Tipping Baggage Handlsers at the port

scaper

What is customary to tip the baggage handlers at the port when we drop off our bags?

We are leaving tomorrow from Tampa

You actually only tip them is you ask them to MOVE your bags. I see people tip the people that just take the bags after lugging them over to them. Internal snickers.

If I "hire" someone to take my bags from point A to point B, or reverse, it's usually .50 a bag, or $1 if it's not many.

We have always tipped $1 per bag (no matter how big or small the bag is). And since we are Platinum I make sure they know to put the orange sticker on it so it is delivered to the room quickly (even though it says Platinum right on the tag it is a good idea to let them know we get priority baggage delivery! WE usually throw a few more dollars as well! :)

I can't believe some people would not tip anything at all, just like a waitress these guys DEPEND on those tips!

We have always tipped $1 per bag (no matter how big or small the bag is). And since we are Platinum I make sure they know to put the orange sticker on it so it is delivered to the room quickly (even though it says Platinum right on the tag it is a good idea to let them know we get priority baggage delivery! WE usually throw a few more dollars as well! :)

I can't believe some people would not tip anything at all, just like a waitress these guys DEPEND on those tips!

The guys that really deserve the tip are the guys that being the stuff through the ship and to your room. Some ports tell you not to tip the guys that simply take your bags.

From what I have always understood...the porters do not work for the cruise lines. They are unionized and make quite a good living and the tips being gravy...or icing on the cake.

Am I wrong? Someone correct me if I am.

We always tip $1 per bag....

Edited by champagne123
zzzzz

From what I have always understood...the porters do not work for the cruise lines. They are unionized and make quite a good living and the tips being gravy...or icing on the cake.

Am I wrong? Someone correct me if I am.

We always tip $1 per bag....

You are correct. I usually tip $2 or so per bag as well. So far, my bags have ALWAYS arrived aboard ship. :D

"SKY"

You actually only tip them is you ask them to MOVE your bags. I see people tip the people that just take the bags after lugging them over to them. Internal snickers.

If I "hire" someone to take my bags from point A to point B, or reverse, it's usually .50 a bag, or $1 if it's not many.

I am one of the people you seem doing that. I tip if all they do is take the bag from me and put it in the bin. They are doing something for me.

$10 for 3 bags, Plus, We always look at name tags and use THEIR names! Two Fold Reason: People like hearing their names when paying them a complement, AND, your baggage handler will know that you know their name should something happen with your luggage.

Matt

What is customary to tip the baggage handlers at the port when we drop off our bags?

We are leaving tomorrow from Tampa

We do and I see a lot of other people do the same thing so I would say it is

customary to tip the baggage handlers.

Have a great trip we sail on the same ship in 2 weeks

It is true, they work for the port and make good money. I will give them $1/bag just so I know they will treat my bag right and not remember it as a non-tippers bag and have a little fun with it--meaning it gets to me a little more battered and bruised than usual.....

It is true, they work for the port and make good money. I will give them $1/bag just so I know they will treat my bag right and not remember it as a non-tippers bag and have a little fun with it--meaning it gets to me a little more battered and bruised than usual.....

They don't know or remember you 5 seconds after you walk away. The porter loads the carts; the carts get loaded by machinery. After the porter loads my luggage on the cart I tip them $5-$10 but I am under no delusion that I am paying them to not have fun/batter/mess with my bag. They don't have the time or opportunity to; they want to get to the next person for their next tip.

Me too. I want my bags to actually make it on the ship.

What really irritates me is when the baggage handler won't even say Thank You for the tip. Makes me want to take it back! On our cruise a couple of weeks ago they guy just ignored it as if I hadn't given him a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums