Live - at snail's pace- from Sojourn

Nigella

We have only done 40 days or so on 3 SB cruises and 21 days on SS. With 17 coming on SB in Jan in OZ and NZ the least thing I am interested in is who is the hotel director. Hopefully Antonio will be in the restaurant and that is really the only management staff person that we need to interact with. the working staff always seem great to us and we don't feel the need to be stroked by management . What am I missing?

We have only done 40 days or so on 3 SB cruises and 21 days on SS. With 17 coming on SB in Jan in OZ and NZ the least thing I am interested in is who is the hotel director. Hopefully Antonio will be in the restaurant and that is really the only management staff person that we need to interact with. the working staff always seem great to us and we don't feel the need to be stroked by management . What am I missing?

It is not a case of wanting to be 'stroked'. Some of the senior staff can make a huge difference in the running and general happiness of the ship and onboard atmosphere. Here, in particular, it seems that Hotel Managers have the sayso on whether the dining room is open for breakfast and lunch, which has a big impact on the enjoyment for some passengers. For us a helpful maitre'd can make a difference. We have very occasionally felt a less than cheerful atmosphere amongst bar and wait staff, which I feel comes from whoever is in charge of them. And also come across unhelpful Hotel Managers, when something goes wrong in the suite - most are wonderful, but the odd one can be unhelpful.

It is not a case of wanting to be 'stroked'. Some of the senior staff can make a huge difference in the running and general happiness of the ship and onboard atmosphere. Here, in particular, it seems that Hotel Managers have the sayso on whether the dining room is open for breakfast and lunch, which has a big impact on the enjoyment for some passengers. For us a helpful maitre'd can make a difference. We have very occasionally felt a less than cheerful atmosphere amongst bar and wait staff, which I feel comes from whoever is in charge of them. And also come across unhelpful Hotel Managers, when something goes wrong in the suite - most are wonderful, but the odd one can be unhelpful.

This. Vitor (from CC comments) seems to be a scourge. Further another HM I've had seems to bring a negative attitude with him so the staff isn't up to snuff. When the person responsible for everyone on the ship will only talk to a select few that's a problem.

It is not a case of wanting to be 'stroked'. Some of the senior staff can make a huge difference in the running and general happiness of the ship and onboard atmosphere.

Have to agree with this. Recently on the Quest I am sure Handre, Geir-Arne and others had a lot to do with what appeared to be a very happy crew. Didn't see the HM much but he was obviously doing his job.

I think I know what you mean. Perhaps I will think differently after we have completed a few more Seabourn cruises, but who the HM may or May not be on any given trip isn't really a matter of great interest to us, we still manage to have a good time. However, more experienced Cruisers seem to be suggesting that a poor HM impacts on crew oerformance and if so then it would be something that matters.

I think that the real problem lies with the length of cruise. I just find that 7 day cruises are 't the best and I now try to avoid them. I agree that the crew always seem to perform better on longer trips.

we don't feel the need to be stroked by management . What am I missing?

As the OP of this thread I'm assuming the stroking comment is aimed at me.

How amusing.;)

It's nothing to do with being stroked.

For me, it's mostly about senior managers being visible, in what is after all a customer service role.

I don't care if those managers don't acknowledge or 'stroke' me, as you put it. I do care that they're seeing with their own eyes how the operation is running, and not just relying on their subordinates to report back.