Canon power shot decision to be made!

We leave next week for Alaska, so excited!!! I have a canon power shot sx 280 to use for the trip. It has the 20 zoom lens. I am trying to decide if I should purchase the canon power shot sx 700 hs. It has a 30 zoom lens. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the SX 50 HS. When you get to long zoom ranges I tend to have stability issues, of course if you play with the ISO and shutter speeds you can fix those, just something to consider.

I have the SX 50 HS. When you get to long zoom ranges I tend to have stability issues, of course if you play with the ISO and shutter speeds you can fix those, just something to consider.

Yep super zooms need a pod, really that simple, I have never understood why someone using an SLR with a 500mm lens would reach for a pod but on a P&S thinks it's not needed. Let alone when you get into the extreme high numbers.

Check out this zoom camera on the moon.... Can the Earth stay still?

[YOUTUBE]mfshAzV0FN4[/YOUTUBE]

I say anything above 8x needs needs a tripod. That extra zoom is wasted.

I have the 50SX as well for the past 2.5 years. Before that, I had the 2IS. I love the 50SX. And disagree about needing a tripod at higher zooms. I have not used a tripod with either camera over the past 10 years and have taken some incredible long range shots. Pay the extra $75-100 to go to the 50SX or the new top of the line which I think is the 70SX. I made a similar decision years ago with the 2IS which at that time was the best (12x) and don't regret it. It lasted 7 years for me before I gave to my niece and got the 50.

I have the 50SX as well for the past 2.5 years. Before that, I had the 2IS. I love the 50SX. And disagree about needing a tripod at higher zooms. I have not used a tripod with either camera over the past 10 years and have taken some incredible long range shots. Pay the extra $75-100 to go to the 50SX or the new top of the line which I think is the 70SX. I made a similar decision years ago with the 2IS which at that time was the best (12x) and don't regret it. It lasted 7 years for me before I gave to my niece and got the 50.

I agree here. I have a 40SX (35X zoom) and have taken over 5,500 pictures and have been happy with the camera.

Check out this zoom camera on the moon.... Can the Earth stay still?

[YOUTUBE]mfshAzV0FN4[/YOUTUBE]

I say anything above 8x needs needs a tripod. That extra zoom is wasted.

That is impressive.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Yep super zooms need a pod, really that simple, I have never understood why someone using an SLR with a 500mm lens would reach for a pod but on a P&S thinks it's not needed. Let alone when you get into the extreme high numbers.

Lol, the weight for one on a good lens. You are right though, for those long focal lengths you need one of two things, a Pod or a camera that has a good enough sensor to crank the shutter speed way up with the given ambient light without creating noisy pictures. I haven't used a super zoom camera so I haven't tested exactly what they are capable of without a Pod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hand held, in a boat, ISO 100 at about 750MM equiv

nice pic.

Here are two from the same position, one at 50x optical zoom, the second at normal zoom. The VAB is in the center of the 2nd picture.

aIMG_0094.jpg.4d679b9b2be667b5202dd7754175d19f.jpg

aIMG_0095.jpg.72b1060df5f93b419e8a76ff0f6b13f1.jpg

I have the new SX60sx and I agree. Great little camera, have been using the SX cameras for several years now and while I take a pod on trips, I only use it for timed shots. With the 60 in Alaska you will be able to see bears flossing with a fish bone while others will just see him eating something:D

• 2 weeks later...

After debating on several options I just bought a Canon SX50 instead of the 60 model because although the 50 has fewer features (no WiFi, no NFC, 12 vs 16 Mpixels and several others) professional photographers appeared to favor the 50 model and the clincher was getting a refurbished 50 for <$250 (which was just like new BTW).

I couldn't be more pleased with this camera in comparison to all of the other Canons, Nikons, Olympus and Panasonic cameras I have ownedwith much lower zoom capabilities. Although this camera has many, many features, using it seems to be easier and much more intuitive than any of my other cameras. Best of all, the Image Stabilization on this camera is GREAT and as an example: I took a hand held, full zoom shot of the moon and the crater detail made my wife ask if I had used a telescope.......hand held to repeat myself.

Although I have not tried an SX60, you will likely be happy with either model as a travel camera as both are not nearly as heavy as some of the DSLR choices that have nowhere near this zoom ability.