Caribbean?

bradtarga34

Not sure if this has been covered before but was looking at a little cruise next year but can't see anything at all in 2016, only 2017, am I missing something?

I noticed that as well, on the website.... Weird...

The Odyssey is in the Carribean for the winter of 2017 with both 7 and 14 day sailings (simililar itineries to what the smaller ships had in past years). You can see this on the website just use filters to search for Caribbean and the sailings will come up.

Cursed for being both analytical AND curious, it got me to looking at the broader picture of Seabourn's scheduling methodology. Have to believe the HAL effect is now in full bloom. The move from Miami to Seattle could be part of it -- the Caribbean is no longer in the backyard, so to speak. The old Legend Miami-Puerto Caldera and return for three winter months is gone, probably never to return. Much more AUS, NZ, Java Sea stuff in those winter months now vice Caribbean.

I had a friend that worked in American Airlines yield management center. They were the pioneers of using data analytics to determine what match of aircraft, city pairs, and day, would yield the highest revenue possible. What fares they could command was a big part of it. For instance, it made no sense to put the biggest planes on US-Hawaii routes because the fares would never be significant. It made more sense to put the bigger a/c on US-Europe where the fares were significantly higher. Same a/c, same operating costs per flight, but more revenue, possibly even with fewer passengers.

Have to wonder if the same data analytics are driving Seabourn scheduling today?

Sounds like over analysis to me. Planning a cruise should be fun. I have no interest in taking all these variables into account. With three ships now SB cannot be everyplace at once. So if the Caribbean is someone's priority there are plenty of cruise lines sailing there.

The Caribbean has always had the most competitive pricing due mainly to over supply. All those ships that ply the Med during the summer have to have somewhere to go in winter and the options for the operators are few.

I'm not surprised to see Seabourn absent from the Caribbean while they only have 3 ships.

Apparently Seabourn did not think so then. What evidence do you have that they are remorseful now? And if they believe that they did the right thing for developing and rejuvenating their brand with a new generation of ships, then you are indeed lucky to cruise on the old girls with another line, aren't you?

Happy sailing!

This time last year, Seabourn had no Caribbean cruises scheduled for Fall 2015. We were looking for an anniversary cruise and had to settle for another line. Then, in the spring of 2015, cruises on the Odyssey showed up and we switched.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple days ago I received a SB brochure via a large TA. It offered 3 round trip Ft. Lauderdale cruises late October 2016 - early December 2016 (on the Odyssey). Now, looking at the website, these cruises don't exist. Anyone else receive this offering in the mail?

I did not receive the offering, however, I am on one of the odyssey Caribbean cruises in late October. One day, there was loads of availability and the next day only ocean view was available.. Is it possible that a group or a larger agency was allocated all of the suites at a discount? Or maybe a private sale? I was very confused as to the sudden lack of available suites.

I did not receive the offering, however, I am on one of the odyssey Caribbean cruises in late October. One day, there was loads of availability and the next day only ocean view was available.. Is it possible that a group or a larger agency was allocated all of the suites at a discount? Or maybe a private sale? I was very confused as to the sudden lack of available suites.

2015 or 2016?

Sorry. I just reread your post. Mine is this year.

I'm on the Odyssey in late October, 2015. The website is changing daily with availability of veranda cabins. Yesterday there were none. Today, just a handful of V1s. Last month only V5s and V6s. I don't know if it's a marketing gimmick or a bug in the website.

Apparently Seabourn did not think so then. What evidence do you have that they are remorseful now? And if they believe that they did the right thing for developing and rejuvenating their brand with a new generation of ships, then you are indeed lucky to cruise on the old girls with another line, aren't you?

Happy sailing!

Yes indeed!

I'm on the Odyssey in late October, 2015. The website is changing daily with availability of veranda cabins. Yesterday there were none. Today, just a handful of V1s. Last month only V5s and V6s. I don't know if it's a marketing gimmick or a bug in the website.

If it's a marketing gimmick it's a failed one and they need to change it. IMO it only upsets potential customers.