Antarctica on Seabourn

basor

We went to Iguazu on our own a few years ago ( not while on this cruise). It is very easy to book on your own - short flight from BA. Do not miss Iguazu - it is spectacular! Stay on the Argentinian side at the Sheraton (I think it is still called that)and try to get a room overlooking the falls. The hotel is actually in the park. Plan on staying 2 nights and spending the last morning visiting the falls from the Brazilian side. You used to be able to arrange the visa and trip right from the hotel, but that may have changed.

Getting ready to book Iguazu, so I'd love to pick your brain a bit more.

We only have three nights after the cruise, but our flight back to the US doesn't depart until 11PM... so we do have reasonable time. However, I would prefer to only spend one night at Iguazu if we can actually see enough to justify the trip. There's a flight that arrives at Iguazu at 11AM, so that would allow a good portion of that day. We could then get a flight the next day that leaves at 4PM (or 5:30, if necessary), which also gives us a fair amount of time that day. Would the Falls be feasible with that amount of time?

On a different note, what are the phone and Internet options on the cruise? I don't want to stay terribly connected to civilization but do want to have the ability to communicate with my 15 yr old son.

If you wish to visit the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls - you will need a Brazilian visa. A Brazilian visa must be obtained directly from a Brazilian consulate in the US prior to departure. It is expensive (around $200.00) and can take a long time to obtain (up to 2 months).

Brazilian consulates across the United States are no longer accepting visa applications by mail. Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or a third party.

This is true even to just go to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls for a few hours.

The Visas are good for several years so, if you are planning on visiting Brazil again in the near future, it might make sense.

Glad you made a decision. You'll love the trip on Seabourn! Would definitely book to Iguazzu and just go thru online travel service. Once there, don't bother going to Brazilian side because Argentinian side is just as spectatular AND you don't have to go to the trouble of getting in expensive Brazilian visa just to visit for the day. The hotel can easily arrange a shuttle bus to drop you off at the falls and you need not have a guide. Just walk around and enjoy - don't miss Devil's Pitchfork trail/ramps. Would not feel obliged to stay in the Sheraton. Just do some internet shopping because what you really care about is seeing the falls and there are many fine hotels. Before you land in Iguazzu, (we took a LAN flight - they are fine), the pilot will make an attempt to fly over both sides (Argentinian and Brazilian) before you land so you will also see that most beautiful sight from a higher view. Suggest you fly in on Day 1, walk around town, have dinner, Day 2 hotel arrange for the shuttle pick up and stay overnight Day 3 fly out the third early in the am to allow yourself lots of time to get to back to BA where you can take a 1/2 day BA tour. I recommend an early flight because a fluke electrical storm came in and grounded all planes so we had to hustle that last day (missing the BA tour) to get back to the ship. Don't miss IGUAZZU!!! Bon Voyage!!

If you wish to visit the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls - you will need a Brazilian visa. A Brazilian visa must be obtained directly from a Brazilian consulate in the US prior to departure. It is expensive (around $200.00) and can take a long time to obtain (up to 2 months).

Brazilian consulates across the United States are no longer accepting visa applications by mail. Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or a third party.

This is true even to just go to the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls for a few hours.

The Visas are good for several years so, if you are planning on visiting Brazil again in the near future, it might make sense.

This is true for US citizens. However, many countries are exempted from getting a visa. Check visa status here:

http://cgbeirute.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/who_needs_a_visar.xml

While on Chile did you take the ship's tour to the parks or did you do private CC excursions arranged on your own? If on your own can you recommend anyone for the Chilean ports?

This info is very much appreciated. We are on a January voyage.

While on Chile did you take the ship's tour to the parks or did you do private CC excursions arranged on your own? If on your own can you recommend anyone for the Chilean ports?

This info is very much appreciated. We are on a January voyage.

We took ship's tours in Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt.

In Punta Arenas we took a half day speedboat tour to see Magellanic penguins (more penguins :eek: ) and sea lions. That gave us the afternoon to visit downtown Punta Arenas (which takes about 30 mins).

In Puerto Montt we took a tour to the national park to see an Alerce tree which was at the end of a fairly easy 2-3 mile hike.

I know the small pool area on Deck 5 is used for boot storage, but is the main pool filled on the Antarctic voyages please ?

From what I remember the main pool had water in it but was covered my a net The smaller pools beside it were used every now and then but we had a very calm trip sailing the Drake Passage. Returning it was a little rougher

Rivah

Can you leave earlier in the day for Iguazzu? You need most of that day to see the falls and an earlier flight will facilitate that. Otherwise, you may not wish to travel back from the hotel to see more of the falls the next day. Defintely see the falls! The ship has reliable wi -fi I. All locations so bring an IPAD or some othe device. Alternatively you can go to the computer room but that's a little less convenient. You can stretch your internet time and save $ by taking a device with you at each port as many of the dockside buildings you will walk thru as you go Shore, will be wi-fi connected too and at no cost. Enjoy the cruise a d those marvelous "bucket list" falls!!

Rivah

Can you leave earlier in the day for Iguazzu? You need most of that day to see the falls and an earlier flight will facilitate that. Otherwise, you may not wish to travel back from the hotel to see more of the falls the next day. Defintely see the falls! The ship has reliable wi -fi I. All locations so bring an IPAD or some othe device. Alternatively you can go to the computer room but that's a little less convenient. You can stretch your internet time and save $ by taking a device with you at each port as many of the dockside buildings you will walk thru as you go Shore, will be wi-fi connected too and at no cost. Enjoy the cruise a d those marvelous "bucket list" falls!!

Rivah our TA organized a flight from BA to the falls with a private guide to pick us up and take us around the falls then we flew back to BA late that night. We thought that was enough time for us even though the plane left 2 hours late due to heavy rain at the falls. There was only a drizzle when we got there but it was really worth it.

Re the internet time we used our OBC from the referral voucher http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=983252

as we were first time cruisers with Seabourn. This gave us unlimited time. We thought seeing it was kinda free money anyway.

I did it through SB but it was a last minute diversion and i needed to be sure our arrival back at the ship was guaranteed. There were 5 of us on the tour and it was excellent Had i planned ahead i would of done it myself. ( Seabourn book the more expensive fully flexible flights and seem to get the better rooms at the Sheraton. Ours were on the second floor from the top and right in the centre of the building the view from my room was better than from the Jnrs) My cost analysis after, was that through SB the actual cost was about $100 more. We seemed to pick up better rates because there were three of us but we still had 2 rooms.

If doing it by yourself the only consideration is to make sure you get back from Iguazu the night before sailing. Even LAN has lots of delays because at that time of year the weather is an influencing factor. Our flight back was delayed a bit but the flight after was rescheduled until 4 hours later due to an approaching storm.

We enjoyed having the overnight but possibly didn't need it. We managed to fit all 3 walks in on the one day. Our guide said this often isn't the case if you have people who are less able. The norm is 2. We were going to do the lower falls again on the 2nd morning but the weather was miserable.

Edited by MrsWaldo

I know the small pool area on Deck 5 is used for boot storage, but is the main pool filled on the Antarctic voyages please ?

There was a net over the main pool. The crew shoveled snow from the deck into the main pool.

No the hot tubs at the main pool and deck 6 remain open . We have a great photo of us in the tub on deck 6 with Antarctica behind us.

They emptied the pool after Stanley and refilled it after Ushuaia

Thanks MrsWaldo - that is what we were hoping!!!

No the hot tubs at the main pool and deck 6 remain open . We have a great photo of us in the tub on deck 6 with Antarctica behind us.

They emptied the pool after Stanley and refilled it after Ushuaia

Thank you "Mrs Waldo"and also "Thecat123" and "Hotroot" for your replies, it looks as if my morning swim will have to be put on hold !:)