if Nina will let him win since she is tired of fringe.

Sean: strangled by fringe? :rolleyes:

If it isn't Sean, who's your money on?

Sean: strangled by fringe? :rolleyes:

If it isn't Sean, who's your money on?

I would have said Kini until that disastrous show this week. Now I think it might be Amanda. I personally don't care for her style but she shows sack dresses that they love.

If I were 25 and a size 2 I would want to wear Sean's clothes.

I think Char's mini collection was every bit as good as the other three -- but that's not saying anything. Two out of her three looks worked. None of Kini's did. Sean's were okay.

Amanda? Well, at least she has a consistent point of view. I'm not a fan of her style, but she has one. I see her winning. But I really have no favorite. They can all go home as far as I'm concerned.

Bring on Chris March in all-stars!

I think Char's mini collection was every bit as good as the other three -- but that's not saying anything. Two out of her three looks worked. None of Kini's did. Sean's were okay.

Yawn to all.

Amanda? Well, at least she has a consistent point of view. I'm not a fan of her style, but she has one. I see her winning. But I really have no favorite. They can all go home as far as I'm concerned.

I completely agree and not sure I have ever seen such a weak bunch.

Bring on Chris March in all-stars!

BOO-YEAH!!! That's a yes.:D

http://www.chrismarchdesign.com/Portfolio/Pages/Fashion.html

My favorite of the four won, so I'm happy. Now I can freely go to Tom and Lorenzo's and see all the runway shows I missed.

Did anyone else notice that Tim said the final 4 were the most talented designers he's ever worked with? :eek: (He's probably said that every season and I just didn't notice...:rolleyes:)

I will say that Sean had better make good on winning all that money, because in spite of my distaste for Amanda's style, I agreed with Rossum that she seemed determined to make a success of herself. Sean had better do likewise, or I will begin to feel sorry for Amanda! The judges said the decision was very close. But she obviously has a champion in Nina, who said as Amanda was leaving, "But you will be featured in Marie Claire!"

Swore I would not watch the kiddie version, Threads -- the idea of watching a bunch of precocious children expected to behave as if they were actual adults makes my skin crawl... but I confess that I hit "record series" on my DVR -- just to prove to myself that I won't watch more than ten minutes of it, I guess...:o

I will tune All Stars in, though I do a tremendous amount of fast forwarding through that, often. Sometimes the personalities are so unpleasant....

So I just looked at the 9 shows that actually ran at Fashion Week. Now I am more confused than ever about how this competition works -- did the judges decide on the final four designers after they had already seen the runway shows of those that had not yet been eliminated? If so, how did they not take into consideration how good their final shows looked? And did all nine get 4 weeks and 9 grand to make a final collection? (they must have done...) Probably no one on this thread knows the ins and outs of this, but perhaps someone can figure out a logical timeline? It really makes no sense to me.

Korina's final show was way better than Char's -- Korina was right when she said she was a much better designer than Char... Though it was a little tiresome that everything was in leather (or pleather?), which I would not wear, I loved Korina's style, colors, patterns.

What I don't understand is why didn't the designers show such fabulous stuff throughout the competition? Was it the time and money limitations that kept them from producing their best? I was shocked at how modern Sandhya's looks were in her final show. Yes, her stuff still looked a little "artsy-crafty" but nothing like what she'd shown during the season. Much more polished, coherent, relevant (though I wasn't a fan of her messages on every garment...)

Fade's stuff, as I had suspected, was my all-time favorite from the season. I liked his prints, colors, styles, everything -- except his philosophical messages. But I think lots of young people who fancy themselves rebels would want to display his messages on their bodies. He showed several things that I would actually wear -- but of course that is a death knell for a modern designer -- that a suburban Mom of a "certain age" would want to wear his outfits! ;)

He showed several things that I would actually wear -- but of course that is a death knell for a modern designer -- that a suburban Mom of a "certain age" would want to wear his outfits!

How many times has Heidi said "I would totally wear that"...... and she too is a suburban Mom of a certain age, so don't sell your taste short ;)

So I just looked at the 9 shows that actually ran at Fashion Week. Now I am more confused than ever about how this competition works -- did the judges decide on the final four designers after they had already seen the runway shows of those that had not yet been eliminated? If so, how did they not take into consideration how good their final shows looked? And did all nine get 4 weeks and 9 grand to make a final collection? (they must have done...) Probably no one on this thread knows the ins and outs of this, but perhaps someone can figure out a logical timeline? It really makes no sense to me.

From what I have been able to piece together (from comments on this thread) all of the episodes except the last two are filmed before the designers are sent home to make their collections. I would guess that the eliminated designers would be given the same money.

Evidently the eliminated designers only show so we don't know who the final three or four are 6-7 weeks early (although I think it is a bonus for them to be "seen").

I'm not sure how they film the scenes where you see eliminated (but showing) designers in the audience. Could be the professional equivalent of photoshopping or staged somehow, I suppose.

Korina's final show was way better than Char's -- Korina was right when she said she was a much better designer than Char... Though it was a little tiresome that everything was in leather (or pleather?), which I would not wear, I loved Korina's style, colors, patterns.

I did like the fabric that Char bought in Rome. I realize prints are not well received on PR (Heidi made that comment about going on a cruise about a print, IIRC) but I still like them.

What I don't understand is why didn't the designers show such fabulous stuff throughout the competition? Was it the time and money limitations that kept them from producing their best? I was shocked at how modern Sandhya's looks were in her final show. Yes, her stuff still looked a little "artsy-crafty" but nothing like what she'd shown during the season. Much more polished, coherent, relevant (though I wasn't a fan of her messages on every garment...)

Fade's stuff, as I had suspected, was my all-time favorite from the season. I liked his prints, colors, styles, everything -- except his philosophical messages. But I think lots of young people who fancy themselves rebels would want to display his messages on their bodies. He showed several things that I would actually wear -- but of course that is a death knell for a modern designer -- that a suburban Mom of a "certain age" would want to wear his outfits!

I think Fade is a designer who works better at his own pace. I don't understand the random words on the clothes. Personally, I don't know how the designers come up with an idea and choose the fabrics in such a short time.

;)

Looking forward to the All Stars.

Fade's stuff, as I had suspected, was my all-time favorite from the season. I liked his prints, colors, styles, everything -- except his philosophical messages. But I think lots of young people who fancy themselves rebels would want to display his messages on their bodies. He showed several things that I would actually wear -- but of course that is a death knell for a modern designer -- that a suburban Mom of a "certain age" would want to wear his outfits! ;)

There are two timelines -- show broadcast and reality. At the time of the real runway shows, the judges/producers knew who the final 4 were (every episode up to that one was already shot -- at least 4 weeks earlier -- and waiting). However, the audience/public did not know the final 4. In broadcast time there were still 9 designers in the competition when the real MBFW happened.

So, the reason all those designers got to show was due to the difference between the broadcast schedule and real time. The producers pretty much have to do this, or have a big hiatus (no shows) between picking the final competitors and the finale (MBFW) so the top designers can make their collection. The difference changes season-to-season. At one point, PR had only the final designers show at MBFW but it was anonymous at the real show -- you didn't know who did what. That was really lousy for the designers. This is much better.

I have no idea about equal budgets and time for designing. I wish Blue Heron would enlighten us.

I agree about the final non-winner collections. Fade is my favorite, too. I'm old but I would wear his clothes (if they came big enough) even with the slogans (I'm still a rebel ha ha). Sandyha's was a big eye-opener. Emily's was a huge disappointment to me. I expected to love hers.

As to the ultimate winner? Comments made it feel like Emily Possum and Nina preferred Amanda. But selecting Sean did reaffirm Heidi's choice of his fringe dress. Plus, Amanda was getting a redo. I feel like the final choice was producer driven.

I suspect the difference in the final runway and individual competitions is stress, time, and the fact that the designers have to jump through hoops ("update a 50s look," "make a dress out of garbage," "find inspiration in this stupid TV show," etc.).

How many times has Heidi said "I would totally wear that"...... and she too is a suburban Mom of a certain age, so don't sell your taste short ;)

Well, if Heidi can be categorized that way, then I guess we have a lot in common! :) However... I myself do not have "supermodel" on my resume (except in my husband's eyes ;)). On the other hand, I would not wear most of the garments Heidi commends in those glowing terms!

I don't sell my taste short -- but I am one of those viewers who tends to prefer the garments that the PR judges denigrate as "wearable" or "commercial." (No surprise there...) :rolleyes:

But as is undoubtedly the case with all of us, I can also enthuse over a garment that I myself would never wear.

But as is undoubtedly the case with all of us, I can also enthuse over a garment that I myself would never wear.

Same here.....I think over the years PR has gotten me to think out of the box and given me an appreciation for clothing I wouldn't wear. This first became noticeable to me with Christian Siriano, I could totally see his talent even though none of his clothes were my style. I have come to recognize if something is well made and other positive qualities in things I might find unappealing.

"Threads," is promising to become PR for kids.

I watched it last Thursday, and those kids did show a talent for design. I was amazed by the clothing that these kids produced with the help of their assistants (parents).

Bradford won. His gown was lovely, but the street dress was a hot mess.

I don't sell my taste short -- but I am one of those viewers who tends to prefer the garments that the PR judges denigrate as "wearable" or "commercial." (No surprise there...) :rolleyes:

I'm the same. But can a designer "make it big" if they don't make at least some clothes that are "wearable" and "commercial"? Many (probably most) of the successful designers do just that.

I'm the same. But can a designer "make it big" if they don't make at least some clothes that are "wearable" and "commercial"? Many (probably most) of the successful designers do just that.

In today's world, the big money must be made in "ready to wear," I should think. Yes, there is a cadre of people across the world who pay for bespoke garments -- royalty, stars, moguls -- but even they buy ready to wear, too, I imagine. But I keep reminding myself that the show is called Project Runway, not Project Clothes Rack. The runway is all about the "wow" factor, which is then translated and toned down by the designers for their stores. But folks buy "designer" ready to wear because of the designer's name, which became known because of the runway and various red carpets. Then various clothing manufacturers take some of the basic ideas from the designers (color, hemlines, style details, etc.) and have "commercial" stuff made up to be purchased by the masses (that includes me) at Penney's, Macy's and Target. (And of course, people say that by the time the styles get into the regular department stores, they are already passé, because new ideas are already being put forth on the runways!

So I guess from the point of view of the judges on PR, until the competitors can create those "wow" looks and make names for themselves, there's no point in producing "wearable" stuff. This is why the designers are also judged on their styling and make-up choices. It's all about the "show" on the runway.

I can highly recommend a BBC mini-series called "The House of Elliot," (1991-94), which portrays a 1920's fictional London fashion house founded by a couple of sisters who started as children sewing clothes for themselves out of necessity. Though I don't really know much about the fashion industry, this series seems to me to paint a plausible picture of what "building a brand" must be like.

MV5BMTk1MTAxNDAxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTMzODE1MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR8,0,214,317_AL_.jpghttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101123/