1st time nerves

Milliemoominmoo

Hi have just booked a 2 week cruise on the P&o Azura end of August. Totally panicked I have done the wrong thing... The reviews on here are dreadful!!:confused: please help, this is a very special holiday for us and I simply. Can't have it spoiled.:eek:

I haven't been on P&O. What I recommend that you go to the P&O forum and post your concerns. See what the people that frequent the P&O forum think.

That said:

1) People are more likely to post when they have a complaint then when they don't have a complaint.

2) Analyze why the people are complaining. Many times it is one thing that they fixate on, or it is not something the cruise line has any control over (I've seen people bash the cruise line because of the weather and because the airline lost their luggage). Or is could be something that you are not concerned with (example, the coffee is bad and you don't drink coffee).

3) There are no guarantees in life. I've received poor service from a company that is very highly rated.

4) Attitude is EVERYTHING. If you go looking for problems, you are bound to find them. If you go expecting to have a good time, and don't let the small issues bother you (you are served room temperature water one evening) then you will most likely have a good time.

5) If your concern is going to ruin your trip, and it is that important to you, then cancel and make new plans. As I said, attitude is everything. I've been on 26 cruises and have enjoyed every single one of them. Now, not everything went as it should every single time, but I still had an enjoyable trip.

You would think so, but all of the people commenting seemed extreamly Rational and practical. We are a late 40s couple who have traveled extensively staying in 4 &5* hotels around the world, we like comfort, class and civil company. We also know how to have fun let our hair down and live life to the max our friends have been encouraging us to go cruise!! ( on the sea, no pun intended) :D I know that if P&O get this wrong, I will never get hubby on a cruise ship again!! 😱

You would think so, but all of the people commenting seemed extreamly Rational and practical. We are a late 40s couple who have traveled extensively staying in 4 &5* hotels around the world, we like comfort, class and civil company. We also know how to have fun let our hair down and live life to the max our friends have been encouraging us to go cruise!! ( on the sea, no pun intended) :D I know that if P&O get this wrong, I will never get hubby on a cruise ship again!! 😱

There are luxury lines. Silversea, Crystal, Regent and Seabourn come to mind.

Finding "the best match" cruise line, like any other multi-faceted thing, may take a few tries to see what fits best. From your very brief description, you sound like Oceania folks. But see how P&O works or doesn't. Then you'll have a better idea of what differences you may seek in the future.

Agree with alot of the comments on here.

It is really easy to get panicked by bad reviews. I almost did the same thing an then started to look alot more objectively at the reviews.

Yes I am a first time cruiser and also booked prior to reading reviews, but I have found good and bad ones and have shrugged it all off and decided, it will be what we make it to be - after all I have nothing to compare it to!

:) Looking forward to what seems to be a great ship and will be doing a review for others.

Am I the only one on here who never reads reviews once I've made my decision and booked?

No. I don't read the reviews before I book either. I know there are going to positive and negative reviews. I've been on enough cruises and enough different lines to know what I want and don't want.

Most of the complaints around here seem to be that the olives in the martinis were not up to standard, or some such. No one here ever says that a cruise vacation is just the best vacay you will ever take - and that's the truth, no matter what line, what itinerary, what time.

You booked your cruise, and you will have a great trip. Stop re-thinking that. It's gonna be just fine.

Strangely enough, we were today we were discussing why we enjoy Azura/Ventura much more than any of the other ships we've tried.

Like many ships in the summer holidays, they can get noisy, but we enjoy the top decks, where there's no music, some shade and people just dozing or reading.

We like the fact that there are umpteen places where you can hide away from the crowds, yet there's also plenty of entertainment/activities when you need them.

We like having the choice of speciality restaurants, yet often visit the buffet for their speciality evenings...the Indian chefs are so skilled on the Indian evenings that I'm afraid there can be a queue then, as the food is extra special.

We like the lack of fuss about tipping- pay up front less than is expected on most other shipping lines, and there's no nasty surprise on your bar bill either....plus the drinks are only pub prices.

Plenty to do-or not; amazing ports to visit; keep yourself to yourself or heartily mix in with all that's happening.

There will be lots of children on board, as nowadays they're not allowed out of school in term time, and so they'll fill every spare bunk and sofa bed....and that can make the ship feel very busy. We've never found this a problem, but it upsets some.

All in sterling, all in English, people from every part of the UK and Ireland....you'll have a great time! :cool:

Yep fully have my positive outlook firmly back in place, especially as I have read that she is due a refit in April and some people have already reported that things are changing for the better.

We have booked a balcony suite so we will always be able to find our own bit of space on deck if we want to::)

So far I have been very impressed by the whole cruise package starting with the lovely lady we booked with, she couldn't have been happier and more helpful, she spent a long time talking through our options with us.

Now I'm looking at ports of call, and excursions, :D

Good- you look forward to something very special, and ignore the reviews....what can be poor about a beautiful 5 yr.old ship, freshly refurbished and full of activities- plus all the great ports (Med, I presume).

Enjoy! :cool:

We're a similar age and were used to 4 and 5 star hotels. We went on our first cruise last year with Celebrity on the Eclipse and had all the same fears. We had a fantastic time. We jumped in at the deep end and booked a two week Med cruise on quite a big ship, we had some fears - particularly after seeing a dreadful ITV series based on Princess Cruises. We went wanting to have a good holiday and steered clear of the moaners. Sailing from Southampton and being able to park next to the ship and take loads of luggage really helped. No more weighing cases!

It seems to us that many people who complain are often comparing it to cruising 20 years ago and grumbling that cruising has changed etc etc. and it isn't as good as it used to be.

We can't wait for our next cruise.

Edited by DYKWIA