Quantum Pools - Fresh or Salt Water?

"Pools are salt water."

"Pools are fresh water."

In three brief letters, the essence of the entire "Countdown to Quantum" discussion has been succinctly captured.

:-)

Yes. I thought we were maybe voting on this issue.

While I do believe they are fresh water, I am by no means an authority on the subject.

Then someone could argue that due to the fact that the fresh water is actually purified and desalinated sea water, I could be proven wrong.

Yes. I thought we were maybe voting on this issue.

While I do believe they are fresh water, I am by no means an authority on the subject.

Then someone could argue that due to the fact that the fresh water is actually purified and desalinated sea water, I could be proven wrong.

I like your answer.

When it comes to RCI, I've learned never to say never. :)

There was a tread about heated pools, that had 'diverse' opinions.

When I was on QOTS the Solarium pools were heated fresh water. But I would no put any money on the way it is today. :D

On Quantum now an Officer told me fresh water and Pool Attendant told me salt water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, just a few years ago, I would have said to always go with the information provided by the Officer.

They are usually awake at the meetings and the officer's evenings wind down much sooner than the nights (mornings) in the crew bar onboard.

With the current volumes of 1 to 2 stripe officers on ships, I would not be so sure.

Now if you talk to the Chief Engineer or the Environmental Officer, I bet you will be provided with a much more detailed answer than you are probably looking for.

Well, just a few years ago, I would have said to always go with the information provided by the Officer.

They are usually awake at the meetings and the officer's evenings wind down much sooner than the nights (mornings) in the crew bar onboard.

With the current volumes of 1 to 2 stripe officers on ships, I would not be so sure.

Now if you talk to the Chief Engineer or the Environmental Officer, I bet you will be provided with a much more detailed answer than you are probably looking for.

I'll see if I can find one of those Officers and ask. Have also seen the Hotel Director quite a few times now so I'll ask him too.

"Pools are salt water."

"Pools are fresh water."

In three brief letters, the essence of the entire "Countdown to Quantum" discussion has been succinctly captured.

Hilarious

Should I take this opportunity to complain about DD?

On Quantum now an Officer told me fresh water and Pool Attendant told me salt water.

Let's compromise! "Fresh Salt Water".

That sounds like a lot of the information we got when we were on the Quantum.

Let's compromise! "Fresh Salt Water".

That sounds like a lot of the information we got when we were on the Quantum.

Maybe somebody on board has had a taste! I know when I go swimming I end up swallowing several gallons as I have the buoyancy of a rock!!

When I was on Quantum last week, did a lot of swimming in the pools with my 5yo boy and it sure seemed that it was fresh water to me. They do use a desalination plant on board for all fresh water. But there was no salt in the pools.

What they claimed back in 2007 when the Freedom Class set sail was that the FlowRider required fresh water (otherwise the pipes and machinery would get ruined) so they decided to use fresh water in all the pools on those ships. That seems to be a rule that has carried through since then. I believe the beach pool on Oasis may be the only exception (funny when salt water is a gimmick). Not sure what the new Voyager class ships with FlowRiders are doing for their pools. I think the fresh water claim was related to needing to heat the water slightly so those pools were also claimed to all be heated, but I'm not sure that is actually a true statement. I know Indy is heated, but I'm not sure about the other FlowRider ships.

"Pools are salt water."

"Pools are fresh water."

LOL you guys are cracking me up. :D This thread demonstrates everything that went wrong with RCI's Quantum Class roll out.

If you smell chlorine or your bathing suit gets ruined/faded it is fresh water! If you don't smell chlorine it is salt water usually. A lot of home pools are converting to salt water as it is not as corrosive on pipes/motors etc. It does have a higher start up cost but less expensive in the long run. I much prefer salt water pools as it is nicer on the skin and I don't have to take an old bathing suit on a cruise so my good one doesn't get ruined. Our Athletic Club has a heated outdoor salt water pool and it is lovely.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fresh-vs-salt-water-swimming-pools#b

http://askville.amazon.com/%E2%80%9CSALT-WATER-POOL%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%9CCLOHRINATED/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=70030100

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4728446_compare-fresh-water-swimming-pool.html

If you don't smell chlorine it is salt water usually. A lot of home pools are converting to salt water as it is not as corrosive on pipes/motors etc.l

The systems you are referring to for pools still have the same levels of chlorine as non-salt pools. The difference is the Chlorine is being generated when the water passes through a chamber and through electrolysis the salt is converted to chlorine.

I don't think the reason the ships use salt water is to use chlorine generators. I think they just don't want to make so much fresh water and just fill the pools with filtered ocean water. I also heard they drain and refill the salt pools each night.