Grand cayman

meganj

We have been so many times we just stay on the ship now. Personally, Grand Caymans is one of my least favorites.

If this is your first time you might like the Turtle farm or snorkeling is nice there.

If you plan on getting off the ship and walking around, not much at port, pretty expensive. We paid $18 for 2 drafted beers. There are a few shops, Marguaritaville, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. We did enjoy going down to Devils Grotto and watching the tarpon.

What port in Jamaica?

Just came back from there last week. We went swimming with stingrays for $65. The best $65 I've ever spent. Stingray sailing dot com... I would never do the excursion with another company. Read the trip advisor reviews. Incredible.

Burger lunch on the way back cost us $50 before drinks, though!

Edited by mumtopugs

Cayman has a standard of living equal to or higher than most counties in the US

I've considered moving there perm'ntly

as compared to other islands .. gonna find some cheap souvies? NO

Cheap bars? well there IS a M'ville but it ain't cheap . . .

on the other hand

gonna be hounded for hair braids? NO

cheap t-shirts? NO

wanna set up a tax 'isolated' account? MAYBE . . .

It is one of the more "prosperous" islands...banking capital of the Caribbean! You won't see the same poverty here that you see in many of the other Caribbean countries, which many people like. I know many are quite distressed when they see how other's live in poorer places!

We loved the Carnival excursion we did- Allura Catamaran Stingray Swim. We don't usually do ship excursions but chose to since it is a tender port. The trip out to the sandbar was so beautiful. The water color was stunning. It was a great experience to interact with the rays. I highly recommend.

Grand Cayman is in no way your normal Caribbean island with a standard of living that of a 1st world country and actually better than most 1st world. Certainly not an inexpensive island to visit but so clean, safe, and nice. :)

Most going to Grand Cayman for a first visit enjoy swimming with the stingrays. ;)

LuLu

DH & I first visited Grand Cayman on our honeymoon cruise 18.5 years ago. We loved it so much that we went back on other cruises, then for land vacations, and 10 years ago we built a vacation home there. We now visit multiple times a year, totalling anywhere from 8-12 weeks per year on island.

Safe. Friendly. Clean. Modern. Drinkable tap water. Excellent restaurants with a wide variety of foods. Can use credit & bank cards from home without issues or worries. Lots of great attractions. Awesome beaches. Fabulous weather.

One of my favourite vacation spots in the world.

We absolutely LOVE Grand Cayman. I think it has some of the most beautiful crystal clear water.

A definite must do is to swim with the Stingrays. The greatest experience ever to be out in the middle of the ocean and be able to stand up on the sand bar and all the friendly stingrays around you and holding them. It's simply amazing! We have done it twice now. :D

I have 2 reviews listed in my signature line with tons of pictures if you are interested in checking them out (1 of the reviews was booked with a company and then we were put on with another company).