Partial Canal Transit Day

Sea saw 56

Trying to plan our day. An old thread suggested we would be through the initial transit of the locks and in Gatun Lake by 9 or 10 am. Once we are through the locks we are staying on the ship. What is interesting to see while there? How long are we in the Lake before we start to head back out, and are there better times to plan breaks (meals, etc.) than others? Don't want to miss any of the good stuff.

Once through the Gatun Locks, the ship will move to a location to tender pax ashore for excursions. There is no predictable time for the return through the locks...it all depends on arrangements with the Canal. But they typically make their docking time at Colon on time or early.

As I mentioned, the ship sails to a point where the pax are tendered ashore. It can be called "scenic cruising", but it is really sailing with a purpose. ..to get to where they will tender pax ashore. There isn't really a place for leisurely cruising. The lake is crowded with moving and anchored vessels. The ship docks at Colon to pick up the excursion pax. It doesn't pick them up on the lake.

If you read here, there are many discussions of the various sites and excursions to see. After that, it depends on what interests you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Do consider taking an excursion offer! Sitting around in Gutun Lake is very boring!

Hi Lulu, all,

I was looking at 2 of the Princess excursions I noted in the thread below. We're more interested in nature/animals than seeing the rest of the canal this trip. Do you have any suggestions?

But I also see some great excursions to see animals and nature on a land/canal tour with private operators while docked in Limon for 11 hrs. Should we look at this excursion in Limon and just see more of the canal itself from Gatun Lake? Or take one of these excursions from Gatun Lake and a private tour from Limon?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2364702

Edited by blue_water

Blue Water ....

You might possibly want to reconsider not seeing the rest of the canal by boat.

PC1-615 "Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat" is a good one that takes you all the way to the Pacific Ocean.

It's very interesting to do this on a small vessel.

In Limon you there are quite a few independent operators (which you tend to prefer to use) so you'll have no problems finding something to suit you there. :)

LuLu

WE, too, enjoy just staying on the ship...no excursions needed on a partial transit! About 60% of the passengers will get off, leaving the ship less crowded! Beware, it's HOT, tho! So having access to the AC is a god-send!

While going thru the locks in the morning, there will be a navigator onboard telling you all about the canal, operations, etc. You will get into the Lake and departing passengers leave...and then you'll stay for the better part of the afternoon. When you leave the lake, you'll go BACK thru the same locks..and this time, you'll have a much better view, as many of the passengers are off the ship...so what you didn't see the 1st time, you will now! Roam about the ship, for views from different deck levels!

You'll stop at the pier and you can get off for souvenir shopping......and that's when the excursions return.

Edited by cb at sea

I looked at the PC1-615 when we had looked at this cruise a couple years ago and it looks great. Many recommendations for this one. I see it's listed as a 6 hr excursion and can go longer depending on the canal schedules, etc. So with the 1 hr+ bus ride each way and the tender do you get almost 3 hrs on the boat?

Thanks!

I looked at the PC1-615 when we had looked at this cruise a couple years ago and it looks great. Many recommendations for this one. I see it's listed as a 6 hr excursion and can go longer depending on the canal schedules, etc. So with the 1 hr+ bus ride each way and the tender do you get almost 3 hrs on the boat?

Thanks!

The 6 hour guesstimate is really the most optimistic time guess for that tour. Time on the "ferry" is normally 4 to 4.5 hours.

I think the 6 hrs was for the entire excursion...?

It is possible for that excursion to run 6 hours total, but just every single detail has to work like a precision watch. Most of the time it will run around 7 when all goes well. Allowing 3 hours total for the bus ride to and from and 4 hours on the ferry.

It is possible for that excursion to run 6 hours total, but just every single detail has to work like a precision watch. Most of the time it will run around 7 when all goes well. Allowing 3 hours total for the bus ride to and from and 4 hours on the ferry.

That was what I've read, you may be gone for 8 hrs depending, but you sill be on the boat portion for 3 hrs +. I'm sure they must have restrooms on this ferry

• 4 weeks later...

We enjoyed spending the day onboard at Gatun Lake when we were on our Partial Transit cruise. We went back and forth to different vantage points to see how the "mules" did their job, how the locks fill up, etc. From time to time, we went back inside to cool off and eat, since it was very warm and humid.

The photographers went ashore and took pictures of the ship and passengers that waved to them from the balconies and decks. Later, we bought a DVD produced and sold onboard. When we got home and watched it, we discovered, much to our surprise, that pictures of us were included on the DVD.

My wife took tons of pictures and features them on her website. We feel is was a fascinating experience and well worthwhile to stay onboard.

Thanks JimAOK. I'm pretty sure now that we will stay on board. If there are lots of ships/boats in the Lake, we'll enjoy viewing them. It will be convenient to have the option of air conditioning/food/view/drinks. From all I read it will be an extremely warm day.

We've stayed on the ship both times we were on a partial transit. We really enjoy seeing the enormous cargo/container ships come through the locks, as well as the many other ships of all kinds that come and go all day. No regrets about not doing excursions.

We will most definitely get off the ship while she's in the canal. Just so much more to experience that day than seeing more ships. If you prefer the comforts of the ship and the AC then staying on is probably a good choice. We're there to experience more than just watching other ships from the deck as the ship returns through the same locks. So we will take advantage of one of the excursions that offer views from a small boat as well as sights of the jungle. :)

I can only judge from my one experience on the Island Princess in late January. The ship made it through the locks in fairly good time then sort of went around the corner to the left in Gatun Lake to where passengers could easily be tendered to the Gatun Yacht Club. Fairly soon after the tour groups were off, which did take quite awhile, the ship went back through the locks and back out to sea where we spent a bit of time before re-entering the breakwater and heading to Colon. It was almost dark when we arrived so not time to do much there. This may have been due to the fact that there were 2 ships docked in Colon that day and we had to wait for a spot. We were not at Colon 2000 but at the port location used as a port of embarkation so a walk required to get to the usual Colon port location where there are shops and restaurants. The ship did not leave until quite late since the folks taking the ferry through the rest of the canal had a rather difficult day--this excursion ended up taking 12 hours in some cases:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310878&highlight=island+princess+panama+canal

Fortunately things usually go much more smoothly and perhaps lessons were learned from this experience?

There are some great wildlife viewing possibilities at the Limon, Costa Rica stop.

Staying aboard is far from boring. As others have said, watching the variety of commercial shipping that uses the canal can be fascinating. Being able to do so from air conditioned, bug free locations is a real plus.

I was up very early to insure a spot at the bow during the sail in and lock traversal. The true meaning of Panamax was not apparent observing from the bow. Looking over the side from a balcony on the way back brought it home.

• 2 weeks later...
WE, too, enjoy just staying on the ship...no excursions needed on a partial transit! About 60% of the passengers will get off, leaving the ship less crowded! Beware, it's HOT, tho! So having access to the AC is a god-send!

While going thru the locks in the morning, there will be a navigator onboard telling you all about the canal, operations, etc. You will get into the Lake and departing passengers leave...and then you'll stay for the better part of the afternoon. When you leave the lake, you'll go BACK thru the same locks..and this time, you'll have a much better view, as many of the passengers are off the ship...so what you didn't see the 1st time, you will now! Roam about the ship, for views from different deck levels!

You'll stop at the pier and you can get off for souvenir shopping......and that's when the excursions return.

Not being a early riser I'm leaning toward staying on the ship. It looks like we will be back in Colon from approx. 5pm-8pm is the shopping at the pier or somewhere close?

Not being a early riser I'm leaning toward staying on the ship. It looks like we will be back in Colon from approx. 5pm-8pm is the shopping at the pier or somewhere close?
Yes, from what I remember it is only a short walk to the shopping area which we found to be nice.You can see the ship from there. The prices are reasonable. Edited by JimAOk1945

Lorey, I am assuming you are on the Pearl for your partial transit. If that is the case and the calendar I looked at is correct, you will be the only ship in Colon that day. All that means is you should be docked right where that small blue boat is tied up. There is a walkway above the street that connects to the mall.

30vk8qr.jpg

Lorey, I am assuming you are on the Pearl for your partial transit. If that is the case and the calendar I looked at is correct, you will be the only ship in Colon that day. All that means is you should be docked right where that small blue boat is tied up. There is a walkway above the street that connects to the mall.

30vk8qr.jpg

Yes we will be on the Pearl thanks for the photo we'll most likely be checking out the mall.

• 1 month later...

My wife took tons of pictures and features them on her website. We feel is was a fascinating experience and well worthwhile to stay onboard.

Doing the Panama Canal and started my research.

Your wife's web sit is phenomenal, just spent a couple of hours on it.:)