DIY laundry suggestions

I am going on a 14 day cruise this fall and in the best of all worlds the DW and I would pack everything into our 2 carry-ons. With all things going perfect, that sounds like a wish seeking fulfillment. But then there is me!:( Me who cannot eat a snack or a meal without dribbling something on my shirt or dripping some thing on my shorts. I could go through the couple of pairs of t-shirts, shorts, etc in 3 days.

I know there is a laundry service that is pay-as-you-go, but I was looking for some DIY in cabin suggestions from the seasoned CC frequent sailors.

I was thinking that a few stain removers, a prewash soaking product, along with a scrub-brush and some 2.5 gallon zip lock bags might make the diy washing more effective. Any suggestions?

I have a small container of a gel handwash from france that I carry with me, and a rubber sink drainer cover. I carry shout stain remover wipes but rarely use them, and a tide pen doesn't work for me. I do handwash many times when I travel - either because I've packed light or because I'm messy (or, you know, both:o) On some trips I'll carry a travel clothesline, but not on cruises as the bathrooms will have a retractable line in the shower.

(if I'm on a beach trip, I tend to bring Dr. Bronners as it's really multipurpose and safe to sea life. If I'm desperate and have nothing with me, I'll use the shampoo in the cabin/hotel room if available - not all the places I travel have amenities ;-)

This is what I use (I decanted a small amount into another bottle to fit in my 3-1-1) Yes, I did most of my souvenir shopping at Monoprix on my last trip to Paris ;-)

https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-3778-genie-sans-frotter-gel-express-main-tube-200ml.aspx

If I don't have space for carry-on liquid soap, I also have Fels Naptha soap and will break off a chunk or two and put in a ziploc. Great on laundry!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Which cruiseline? Some have laundries for passenger use. Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and just pay to have some things laundered! The sinks are so small...very hard to wash out more than a swimsuit or panties!

Some HAL ships have self-service laundries and for $1 or $2 you can do a wash.

The cabin I book has laundry and dry cleaning included but the ships I know have such laundries are Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam and Prinsendam. The other HAL ships have no self-service laundries.

I always hand wash my 'dainties' and hang them to dry over the tub on clothesline provided in all HAL cabins. I often use the provided shampoo for soap. I figure if it is gentle enough for my hair, it is gentle enough for my undies.

I hand wash on every cruise. I use Campsuds as a detergent. It is environmentally safe, a consternate, and works well. A two ounce bottle is more then enough for a two week cruise. My basic routine is to wash my clothing before showering. I then roll the clothing in a towel to remove excess moisture and hang them to dry. I use inflatable hangers and clothespins with hooks. I like hooks because they give me more options for hanging. I can use the hooks to hang on the cloths line or any place else. Inflatable hangers allow better airflow and thus faster drying.

Not all clothing fabrics are great for hand washing. Most clothing that claims to dry fast, wrinkle free, and underwear and socks are good choices. Socks may take a couple of days to dry. Articles that need pressing I let the cruise line clean and press.

When my cruise I have very little that needs cleaning.

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-Campsuds-Purpose-Cleaner/dp/B000TTL8GC/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1405365481&sr=1-1&keywords=campsuds

Shak

If your ship has a laundry room, I'd go with that. I found travel packs of Tide detergent that I brought with us, along with dryer sheets. I also brought travel packs of Shout for stains. Laundry was $3 per machine, but much cheaper than sending it out for service.

Which cruiseline? Some have laundries for passenger use. Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and just pay to have some things laundered! The sinks are so small...very hard to wash out more than a swimsuit or panties!

NCL Dawn, and they only have a laundry service. My DW says I should use a bib!

Edited by untailored bostonian

I have a small container of a gel handwash from france that I carry with me, and a rubber sink drainer cover. I carry shout stain remover wipes but rarely use them, and a tide pen doesn't work for me. I do handwash many times when I travel - either because I've packed light or because I'm messy (or, you know, both:o) On some trips I'll carry a travel clothesline, but not on cruises as the bathrooms will have a retractable line in the shower.

(if I'm on a beach trip, I tend to bring Dr. Bronners as it's really multipurpose and safe to sea life. If I'm desperate and have nothing with me, I'll use the shampoo in the cabin/hotel room if available - not all the places I travel have amenities ;-)

This is what I use (I decanted a small amount into another bottle to fit in my 3-1-1) Yes, I did most of my souvenir shopping at Monoprix on my last trip to Paris ;-)

https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-3778-genie-sans-frotter-gel-express-main-tube-200ml.aspx

If I don't have space for carry-on liquid soap, I also have Fels Naptha soap and will break off a chunk or two and put in a Ziploc. Great on laundry!

Fels Naptha looks like something to take. I've thought of shout gel too. The large Ziploc bag would let me let the items soak and stick them sink while they soak.

In this forum is a thread about packing only a carry-on. One woman detailed her packing list for 21 days [7 on land, 14 on a cruise]. I'd love to duplicate her feat, but with other clothing options of course.:p Since I won't wear that bib, I'll have to do a washing or three.

Edited by untailored bostonian

................... I'll have to do a washing or three.

Or launder your clothes every day. Doesn't take much time when it's just some underwear, socks and maybe a shirt.

Use Febreeze:D

SEE! This is why you ask questions at CC. Someone will always have your answers.

I've made homemade soap with Fels Naptha as one of the items and in doing so, I grate it with an old cheese grater using the small size grates. Dissolves better that way. Hadn't thought of using it for travel washing emergencies, but will now. Though Campsuds sounds like an option too. Thanks for the question and the answers.

SEE! This is why you ask questions at CC. Someone will always have your answers.

And if we don't we will give our opinion anyways. :D;)

You can use hair conditioner as a softener.

Edited by SadieN

I rarely travel light or wash clothing when I travel but these sites that you posted have some great information in case I ever need to pack light and do laundry while traveling.

Thanks for sharing!:D

The "Plastic Bag Washing Machine" works really well, especially for situations where sinks are tiny.

You just need to carry a few extra-large zip lock bags, plus travel detergent (or you could use shampoo I guess). Put warm or cool water in the bag, add the detergent and clothes. Seal the bag and shake it around for a while.

Don't overfill the bag though - can be messy LOL.

Any bad stains or soiling may need extra treatment. Pretreat with stain remover if you can. After the initial wash "cycle" stand the bag in the sink so the water stays in it and treat the garment with a bit of extra detergent and some gentle rubbing.

Then rinse the clothing, wring gently, and roll in a towel to remove excess water. Hang or drape clothing to dry.

Usually there is shower gel provided on the ship or in the hotel. I use this rather than the shampoo.

I've been known to buy a small container of laundry detergent in a local store. In the scheme of expenses, this is tiny. I do carry my own dryer sheets.

Silk? I've been reading recommendations to travel with silk clothing, especially blouses. They were hand washing it and are quite anti dry cleaning. If you don't have an iron, how would you keep it looking nice? Any thoughts on travel with silk?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can use hair conditioner as a softener.

I use hotel-provided conditioner to shave my legs. Or I pack shave oil - travel cans of shaving cream are too big!!

Any thoughts on travel with silk?

I love silk but anything I would travel with (in a place without a hotel or rental apt iron) would be a silk knit. Pretty much the same with linen, though I don't mind a wrinkled linen wide pant - very casual. Not for a business trip;)

I started using Campsuds way back in the 70s when I was a frequent backpacker and camper. I used Dr. Bonner's stuff, too. Good multi-purpose stuff!!! I'll still take a little if I have room in my quart bag after taking anything else I really need. If no room, I've been using the little leaves of detergent I've found at my local REI. I've also seen them in Magellan's catalog:

http://www.rei.com/product/785917/sea-to-summit-pocket-laundry-wash#descriptionTab

I'm pretty good at doing a little hand washing every night. It really doesn't take much time at all. And, like some others have said, you gotta travel with the right clothes that allow the easy washing.

I started using Campsuds way back in the 70s when I was a frequent backpacker and camper. I used Dr. Bonner's stuff, too. Good multi-purpose stuff!!! I'll still take a little if I have room in my quart bag after taking anything else I really need. If no room, I've been using the little leaves of detergent I've found at my local REI. I've also seen them in Magellan's catalog:

http://www.rei.com/product/785917/sea-to-summit-pocket-laundry-wash#descriptionTab

I'm pretty good at doing a little hand washing every night. It really doesn't take much time at all. And, like some others have said, you gotta travel with the right clothes that allow the easy washing.

The little sheets clean well but are low-sudsing. One sheet was almost too much for two undies and two pair of socks. Soap doesn't have to sud to work well.

REI also sells refillable bottles in hard to find sizes. I also use eyedrop bottles for when I need only a puny amount of liquid.

Edited by SadieN

I use the stuff in the shower dispenser as laundry detergent. Small items go in the sink and soak while I'm showering, larger ones come into the shower with me. I rinse everything with the shower head (if it's handheld - much faster than the sink), wring out excess moisture, roll them in a towel for a few minutes and then hang them to dry.

Remember to ask your stateroom attendant for extra towels each day. Also remember to take the clothes out of the towel. One attendant had to race to the laundry to retrieve my black pants before they went into the laundry with bleach.:eek: Actually, he didn't have to, but he was fab.

Check out the bundling technique for packing. I managed 20 garments in one bundle and it didn't even make my suitcase bulge, not even a little bit. Properly coordinated and washed on occasion, they will last me for 2 weeks, at least that's the plan!

If a ship has self-laundry, using the washing sheets. I use that; sometimes we use the 'fill the bag' ship laundry.

But, mostly, I handwash undies and exercise clothes; rarely anything large like slacks or shirts. It only takes five minutes or so a day.

I used to bring small size laundry soaps, but now use either the shampoo/gel or bar soap. Sometimes I wash items in the shower, more often in the sink. I roll in a towel and hang in the shower--they dry fairly quickly, since I'm mostly doing small items.

The little sheets clean well but are low-sudsing. One sheet was almost too much for two undies and two pair of socks. Soap doesn't have to sud to work well.

REI also sells refillable bottles in hard to find sizes. I also use eyedrop bottles for when I need only a puny amount of liquid.

I never use more than 2 sheets. Yes, they are low-sudsing. But, just like sulfate-free shampoos, you don't need suds to be getting clean ;)

I have a sH(t-load of little bottles of all sizes. I have my classic little Nalgenes from REI from backpacking, to my newest Toobs… It all depends on where I'm going and what I want to take.