Alaska Cruise - Getting to Vancouver

Curious as to best route to get to Vancouver. We live in South Florida. Cruising June 16th on Radiance. We can fly either Wed the 14 or Thurs the 15th.

My main issue is connections. If I connect somewhere in US then to Vancouver, we get in late at night between 11pm and midnight. At the point what hotels, if any, have shuttles to downtown Vancouver hotels or is taxi/uber way to go?

If I connect in Toronto, Montreal, etc via Air Canada, will my bags make it on a connecting flight that is 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs? Not sure how customs is on international connections.

Any advice would be helpful.

Also, only passport is needed for Canadian entry/Alaska cruise correct?

Downtown Vancouver is about 20-30 minutes away from the airport so the downtown hotels in my experience don't do airport shuttles. There's the Skytrain, which is super east and goes from the airport to downtown. Otherwise you are looking at cab.

You don't say what airport you are flying out of but I've taken 8am-ish direct flights on Alaska Air out of a couple different Florida airports into Seattle and there are tons of flights from SEA up to YVR each day. Might be worth checking to see if you can get in earlier in the day.

There are quite a few hotels in Richmond near YVR that have a shuttle. You can just google Vancouver airport hotels and you will have your choice from moderate to Hilton/Marriott types. That's where I would head if arriving on the 15th. You can take the shuttle back to the airport and either take the Skytrain or a taxi or shuttle.

But I love Vancouver and would gladly arrive on the 12th or earlier!!!!!!!!

I have generally found that taking the Skytrain into downtown from the airport is the most cost effective and quickest way to get downtown. Of course it helps if you get a hotel near a Skytrain station so the journey is relatively point to point... If not then cab is the best way to go. Also considering if you get in late at night the cab might be more expensive but it will probably be more comfortable.

I think Vancouver has just recently legalized Uber but I'm not sure if the service has started up yet there or not.

I grew up here in Vancouver and have the same issues travelling to FL to cruise!

Taking a taxi (no uber in Vancouver) is easiest at that time of night.

If you stay in the YVR - Airport (Richmond) area you can get many free airports shuttles - designated by the individual hotel that run every 1/2 hour or so. The same hotel might have a free shuttle to Cruise Dock as well.

I would suggest, if time allows to come as early as possible and stay in the Downtown or West End/ Coal Harbour area of Vancouver. There, you will have access to the amazing attributes of the city and its quick and easy to get to Cruise Dock at Canada Place when you are ready to leave.

I am happy to weigh in on individual hotel options as I have stayed in pretty much all of them!

Your luggage will be checked through to your end destination. YVR. You don't have to think of it again. No matter how many place changes, if it's on your itinerary it will follow you (in a perfect world ;)

I booked our last trip to FL on points and there were 3x 2.5 hr flights!

A passport is required for air travel from US to Canada

I don't think you need it to access the ship, but you will have it anyway so it's all good.

I grew up here in Vancouver and have the same issues travelling to FL to cruise!

If you stay in the YVR - Airport (Richmond) area you can get many free airports shuttles - designated by the individual hotel that run every 1/2 hour or so. The same hotel might have a free shuttle to Cruise Dock as well.

I would suggest, if time allows to come as early as possible and stay in the Downtown or West End/ Coal Harbour area of Vancouver. There, you will have access to the amazing attributes of the city and its quick and easy to get to Cruise Dock at Canada Place when you are ready to leave.

I am happy to weigh in on individual hotel options as I have stayed in pretty much all of them!

Your luggage will be checked through to your end destination. YVR. You don't have to think of it again. No matter how many place changes, if it's on your itinerary it will follow you (in a perfect world ;)

I don't think you need it to access the ship, but you will have it anyway so it's all good.

I would love to get an idea of where to go, stay, eat, etc in vancouver! I want to fly in on wed night so we have all day thurs and the morning on friday to explore what i heard is a beautiful city. Think its better to stay at a hotel near airport first night then downtown thurs night?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they fly into Toronto with a connecting flight they will have to pick up their luggage, drag it through Canadian customs and then put it on another luggage belt before their connecting flight to Vancouver. They would then have to clear through airport security after that prior to boarding their next flight leg. Only if they fly wth a connection in the US will the OP not see their luggage until they arrive in Vancouver. In that case they clear a Canadian Customs in Vancouver.

If you have a US passport all you will need is your passport. If you are not born in the US, and have a passport from your home country, Canada has started a program last fall that now has some extra on-line paper work (eTA) that needs to be done before you enter Canada. We are all assuming that since for are flying from Florida that you have an American Passport. If you do not there is a really good chance you need an eTA and this is needed in advance otherwise you will not be allowed to fly into Canada.

More info can be found here. https://travel.gc.ca/returning/travelling-to-canada?_ga=1.206926611.1676853013.1492078715

This page will tell you if you need an eTA form (the extra paperwork) or not. It will also tell you if you neeed a Visa or not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp?_ga=1.167678782.1676853013.1492078715

Vancouver and Alaska are beautiful. For our honeymoon we did an Alaska cruise (our first one) and then stayed a week in Vancouver at the Westin Bayshore. The Vancouver waterfront is amazing. Enjoy your upcoming holidays.

Yea i figured id have something crazy to do if i connected in a canadian city instead of us. And yes just kind of making sure all i need is a passport. Currently have flight mia to van via dallas for 350 total for 2 of us.

Just really deciding if we should stay at a hotel near airport or not til cruise

Yea i figured id have something crazy to do if i connected in a canadian city instead of us. And yes just kind of making sure all i need is a passport. Currently have flight mia to van via dallas for 350 total for 2 of us.

Just really deciding if we should stay at a hotel near airport or not til cruise

It isn't crazy, but it isn't as easy as flying through the US. Your flight price is great. As for the passport I just didn't want to see you get caught in the new requirements if you didn't have a US passport. It's just something we all assume (you being in Florida to have US passport) but recently a British Couple were denied boarding their flight to Canada to see their terminally sick mother because they didn't have this new eTA application.

The downtown and water front is beautiful. If you fly in the day before and early it is well worth it. If you fly in late day or early evening it might not be worth it. It also might depend on what pier you sail out of, in relation to where you stay. One pier is downtown and the other is in an industrial area with no hotels and a bit of a dodgy side of town.

That flight i have now on hold gets us in at midnight which is why im thinking that night stay by airport, then taxi to a hotel downtown and explore vancouver. Heard stanley park is nice?

It's beautiful in Stanley Park. There are spots you can rent bikes outside of the park and ride throughout it.

There is a Fairmont hotel in the airport which would be really convenient at midnight, which is 3 am in Florida.

I think you have a good plan. Wake up when you do and head "downtown". You could drop your luggage if your room isn't ready there and then see some sights.

We flew from Chicago through Toronto to Vancouver last August, had about 1 1/2 hours for the connection and it was very stressful, we made it but only because our connecting flight was delayed. I would do the US flight and take a taxi to your hotel.

We also had an extra day in Vancouver and loved it!

I live in Vancouver. If you are getting in that late at night, it will take about 15-20 minutes to get downtown to your hotel. The skytrain stops at like 1am and I would not recommend with all your luggage etc after a day of traveling. Depending where your hotel is you may have to lug your luggage late at night. Take a cab. It will be quick and easy. Some hotels do have shuttles. Some hotels you just call at the courtesy phones at the airport and they send a shuttle. There is nice hotel close to the airport that does have a shuttle, it is not downtown though but is reasonable priced. Coast Hotel (airport location) it is a quick cab ride the next day to the cruise terminal. Uber is not up and running in Vancouver yet. Another decent hotel downtown that is reasonable if you want to stay downtown and it not cost and arm and a leg is the Moda Hotel. We often put clients up there. They have kitchenettes and free breakfast. A quick cab ride to the cruise terminal. Vancouver is very cab friendly and lots of cabs. If you want to splurge a bit, stay at the Pan Pacific hotel. It is AMAZING! And so worth the extra money to stay there. It is right at the cruise ship terminal and you may be able to get a special rate.

On my Alaskan cruise last year we ended in Vancouver and stayed at L'Hermitage hotel it was very close to the port and only cost $30.00 Canadianto the airport. We also did the hop on hop off bus the stop is just around the corner from the hotel. They also serve a complimentary breakfast that was great. this is the address to the hotel. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d1108305-Reviews-L_Hermitage_Hotel-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html

We all LOVED Vancouver- especially the 4 teens. We stayed at the PanPacific. Easy walking distance to shop/food/bars. We actually walked to the terminal. Also went Wed for Friday cruise. Connected via SEA, with the quick hop to Vancouver. Stanley Park close by and there is a stop for the Hop-on-hop-off bus right out front. I know we had arranged transport to hotel (group of 13), and remember it being under 30 minutes from airport. But I might have just not notice the time passing as it was still daylight and I was taking the city in as it went by. ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Curious as to best route to get to Vancouver. We live in South Florida. Cruising June 16th on Radiance. We can fly either Wed the 14 or Thurs the 15th.

My main issue is connections. If I connect somewhere in US then to Vancouver, we get in late at night between 11pm and midnight. At the point what hotels, if any, have shuttles to downtown Vancouver hotels or is taxi/uber way to go?

If I connect in Toronto, Montreal, etc via Air Canada, will my bags make it on a connecting flight that is 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs? Not sure how customs is on international connections.

Any advice would be helpful.

Also, only passport is needed for Canadian entry/Alaska cruise correct?

We are taking the Radiance on May 17, 2017.

Flying in to Vancouver on May 16...

Traveling from Charleston, SC...

Depart Charleston at 6:30am to Chicago, Arriving at 7:55

1Hr 35Min Delay in O'Hare

Depart Chicago (O'Hare) at 9:30am

Arrive Vancouver at Noon....

Plenty of time to get to Hotel, etc....

You will need US Passport upon flying into Vancouver and you will again need it when you go through US Customs before boarding the Radiance at Canada Place.

Dennis & Sue

Last June we arrived in Vancouver late at night. Showed are passport only to customs. Only question I remember them asking is why are you here and what are your plans. Mentioned going on a cruise and told them when we leaving and that was it. Took a cab for around 40 dollars to Pan Pacific hotel. Highly highly recommend this hotel. As others have said it is same area that you board the cruise ship. Mentioned at check in that we going on the radiance in 2 days, and they told us to call down before checkout and they would pick up our bags and take them directly to the cruise ship.

If you have the time checkout Grouse Mountain and Capilano suspension bridge. We loved both!!!

We are taking the Radiance on May 17, 2017.

Flying in to Vancouver on May 16...

Traveling from Charleston, SC...

Depart Charleston at 6:30am to Chicago, Arriving at 7:55

1Hr 35Min Delay in O'Hare

Depart Chicago (O'Hare) at 9:30am

Arrive Vancouver at Noon....

Plenty of time to get to Hotel, etc....

You will need US Passport upon flying into Vancouver and you will again need it when you go through US Customs before boarding the Radiance at Canada Place.

Dennis & Sue

Where are you staying in Vancouver? how are you getting from airport to hotel? Hotel to cruise?

That flight i have now on hold gets us in at midnight which is why im thinking that night stay by airport, then taxi to a hotel downtown and explore vancouver. Heard stanley park is nice?

Some great info so far... may I add a few pointers:

The Skytrain from downtown Vancouver to the Airport is different than the other lines in that the cars are built for travelers, they are wider with more room for luggage. Also note the cost is higher as the Vancouver Airpoirt tax is added to the 2 zone fare price. Here is a full review with photos of Vancouver Skytrain from Vancouver airport to downtown.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47847901&highlight=skytrain#post47847901

If you are getting in late at night (ie. midnight) I strongly urge you to stay one night at the Fairmont at the Airport. It's a beautiful hotel with fantastic rooms, you roll your luggage through a breezeway and bam... you're at check-in. So very easy. If you can get to Vancouver before late night (which you should easily be able to do from FLL or MIA with 3 hours time zone change), then I strongly urge you to take taxi (not skytrain) to downtown hotel of choice. You can then wake in the morning and be right in the middle of the city, walk to everything you wish to do. Remember, if you stay at the Fairmont one night, then you cannot check in to the new hotel until 3pm for example... there's also the fact that you "waste" the morning transferring to downtown.

Lastly, It was already mentioned that if it is a gorgeous sunny day, I personally believe a day trip up to Capilano Suspension Bridge and especially up Grouse Mountain is a must! There is a ticket booth and shuttle service for this excursion right outside the cruise pier at Canada place hourly bus heading up there. Less expensive would be beautiful Stanley Park (hop on hop off trolley also available around the city and Stanley Park) and walking around the city. To Eat? Cactus Club or Cardero's on the water have excellent food and great views (both are walking distance from the cruise pier area). Use google images and tripadvisor to quickly look up these areas/restaurants and you will quickly determine whether they are good for you or not.

Have a great cruise! :p

Without a doubt try to make it to the Pan Pacific. We have done two Alaska cruises and stayed at the Fairmont and Pan Pacific. Both are great for leaving on a cruise. However, staying at the Pan Pacific you can take the elevator down to the cruise check in area. Stanley Park is pretty. If you stay by the terminal you will be in the heart of the Gastown area, which has plenty of stuff within short walk. Hidden gem if your interested is the Vancouver Police Museum, pretty cool, and short distance from Gastown.

If it's a clear day, take a float plane ride. They are just a short walk from Gastown.

For us it usually costs at least $200 extra to fly into Vancouver, so we fly into Seattle and drive. But you do have to factor in rental car costs, parking fees and time. One trip we flew in a couple of days early, took the Black Ball ferry over to Victoria and then the BC Ferry through the islands. While we really enjoy Vancouver, this was a great trip!