Terminology

Lunarias

I have been wandering the boards for about a week and have a question...

I see people referring to their cabin mates/traveling companions as DH, DD, DS.... I have figured out DH refers to their husband, DD their daughter and DS their son, my question is what does the "D" stand for? I know it probably isn't important but its driving me crazy that I cant figure it out. Help please :p

I have been wandering the boards for about a week and have a question...

I see people referring to their cabin mates/traveling companions as DH, DD, DS.... I have figured out DH refers to their husband, DD their daughter and DS their son, my question is what does the "D" stand for? I know it probably isn't important but its driving me crazy that I cant figure it out. Help please :p

The other poster said "darling", but Ive always used it as "dear". I supposed its just semantics tho... ;)

Darling, Dear, Dumb, Damn, Dreaded, Deplorable, Desperate, Daft, Dreary, Delightful, Domineering, Despicable, Doting, Dopey, Drunk, Dastardly, Dangerous, Delirious....you name it, I guess they can all apply depending on who is doing the posting.

For that reason I choose not to use any of them.....:D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There was a time -- and I am old enough to remember it -- that even text was expensive to send on the intertubes. This was the time of BBSs and dialup modem. Being short was valued then but now I find it cute as long as it does not impair understanding. After all, modern communication still has to communicate.

I guess I have been around enough that I know the abbreviation like DH and such but wonder why they persist. By all means ask if you can not guess from context and I will go back to lurking on this topic.

There was a time -- and I am old enough to remember it -- that even text was expensive to send on the intertubes. This was the time of BBSs and dialup modem. Being short was valued then but now I find it cute as long as it does not impair understanding. After all, modern communication still has to communicate.

I guess I have been around enough that I know the abbreviation like DH and such but wonder why they persist. By all means ask if you can not guess from context and I will go back to lurking on this topic.

Its not a matter of cost, but time. Which takes less time and effort to type- my husband or DH? My daughter or DD? Not a big deal on a full sized keyboard, I admit. But when you're typing on these teeny keyboards on a phone or tablet (like I am right now) any shortcut is welcome!

Its not a matter of cost, but time. Which takes less time and effort to type- my husband or DH? My daughter or DD? Not a big deal on a full sized keyboard, I admit. But when you're typing on these teeny keyboards on a phone or tablet (like I am right now) any shortcut is welcome!

But with text suggestion and common wording memory features built in to most smartphones now a selection of possible words to use come up with the first few keystrokes of the word you are typing, which now makes "husband" or "daughter" about as easy and certainly clearer in text than "DH" or "DD".

Just me I guess but I hate abbreviated, phonetic, and short word text when typing a communication on smartphones and other devices.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

But with text suggestion and common wording memory features built in to most smartphones now a selection of possible words to use come up with the first few keystrokes of the word you are typing, which now makes "husband" or "daughter" about as easy and certainly clearer in text than "DH" or "DD".

Just me I guess but I hate abbreviated, phonetic, and short word text when typing a communication on smartphones and other devices.

I have declared you the winner of the Internet.

Darling, Dear, Dumb, Damn, Dreaded, Deplorable, Desperate, Daft, Dreary, Delightful, Domineering, Despicable, Doting, Dopey, Drunk, Dastardly, Dangerous, Delirious....you name it, I guess they can all apply depending on who is doing the posting.

For that reason I choose not to use any of them.....:D

Did we say "deranged, dauntless, dimwitted yet. Sorry I have a sophomore in high school. Lol :p