Conflict Island

P & O Pacific Jewel 26th August

I just booked this today, mainly due to the stop at The Conflict Islands, looks like a divers & snorkelers paradise.

The Conflict Islands...... http://www.conflictislands.com/the-islands/

Located in the pristine waters of The Coral Sea, the Conflict Islands comprise of 21 untouched islands and boast the most extensive biodiversity and coral reefs in the world.

With a third of the world’s species of marine fish, the Conflict Islands are home to everything from the tiny ghost pipe fish to the huge manta rays and killer whales. The 21 uninhabited tropical islands surround a spectacular lagoon and are currently under consideration for a World Heritage Marine Site. Among the group of islands, Irai island has been found to have the second best coral in the world with the most number of species noted in a single dive – a divers absolute dream!

The main islands, Panasesa is open to travellers for private hire and features a resort Club House, six beachfront bungalows and runway capable of landing short-haul flights. Activities on offer include sport fishing, diving, kayaking, sailing, boating and nature encounters. 80 miles due East of Papua New Guinea, the Conflict Islands are as little as four hours from Sydney and accessible by private charter from Port Moresby or boat transfers from the Milne Bay capital, Alotau.

Edited by lagoon380

We are going there on our second PNG cruise in February next year.

Our first one went to Doini, Kitava and Kiriwini Islands which were all absolutely stunning, the locals made us so welcome. We were there in November and the water temperature was nice with excellent snorkelling the coral was in pristine condition.

We also went to Rabaul and Alotau which were such a contrast but each with a fascinating history. I don't normally do ships tours but do recommend it in Rabaul. The volcano is so fascinating and erupted for us as we were leaving the harbour.

This time in Alotau we are going to go to the Driftwood resort, they will pick you up from the cruise ship but the town itself is well worth a visit.

Our next one has these ports as well as Madang and Wewak as well as the Conflict Islands, my husband mentioned that the Pacific Jewel was there yesterday.

If you get a chance do a little research before you go. My father in law had served at Milne Bay and we had an historian on board who gave us a wonderful overview about the war and the history of the area.

Thanks Peter.kath

We will be on the Pacific Eden in October ports being Alotoa, Kitiva, Kiriwina Is, and conflict islands.

I am expecting the ports to be similar to those of the south pacific,

Am I right in thinking that way? Also can we see and do anything just from getting off the ship or do we need to get transport into the main area or take a ships tour?

We aren't heavily into history, just like to wander along the beaches, snorkel, and get a feel for the place and mix with the locals.

When we go to the pacific islands we always take a lot of supplies for the schools in each port, books, pencils, erasers, sharpeners etc etc Do you think it would be appropriate to take the same to the ports we will be visiting?

Thanks heaps

Thanks Peter.kath

We will be on the Pacific Eden in October ports being Alotoa, Kitiva, Kiriwina Is, and conflict islands.

I am expecting the ports to be similar to those of the south pacific,

Am I right in thinking that way? Also can we see and do anything just from getting off the ship or do we need to get transport into the main area or take a ships tour?

I think that you'll find that most of the PNG ports are even less developed than most of the South Pacific ports you may have visited.

One thing to remember in PNG is that everything you see is owned by someone. Every bit of land, every coconut, every bit of beach. So make sure that you don't accidentally trespass where not wanted or pick up some little souvenir that you shouldn't have. If you do, be prepared to make amends with a few Kina and don't argue about it.

Other than that the people are generally very friendly, but don't wander off alone.

Thank you Sinbad

My favourite islands in the sth pacific are Mare and Champagne Bay and Mystery Island, as apposed to visiting Noumea, Villa etc. so sounds like I have chosen a cruise that will suit us. Only picked it as we need are overdue for a holiday together and neither my friend nor I have been to any of the ports whereas we each have done sth pacific many many times.

I will let you know Mic what we think of it all, I owe you some info as you have been very generous to me in regard to info many times.

Thank you Sinbad

My favourite islands in the sth pacific are Mare and Champagne Bay and Mystery Island, as apposed to visiting Noumea, Villa etc. so sounds like I have chosen a cruise that will suit us. Only picked it as we need are overdue for a holiday together and neither my friend nor I have been to any of the ports whereas we each have done sth pacific many many times.

I will let you know Mic what we think of it all, I owe you some info as you have been very generous to me in regard to info many times.

Thanks, I look forward to it. :D

Thanks also to Sinbad, it is important to know that there are differing rules, laws customs and culture in a lot of these places and one island in the south pacific can be vastly different to another.

Tara Jane,

I think you will really enjoy this cruise and yes I agree the ports and islands are less touristy then the South Pacific Islands but definately as stunning as Champagne Bay with less sarongs.

Alotau is a township a twenty minute walk along a flat path from the ship.

You do pass by the War Memorial on the way and there was a Cultural Canoe Festival in town. We changed our money in town and had to go through a fair bit of security to get into the bank. We also found this in the half a dozen local shops we went in and there were armed guards at the end of each aisle. We didn't feel unsafe but not a place to be to flashy (leave your gold jewellery on the ship).

It was very hot so we went to the Alotau International Hotel for a beer and a swim. Next time we hope to go to another resort for a look.

Kitava was a nice little island you could catch a canoe ride to the neighbouring island and just some nice snorkelling and swimming.

Kiriwini was a bit different. There was a massive cricket match set up and was a great deal of fun. My husband had a massive lobster for about $10.

Both these islands had hand carved wooden bowls etc for sale but I felt the prices were very expensive.

I am sure the locals would appreciate any donations I remember on our trip a lady had collected over 100 pairs of glasses.

Out of interest how much money would you need for the islands, Alotau and Rabul. Not knowing their pricing I have no idea what to exchange. Thinking you would purchase maybe a couple of drinks and some souvenirs but you wouldn't need much more. Would the equivalent of $50 AUD in kina per port be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We probably spent less at ports on this cruise then what we have on any other.

We changed $300 which gave us 650 Kina.

From memory we spent 10k for beers at resorts.

2k at supermarkets for water and soft drinks.

At Alotau the Chinese type shops have some interesting stuff.

My husband bought some Newcastle Knights Shirts for 20k (they haven't won a game since) and some cool caps for family for 5k. My daughter also found a nice skirt and t shirts for 10k. Twisties and chips were 6 for 5k.

The islands had grilled fish 5k and lobsters various prices.

Some local tours to schools and villages 10k.

I thought the wooden bowls, carvings such as walking sticks and animals were over priced at 200k and more.

At Doini Island they did take Aussie dollars and it was $40 for a 2 hour fishing trip with the locals and also a tour to the skull caves for $20.

Beers and sausage sandwiches were $5.

We do still have some kinas left for our next visit.

They have a voucher system on the conflict islands, no need for local currency, vouchers available from the ship or on shore.

More info is available from their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/conflictislands/

Also interesting that the islands are privately owned by an Australian.

Edited by lagoon380

They have a voucher system on the conflict islands, no need for local currency, vouchers available from the ship or on shore.

More info is available from their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/conflictislands/

Also interesting that the islands are privately owned by an Australian.

Thanks for the info and the link.:D

• 1 year later...

Great news - Conflict Islands has now installed a floating pontoon jetty on the western side which makes it much more accessible. We were there last week and our stop on Pacific Eden would have been cancelled were it not for the new jetty as the wind was south east and blowing directly into the original jetty. It is a 320 metre floating pontoon so fun to walk on as it bobs up and down in the waves, but not great for any mobility impaired. Even saw a large turtle whilst walking along the jetty which floats over top of the coral reef. This should make future stops at Conflict Islands much more reliable. The ship stayed in position all day using the bow and stern thrusters (too deep to anchor) and just a short tender ride into the jetty in the relative calm on the leeward side of the island. Pic attached

conflictsmall.jpg.c63ccb6b6aeeb6e17ec37852759490a0.jpg

The Conflict Island stop is at the Panasea Resort, we were there last week too. I have just submitted a review for Pacific Eden which may be able to be viewed in a few days. Conflict was the best stop, lots to do, lots of water sports or just swim and snorkel. My friends did the glass bottom boat excursion and raved about it.

• 4 months later...
We are going there on our second PNG cruise in February next year.

Our first one went to Doini, Kitava and Kiriwini Islands which were all absolutely stunning, the locals made us so welcome. We were there in November and the water temperature was nice with excellent snorkelling the coral was in pristine condition.

We also went to Rabaul and Alotau which were such a contrast but each with a fascinating history. I don't normally do ships tours but do recommend it in Rabaul. The volcano is so fascinating and erupted for us as we were leaving the harbour.

This time in Alotau we are going to go to the Driftwood resort, they will pick you up from the cruise ship but the town itself is well worth a visit.

Our next one has these ports as well as Madang and Wewak as well as the Conflict Islands, my husband mentioned that the Pacific Jewel was there yesterday.

If you get a chance do a little research before you go. My father in law had served at Milne Bay and we had an historian on board who gave us a wonderful overview about the war and the history of the area.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hi,how did you find the Driftwood resort ?

Going next Feb

Thanks in advance

It was really good. There was a stand just as you left the wharf area on the left next to shipping container. They offered free transport and even stopped at the bank so I could grab some Kina. We had swim and an excellent lunch. Lobster $25 Mud Crab $20 and Fish and Chips $10 and a couple of SP beers, they then dropped us off in town which was a short walk back to the ship.

Others on our ship had prebooked a fishing trip with them, When we go again I will precook a snorkelling tour.

Enjoy your cruise.