Antarctica on Seabourn

basor

We are looking at booking the 13FEB 2015 - 21 day Ultimate Antarctica and Patagonia on the Seabourn Quest. We have read the various threads on this itinerary when it was first proposed for 2014 and there were a lot of varying opinions on the subject.

We would love to hear from anyone that took one of the 2014 Seabourn cruises that went to Antarctica.

Thanks in advance for your insight,

Ron and Barbara

We were on the January 2014 Antarctic cruise and it was fantastic!! This isn't an expedition ship but neither is it a 'sail-by' experience. You get to land, see penguins and other wildlife and the expertise of the Expedition team is very good.

But ..... you will be very dependent on the weather. We had pretty good weather and were able to do all the landings. However, it is the Antarctic so the weather will be a gamble.

Thanks Roxburgh -

We definitely do not want a "drive by" and have looked at the Silversea's 10 day but feel like Seabourn is the best match for us. The longer cruise and additional ports of call are appealing. We have visited this region several times and look forward to returning and, hopefully, setting foot on Antarctica. We certainly understand about the weather and that would be true for any kind of Antarctic shore experience on any ship.

We were more interested in your impressions of the expedition team, how the tendering went and your time ashore...those seemed to be the big points of discussion on the forum last year when the itineraries were announced. With the larger number of passengers, did they provide interesting lectures, etc. for those passengers waiting for their turn to go ashore or having returned?

Just the thought of standing out on our balcony and seeing the diverse landscape and animals in Antarctica gets us excited!!

Ron & Barbara,

I can endorse what Roxburgh said. We were on the same cruise. It was a superb surreal experience. It was our third visit to Antarctica ( first time with SB ) and we would certainly go again with SB. The expedition staff were excellent and everything went to plan. We had over 50 lectures!! and the lecturers were very good.We have cruised with SB on many cruises but this one ranks the best. The quality of service and the professionalism was oustanding.

Kind regards,

Tony

We just found Roxburgh's "letter" and enjoyed the commentary and pictures.

It sounds like lots of cold weather layering is in order for the days - assume that staying warm usurped looking lovely! Did you still wear a suit and tie to dinner in the evenings and the ladies finer dresses?

This cruise will be the beginning of a 3 month stay in Argentina so trying to figure out packing for the trip and then clothing for hot summer days in a very casual small town in Patagonia, Argentina.

We just found Roxburgh's "letter" and enjoyed the commentary and pictures.

It sounds like lots of cold weather layering is in order for the days - assume that staying warm usurped looking lovely! Did you still wear a suit and tie to dinner in the evenings and the ladies finer dresses?

This cruise will be the beginning of a 3 month stay in Argentina so trying to figure out packing for the trip and then clothing for hot summer days in a very casual small town in Patagonia, Argentina.

Glad you enjoyed the 'letter'.

You do need layers although Seabourn supplied the parka and wooly hat. I took my padded ski pants and a pair of waterproof over-trousers. Most of the landings are 'wet' so the waterproofs are a must. It wasn't horribly cold but you do tend to get wind so the layers help. I just dressed as if I was going skiing.

Seabourn did have heat lamps up in the Colonnade outdoor section and the Patio Grill so it was still possible to eat outside or enjoy a drink. However, for lunch, we used the MDR more than on other cruises.

In the evenings we dressed for dinner as we would on any other Seabourn cruise.

We too were on this cruise,

and fashion is certainly possible for landings, Miss W is 19 and everything had to go ;) That said all she really bought was new ski pants and matching head wear. Layering was the key and I overdid it on Day 2 and was too warm!

Sometimes dinner was a little more casual than resort casual BUT formal nights were definitely formal.

We ate at the Patio Grill almost everyday for lunch, plenty of blankets and snuggles available and the dishes were well suited to the location. Most came in individual ramekins to ensure they stayed hot (in fact the food at the patio grill was better when it was freezing and snowing)

For us it wasn't the best cruise we have been on…. it was the best trip all around.

Everything went smoothly, and when there were minor issues the crew had a plan B to solve them. My only criticism was too much on at one time so sometimes you needed to choose!

Edited by MrsWaldo

We were on the December cruise which included South Georgia and we had an equally great experience as those on the later cruise. The expedition team were incredibly professional and landings were managed very well. The Captain was a star and working with the expedition leader managed to get us an extra day in South Georgia. I'd highly recommend these cruises for anyone who wants to set foot on the peninsula with a highly skilled team but doesn't have the desire or capacity for a full on expedition. The Seabourn comforts don't hurt either.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply with their impressions of this itinerary/cruise. We are very excited to be spending time in this part of the world and experiencing the Seabourn life:D

Any suggestions on tours for the varying ports and tips for enjoying this itinerary to the fullest would be appreciated.

Ron and Barbara

OK..other than if you want to do the whitewater in pouerto montt (sp) go independent especially in Chacbuco where our trip was cancelled :( so we were left to entertain ourselves…….:roll eyes:

If doing falklands we could not fault estancia (nyree) because we had a slight blip and it all still worked

ushuaia we did our own thing up to the glacier and about 80% of expedition staff did the same trip.. hmmmm

Don't take a beanie, do take extra socks, have a scarf of neck gaiter, take something to spray in the bathroom to de odorise because penguin poo stinks!

Re: tours ......

Falklands ... I did the battlefield tour and my wife went to see the Rockhopper penguins. Both were very good.

Ushuaia ... we did a private taxi tour which was also very good. Plenty of opportunities there to do your own thing and plenty of locals selling tours.

Punta Arenas ... we went to see (more) penguins and sea lions. We went out in a speedboat which was good but very bouncy coming back.

Chacabuco .... really nothing there. You can get a local bus to the nearby town of Aysen for $3 round trip. Still not very much to see.

Castro ... we just wandered around town.

Puerto Montt ... we did the tour to the National Forest which was a very pleasant and not too hard hike to see an Alerce tree. Very enjoyable.

We were on the last sailing Valpariso to BA....best way to go....it was the best cruise so far and Seabourn out did itself...warm drinks...waffle on a stick!!!all kinds of goodies. We brought hand warmers they also provided them...the expedition team was fab! lead by Robin West...getting off was a breeze once your group was announced it was less than 10 minutes into the zodiacs...extremely well organized...once on shore you didn't feel pressure to to rush about and the expedition team was stationed all over to answer all our questions...

If you are a Seabourner this is a must! If you are not a Seabourner ,why not?

In the Falkland Islands we went in the 4x4 to see the King Penguins...tho the trip to the rookery is an "off road experience "but well worth the ride....

All in all we had a blast in the driest, coldest place on earth it is truly a jaw dropper. Go!!!!!

We were on the last sailing Valpariso to BA....best way to go....it was the best cruise so far and Seabourn out did itself...warm drinks...waffle on a stick!!!all kinds of goodies. We brought hand warmers they also provided them...the expedition team was fab! lead by Robin West...getting off was a breeze once your group was announced it was less than 10 minutes into the zodiacs...extremely well organized...once on shore you didn't feel pressure to to rush about and the expedition team was stationed all over to answer all our questions...

If you are a Seabourner this is a must! If you are not a Seabourner ,why not?

In the Falkland Islands we went in the 4x4 to see the King Penguins...tho the trip to the rookery is an "off road experience "but well worth the ride....

All in all we had a blast in the driest, coldest place on earth it is truly a jaw dropper. Go!!!!!

I had forgotten about the waffles on a stick :eek: They were awesome :D

Chacabuco .... really nothing there. You can get a local bus to the nearby town of Aysen for $3 round trip. Still not very much to see..................

There is LOTS to see and experience in Puerto Chacabuco if you take this tour, which we did in Feb 2013.

En Patagonia: http://www.enpatagoniatours.cl (run by ex-pat Americans)

Here is the description:

Puerto Chacabuco Day Excursion

This adventure is designed for the traveler who has limited time, but wants to experience both the natural beauty as well as the culture of Northern Patagonia.

We will pick you up at the port in Puerto Chacabuco. Then, we’ll take a drive through the Simpson River Valley, one of the most scenic drives in the region. As we follow the river through the valley, we will pass through lush farmland and dramatic rugged green mountains. Admire the countless waterfalls that tumble down from above, see rustic old homesteads and an explosion of wildflowers. You will learn about the history of the region, the current issues, how people live here and what they do for a living.

National Reserve

We’ll stop at the Rio Simpson National Reserve where we’ll take a closer look at the magnificent landscape. After a short visit to the small museum, we will take a stroll to the river. We’ll see if we can spot condors soaring up on the skyline and admire a world class fly fishing river.

Waterfalls (Cascadas)

We will visit two impressive waterfalls, Cascada Gemelas (twin falls) and Salta Leon. If it is raining, we will also be able admire countless small cascades bounding off the sheer cliffs of the Simpson River Canyon.

Patagonian lunch and entertainment at Pangal

Pangal is one of my favorite areas in the Puerto Chacabuco area. It is the perfect place to take a post card picture of Northern Patagonia. We will see rustic farms, wildflowers, rivers tumbling below red hanging bridges and green snow capped mountains… This is where we will see “Salta Leon” which is a truly impressive waterfall that is off the beaten track.

The highlight of Pangal will be our stop at a 'campo' or country house to experience the people and the culture of Northern Patagonia. Don Carlos and Señora Juani have a picturesque farm and they are thrilled to share their way of life and customs with you. Here, we will see how this family steers clear of the supermarket by raising their own fruit, vegetables and meat. They have a typical quincho or wooden barbeque house built to roast meat and have get-togethers. Here, you will have the chance to listen to traditional music and see cueca the Chilean national dance and a staple of any Chilean party or celebration. We will have a sit down lunch with your choice of asado al palo(lamb), beef, salmon or empanadas. You will also have the chance to enjoy a hand squeezed pisco sour (a Chilean specialty) and Chilean wine.

Description of the lunch options of which you may not be familiar:

Asado al palo

Asado al palo is a Patagon tradition. It is a lamb roasted over embers of an open fire. The lunch includes lamb, potatoes, and a variety of salads from the organic greenhouses next to the quincho. The lunch also includes a pisco sour (a classic Chilean cocktail) and then your choice of Chilean wine, juice or mineral water during the lunch.

Empanada lunch

Empanadas are pastry turnovers that are baked in a wood burning oven. Each guest will get to try 2, one filled with ground beef and sautéed onions and the other with ham and cheese. Cheese empanadas are also available for vegetarians. This option also includes a pisco sour, Chilean wine, juice, or mineral water.

Vegetarian meals are also available upon request. The vegetables are all organic and from the farm.

Our dancers are local youth that have danced all their lives, but rarely get to dance for outside visitors. They are very proud to show you the traditional dances of the region and it really is an amazing experience to see them dance. So, bring your cameras!

If time allows, we will also take a spin through Puerto Aysen, the town about 20 minutes away from Puerto Chacabuco. Our biggest priority is to get you back to the port when you need to be. Thus, we may need to adjust things day of depending on time variables. We will get you back with plenty of time and drop you off right at the tender lines.

This was an unforgettable day and as about 20 of us took the trip, was VERY reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Inaugural Cruise in Nov/Dec., 2013. It was fabulous. Strong winds prevented us from tendering in Falklands but no one can control the weather. Robin West and his Expedition Team were knowledgeable, enthusiastic, helpful and professional. I am envious and would like to go again!

Private Tours: Chacabuco, Ushuia (sorry abt sp), Valparaiso were well worth it. Look at Travel Advisor reviews, then at ToursbyLocals and go for it.

Happy sailing!:)

Apparently Seabourn listened to last year's clients that Puerto Chacabuco was not enjoyed as they have canceled this port and added an additional day in Antarctica. WOO HOO!!!

We are so excited to be sailing to Antarctica on Seabourn.

Apparently Seabourn listened to last year's clients that Puerto Chacabuco was not enjoyed as they have canceled this port and added an additional day in Antarctica. WOO HOO!!!

We are so excited to be sailing to Antarctica on Seabourn.

:mad:

but only because we endured Chacabuco and our tour was cancelled. Seabourn could provide no alternatives so we effectively just wandered around in the cool and occasional drizzle.

Glad to see that took my (and obviously others) comments on board about it being a bad choice of port if tours were cancelled.

We do thank you, "MrsWaldo", for letting Seabourn know how disappointing Puerto Chacabuco was as a port of call... your unhappy experience has led to a much better itinerary for the 2014-2015 season. We will raise a glass to all of last year's participants as we spend our extra day in Antarctica!!!!

:mad:

but only because we endured Chacabuco and our tour was cancelled. Seabourn could provide no alternatives so we effectively just wandered around in the cool and occasional drizzle.

Glad to see that took my (and obviously others) comments on board about it being a bad choice of port if tours were cancelled.

Well you will just have to go again MrsWaldo :)

I know we would and I am really thinking about it as we have to use our future cruise booking on a cruise somewhere. Maybe the following year? :)

• 4 months later...

Falklands ... I did the battlefield tour and my wife went to see the Rockhopper penguins. Both were very good.

Roxburgh,

We are having trouble finding a tour operator for the Battlefield Tour in Port Stanley....could you please share who you used.

Thanks,

Ron Sorensen

We were on the Inaugural cruise in November-Dec. 2013. Fabulous cruise, particularly the stops on the Antarctica. Weather prevented us from landing on the Falklands at Stanley and this was disappointing. Weather also precluded us from landing once on Antarctica. If I were to do this again, would schedule later in the year (January for instance) because weather is kinder and permits more landings at all destination. Good sailing! This was the best cruise we've ever taken (4th on Seabourn; 3 Celebrity; 1 Holland America) Enjoy what will be a magnificent cruise! What's not to like about penguins??

Thanks everyone for the posts. We are on the Jan 13, 2013 cruise and are eagerly looking forward to this. We went 10 years ago on Explorer 2 with a capacity of 200. We were able to do 2 landings a day. I had to be coaxed onto that trip. I was unprepared for how magnificent the experience was.

I appreciate the info about the excursions as our roll call is just beginning to explore this. Where can I learn more about seeing the glacier in Ushuaia ?

Did you want to do a tour or DIY?

I'm not sure they ran tours to where we went.

We caught a taxi from the dock to the Parc and then the chairlift up.

You then walk up a well beaten path for some distance. Terrain is easy but there is a fair climb.

Make sure you have Argentinian pesos. The park office does not take CC and they charge about 2x the price for USD. I wish i had known as I had taken some ARP but also left some on the ship.

Thanks for the info. We went to the park on our last trip but only saw the glacier off in the distance. Did the taxi take you directly to the chair lift or was it easy to find? I remember the park is quite large.

I also am wondering how this trip differs from one on an expedition ship other than it is far more luxurious. Our first trip to Antarctica was on an expedition ship. The bed came complete with sides in case the seas were rough.