How many cigars can you bring back

From CBP website.

Traveler bringing tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, bidis, etc.) to the U.S. for their personal use.

A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. For regulations concerning Cuba, please see The Department of Treasury publication of new Cuba Regulations.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/kw/tobacco%20allowances/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyNDgwODg5My9zaWQvZipqTXNRZm0%3D/suggested/1

If returning to the USA, none from Cuba.

As many as you want from other countries.

This is just wrong, in fact there is not correct that is in it, why post about topics that you have no idea about.

Help me out....why do people post information that is not just factually wrong, but easily researched to see that it's false??

She may have been referring to total imports - yes, only 100 may be brought in under your exemption of import duty, but is there an actual ban on bringing in more if you are willing to declare them and pay import duty - which happens frequently when people exceed their duty-free liquor allowance?

What LA said about Cuban cigars is technically correct. Cruise passengers still cannot bring them in. Only licensed travelers to Cuba who fall under one of the 12 permitted categories are subject to the new tobacco/alcohol rules. This does not apply to cruise passengers and the embargo rules still apply, because they do meet the criteria of allowed travelers.

This is just wrong, in fact there is not correct that is in it, why post about topics that you have no idea about.

Why don't you be so kind and provide what is correct?

That would be greatly appreciated.

You state " there is not correct that is in it, ".

Maybe someone else could be kind enough to translate that for me.

I await your response.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

Help me out....why do people post information that is not just factually wrong, but easily researched to see that it's false??

As I asked another responder, please provide me with where I am wrong, and what the facts are.

I am of the understanding that it is illegal for a cruise passenger returning from a cruise to bring in any Cuban cigars. Am I wrong.

I am of the understanding that a cruise passenger can bring in as many cigars as they want from, say, Jamaica or Dominican Republic. They might have to pay tax/tariff whatever.

Please correct me, as I do not wish to have bad information posted here.

BTW, those that challenged me were incredibly rude.

If I am mistaken, instead of leaving it with an abrupt rude answer alleging that I know nothing and am incorrect, how about pointing out the mistake and providing the correct information.

Oh, and BTW, if I was wrong, I apologize.

Why don't you be so kind and provide what is correct?

That would be greatly appreciated.

You state " there is not correct that is in it, ".

Maybe someone else could be kind enough to translate that for me.

I await your response.

Here is from the CBP:

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These products are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

You will notice that your original post was 100% inaccurate. You are limited to 100 cigars no matter where they come from.

Edited by zqvol

Here is from the CBP:

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These products are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

You will notice that your original post was 100% inaccurate. You are limited to 100 cigars no matter where they come from.

Thank you for the link.

Here is the info on bringing back Cuban cigars, which I originally stated was illegal, and some posters stated that nothing in my original post was correct.

no traveler (whether traveling legally under an approved Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) license or traveling illegally without an approved OFAC license) may import Cuban-made goods, including Cuban cigars.

Did I not say in my original post the above? So your reference that my post was 100% inaccurate is wrong. Maybe you need to be schooled on what the meaning of 100% is?

OK, I was wrong about being limited to 100 cigars. My apologies.

Thank you for the link.

Here is the info on bringing back Cuban cigars, which I originally stated was illegal, and some posters stated that nothing in my original post was correct.

no traveler (whether traveling legally under an approved Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) license or traveling illegally without an approved OFAC license) may import Cuban-made goods, including Cuban cigars.

Did I not say in my original post the above? So your reference that my post was 100% inaccurate is wrong. Maybe you need to be schooled on what the meaning of 100% is?

OK, I was wrong about being limited to 100 cigars. My apologies.

Still wrong

Can I import Cuban cigars into the U.S.?

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption while there. Authorized travelers may return to the United States with up to $100 worth of alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba in accompanied baggage, for personal use only.

Foreign residents and visitors to the U.S. (i.e., French, Mexican etc) may not bring in goods of Cuban origin under any circumstances. Purchasing Cuban-orgin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba) remains prohibited.

For more information about travel to Cuba, please see the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/~/importing-cuban-cigars

Still wrong

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption while there. Authorized travelers may return to the United States with up to $100 worth of alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba in accompanied baggage, for personal use only.

Foreign residents and visitors to the U.S. (i.e., French, Mexican etc) may not bring in goods of Cuban origin under any circumstances. Purchasing Cuban-orgin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba) remains prohibited.

For more information about travel to Cuba, please see the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/~/importing-cuban-cigars

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original post. Where in the original post was there any reference to "IMPORTING" cigars? Let me answer that for you .... NOWHERE.

The original poster was taking a cruise. They were NOT visiting Cuba. They were NOT"authorized travelers".

So, my response to anyone taking a cruise, departing from the USA, it is not legal to bring back Cuban cigars.

So, again, it is you that is wrong. Give it up.

Still wrong

Once again, I have to back LA on this one.....same thing I said in post #7. Cruise ships do not fall under the categoy of, as highlighted in your post above, "Persons authorized to travel to Cuba" or "Authorized travelers." Furthermore, Cuba cigars purchased on a cruise were not "Acquired in Cuba."

The answer remains, no, you cannot bring Cuban cigars back to the U.S. from a cruise.

When we went to Ensenada few years ago, I bought a few cubans..the guy in the store knew we were American and he produced Mexican bands to put on the sticks and took the cuban bands off...worked like a charm, although I have to say I was pretty nervous going thru customs when we returned to LA...haha. This next time I will smoke a cuban on the ship before we return.

As I asked another responder, please provide me with where I am wrong, and what the facts are.

I am of the understanding that it is illegal for a cruise passenger returning from a cruise to bring in any Cuban cigars. Am I wrong.

I am of the understanding that a cruise passenger can bring in as many cigars as they want from, say, Jamaica or Dominican Republic. They might have to pay tax/tariff whatever.

Please correct me, as I do not wish to have bad information posted here.

...and on the lighter side aren't cigars from Jamaica called blunts? Couldn't help myself.