Passport book vs passport card

versuco

The 4 kids need their passports renewed before our fall cruise. It's much cheaper to get the passport cards. Would like opinions on the difference and if we should go with the passport card. Wouldn't be so bad if child passports lasted 10 years like the adult passport, but renewing them every 5 years is expensive.

I am also considering the passport card. Cheaper in the long run and we aren;t expecting to fly internationally with them in the near future. Also read that if you leave and return from a us port that only birth certificates are required.

The 4 kids need their passports renewed before our fall cruise. It's much cheaper to get the passport cards. Would like opinions on the difference and if we should go with the passport card. Wouldn't be so bad if child passports lasted 10 years like the adult passport, but renewing them every 5 years is expensive.

If your cruise leaves from and return to the same US port then you only need a birth certificate. Something to consider.

6&8

I got the cards along with passports when I renewed. My concern with using them if we must fly home on case of an problem how can we do it with no passport?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

This is one of our concerns too, but I can't see the US not allowing minor children to fly back with their parents if there is an emergency. When you hear about cruise ships that had mechanical issues and ended up flying passengers back home, I am sure not everyone had a passport and were allowed to return to the US.

Thanks, Suzannety. That's what I was hoping to hear. You can return to the US without a passport with little or no issue.

Not necessarily true. Suzannety was lucky and this will vary. Example: You cannot drive back from Canada to the US without a passport or enhanced drivers licence - birth certificate won't suffice. If money isn't a concern it's best to go with Passport. You'll need to weigh the chances of medical emergency that could require flying and make your decision from that.

Edited by nets33

I have the card myself and have never had an issue. I also bring my birth certificate just in case, but the card is sufficient on the boat and in port. It's half the price and fits into my wallet. Honestly, I don't stress about having a book. I know I'm taking a small risk,but until I'm ready to fly internationally or cruise to South America, I feel good with the card.

When I renewed I got both. I drive between Canada and the USA 3-6 times a year so having the card simplifies my trips. I leave my passport book locked up in Canada when I drive between the 2 countries and have never had a problem at the border. My adult niece is taking a cruise with us to Mexico from Calif. this year and she only applied for the card. The chance of her needing to fly from Mexico is low, in her opinion, so she cut costs by just applying for the card.

Passport cards may be used for all sailings within the western hemisphere including open jaw sailings, so it has that advantage over birth certificates. They may also be used for land border crossings. Passport cards also have the advantage of having the traveler's information already validated in the State Department's system. As mentioned they cannot be used for international flight. The State Department has the authority to waive the passport requirement in the event of an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. How long that process would take depends on the circumstances of each case, but it could entail a delay of several days (and if someone has passport cards presumably the process would not take as long).

All that said if you are on a closed loop cruise the kids' birth certificates could be used and since they've had passports their info is also in the State Department system. If they are 16 or older they would also need a government issued photo ID.

I got the cards along with passports when I renewed. My concern with using them if we must fly home on case of an problem how can we do it with no passport?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

In the UK, its the airline that would stop you boarding if you didn't have the right documentation. They may contact the US to see if they would accept you. However if you get turned back, the airline is fined, so they are fairly strict about ensuring you have all the correct documentation.

Regarding birth certificates, will a photo copy suffice? Or does it have to be the original certified birth certificate?

The regulations say that the original or a copy may be used, but most cruise line FAQs say original. CCL is the only cruise line that makes it clear that copies may be used. The original is the best thing to bring and if you only have a copy I would recommend obtaining another one from the state.

Just to clarify, our 13 year old on our upcoming caribbean cruise has a passport card. We will not need the birth certificate, correct? I know it probably would be better to have it anyway, but if I can avoid more hassle and paper (that can be lost), I'd be a happier sailor!

Thanks

Just to clarify, our 13 year old on our upcoming caribbean cruise has a passport card. We will not need the birth certificate, correct? I know it probably would be better to have it anyway, but if I can avoid more hassle and paper (that can be lost), I'd be a happier sailor!

Thanks

That is correct, the passport card is all that he will need (as long as it's not expired).