Wine/beer choices?

snowmc

We are considering sailing to Alaska this summer. Does anyone have a copy of the wine and beer list available onboard? We have never sailed on Seabourn. Just curious if they offer lower quality beverages in order to get passengers to buy an upgraded package like other lines do.

Overall I'd say the quality of the included beverages is good. I'm not sure what other cruise lines you'd compare to, but certainly in my experience the quality matches Silversea's included beverages.

Someone will probably be along soon who can post a recent included wines list. Despite the marketing claims, they're not fine wines, but invariably you can find something drinkable amongst them. As far as I know there isn't a list of beers, at least I've never seen one.

Seabourn doesn't offer an 'upgrade package' for most alcoholic beverages although you can choose fine wines from the premium (payable) wine list. . You can also buy a package of pre-selected wines ahead of your cruise or you can have a chat with the Head Sommelier and make up your own package of several bottles of wine from the premium list if you like. They offer a discount on this if you ask them nicely ;)

For beer, if it's something fairly unusual you can request it for your in-suite mini bar ahead of your cruise, just be sure to give plenty of notice. The suite stewardess will keep your mini bar replenished for the duration. There's usually a good choice onboard anyway.

You didn't mention spirits but Seabourn doesn't skimp here. Included vodka choices on my last SB cruise were such as Grey Goose, Ketel One, Belvedere as well as Absolut, Smirnoff etc. I don't drink other spirits so my fellow posters can add more here.

It's probably easiest if you tell us what brands you like and we can then let you know if SB usually has them onboard.

There's an included wine list here on this post from a year ago. Please note that the wines are subject to change, although some of these have been offered for the last 4 or 5 years or so on each SB cruise I've taken. Also they often have additional odd bottles that aren't on the list.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49830351&postcount=1

Thank you everyone. This has been very helpful. We usually sail with Celebrity and get their premium beverage package. We do like spirits, so it is helpful to see that SB includes premium brands. For wines, we drink Sav. Blancs from New Zealand and enjoy various red wines. Nice to see the wines included are not the "grocery store" variety that many lines offer. For beers, husband likes craft style beers from around the world. I'm sure SB offers a good selection.

They do upcharge for wines like Silver Oak Cabernet or Veuve Cliquot champagne. However, Their house cabs and champagnes are very drinkable.

As for beer, I don't recall a lot of craft beers on the menu, but they had all the standards at no charge like Bud Light, Stella Artois, Heineken, Guinness. They really aim to please. I wanted Miller Lite for my room fridge and they did not have it. However, they went to town in the first port and bought me a 12 pack of miller Lite!

They do upcharge for wines like Silver Oak Cabernet or Veuve Cliquot champagne. However, Their house cabs and champagnes are very drinkable.

As for beer, I don't recall a lot of craft beers on the menu, but they had all the standards at no charge like Bud Light, Stella Artois, Heineken, Guinness. They really aim to please. I wanted Miller Lite for my room fridge and they did not have it. However, they went to town in the first port and bought me a 12 pack of miller Lite!

That's what I call customer service! I would expect an uncharge for wines like Silver Oak and Veuve....definitely top shelf products. Nice to know they will do what is possible to keep the passenger happy.

The beer varieties available usually depend on where the ship has been cruising.

Sojourn will have been in Asia, so there will probably be some Asian and Japanese beer available as well as the usual US and European.

Last cruise we were on, the Quest had just circumnavigated the U.K. There was an amazing variety of beer and stouts available.

I found different bars had a different selection, just ask the barman.

We are considering sailing to Alaska this summer. Does anyone have a copy of the wine and beer list available onboard? We have never sailed on Seabourn. Just curious if they offer lower quality beverages in order to get passengers to buy an upgraded package like other lines do.

Depends on your personal preference. The basics are good, unless you have favorites in which case you may (as we do) purchase premium wines for some lunches and dinners, but not necessary unless you are finicky as are we.

Just off Quest's transatlantic.

Each day and evening they feature a red and a white wine, I would guess in the $12-15 range in the stores in the US. Pinot grigios, chardonnays, blends, cabs, merlots, all made their appearance. If you prefer, they have 2-3 others available also. They generally were pretty good, except one Tempranillo I didn't like.

I only ordered off the premium list twice, in the Grill, because I had onboard cash to use up. There I had a nice Brunello, a likely 25-28 in the US, for which the tab was $99. And a nice Pouilly Fume which ran $89. Their list went from about $40 on up to the $500 range. Overpriced, yes, but basically free for me, as I have enough ship's shirts.

Ship's choices were by and large quite good. And the benefit is you can have as much or as little as you wish.

There's an included wine list here on this post from a year ago. Please note that the wines are subject to change, although some of these have been offered for the last 4 or 5 years or so on each SB cruise I've taken. Also they often have additional odd bottles that aren't on the list.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49830351&postcount=1

Do you know if they offer a Pinot Grigio. Going on our first Seabourn cruise with a friend who only drinks this wine. Didn't see it on the list.

Do you know if they offer a Pinot Grigio. Going on our first Seabourn cruise with a friend who only drinks this wine. Didn't see it on the list.

They usually do. But just in case, your friend may want to email SB guest services in advance to special request it.

I'll be amazed if they don't. There seems no escape from this wine, its everywhere!

On that list posted above I recognized about half from our just completed transatlantic. Seems to me the choice on ours was wider.

I assure you, there was pinot grigio available every day and in every bar. The gentleman will not suffer.

I'm sorry, I've only just seen this post. Concur with the others, there is always at least one Pinot Grigio onboard. Usually the Santa Margherita mentioned previously. Depending which area of the world your cruise is in there will likely be others too.

As I said when I linked to that specimen wine list, there are always more bottles to choose from than show up on that list, it was posted just as an example.

Agree. I'm sure there is more on offer. Anyone with more recent info on this topic for us winos?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which wines are available can differ from ship to ship and from week to week. When is your cruise and on which ship?