Rating of River Cruise Lines

eegebe16

I am afraid you will have to scan the comments on this board. There are a number of outfits that do river cruises.

Tauck, Vantage, Viking, AMA, Grand Circle are a few. Some people make up a spreadsheet so they can compare all the costs. The things to consider are what is included in the base price.

Airfare, transfers, excursions, upgrades to a higher class cabin,wine with meals, etc.

The devil is really in the details. You may see a low price, then find out air, excursions, etc. are extra.

As an example, on a Deilamnn cruise we took some years ago, air, transfers, excursions were extra. On the Vantage cruises we have taken, that was all included.

If you would like to see our stories and pictures of our river cruises, our website is http://www.stevekathytravels.com

We would be happy to answer any questions.

Edited by SJGOCH

This probably has to be the most often asked question on what is also probably the most subjective area of river cruising. Reading many threads you'll see those that have their favourites and those that have had good and bad experiences. In our case I put together an extensive spread sheet for the Amsterdam-Budapest cruise and found that the itineraries were not the same, the excursions offered were not the same, some had options and some didn't, some were all inclusive and some weren't and in the end it boiled down to what I wanted to see, what my budget was and how much per day was I going to spend.

In the end we chose Tauck because it not only met all the things we wanted it was also cheaper per day than all but 2 other lines. I have to add that the strength of the Aussie dollar also helped. I'm sure though that whatever itinerary and cruise company you choose you'll have made the right choice for you.

I agree with the spread sheet method.

Though folks are well meaning, I don't hold much faith in the "we have done 5 cruises with XYZ and they are wonderful" because you are not the poster and your needs and requirements will most probably be significantly different from theirs. Further, if someone has only cruised on one line, can they really make effective comparisons?

Try to find a travel agent who specializes in river cruises. I used one and she had a wealth of information to share with me that helped me to decide which line to choose for the itinerary we wanted to do. Surprisingly, she also got me a better deal than the cruise company's quoted fare.

One more tip: If you live near a major international airport then included air could work. We have to fly a commuter flight between home and a major airport and none of the included air fare offerings have been a savings. Usually there is a list (fairly short) of the departure points that the inclusive air fare will cover. Look at the offer carefully.

Read the fine print. Check the details of the so-called "deals". Make sure you don't have to pay the entire fare up front to get a so-called "deal." That's a lot of your money in someone else's hands for a long time to get that "deal." If it's a "two for one" offering, check prices on similar lines. Most of the time I've found that the "two for one" pricing was exactly the same as another lines regular pricing but sometimes it is a real bargain.

Everyone seems to have a gimmick, you just have to find the cruise line whose gimmick works for you.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

I am afraid you will have to scan the comments on this board. There are a number of outfits that do river cruises.

Tauck, Vantage, Viking, AMA, Grand Circle are a few. Some people make up a spreadsheet so they can compare all the costs. The things to consider are what is included in the base price.

Airfare, transfers, excursions, upgrades to a higher class cabin,wine with meals, etc.

The devil is really in the details. You may see a low price, then find out air, excursions, etc. are extra.

As an example, on a Deilamnn cruise we took some years ago, air, transfers, excursions were extra. On the Vantage cruises we have taken, that was all included.

If you would like to see our stories and pictures of our river cruises, our website is www.stevekathytravels.com

We would be happy to answer any questions.

All the companies you listed appear to be reliable firms. I have done a lot of research prior to picking Vantage for our Russian River Cruise. What I found here on cc and trip advisor was the Viking gets good rating for nearly every other river cruise other than its Russian River Cruises. AMA is good, but their prices are about the highest.

We narrowed it down to Grand Circle and Vantage. Vantage offers first rate hotels in Moscow and St. Pete. in the downtown area. Our hotel in Moscow is about a mile from Red Square.

Each firm offers something different, so you have to do a best value evaluation.

Read reviews. They can be helpful. If everyone loves a line, it's probably good. If everyone hates a line, stay away. I've picked up a lot of good advice on Cruise Critic and from other web review sites. I also ask my family and friends. Those are people whose tastes you know. For example, I have a friend who is very picky. I've she loves a cruise, tour, or hotel, it's going to be fabulous. She may not be the most charming person, but I really value her opinions. Using her for opinions has proven to be my best choice. I also have one friend who loves almost everything...lovely lady ...always happy...don't put much faith in her opinions. Talk with trusted friends and family. Also, unless you want to bring friends and family on your vacation, don't be specific on dates and places. I have a lot of friends who love to travel with me...nice if you want to bring a ganag, but there are times when I want to travel with only my spouse. My friends like Uniworld and AMAwaterways. Ms. Picky doesn't like Vantage, Grand Circle or Viking. I'm on AMAwaterways in May. I'm sure it will great.

Can I be directed to a rating of river cruise companies that is broadly based on the level of satisfaction of travelers?

Does anyone know if the Koln-Dusseldorf Rhine Cruiseline still exists? I took a cruise up the Rhine with them years ago and loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Though folks are well meaning, I don't hold much faith in the "we have done 5 cruises with XYZ and they are wonderful" because you are not the poster and your needs and requirements will most probably be significantly different from theirs. Further, if someone has only cruised on one line, can they really make effective comparisons?

Try to find a travel agent who specializes in river cruises. I used one and she had a wealth of information to share with me that helped me to decide which line to choose for the itinerary we wanted to do. Surprisingly, she also got me a better deal than the cruise company's quoted fare.

One more tip: If you live near a major international airport then included air could work. We have to fly a commuter flight between home and a major airport and none of the included air fare offerings have been a savings. Usually there is a list (fairly short) of the departure points that the inclusive air fare will cover. Look at the offer carefully.

Read the fine print. Check the details of the so-called "deals". Make sure you don't have to pay the entire fare up front to get a so-called "deal." That's a lot of your money in someone else's hands for a long time to get that "deal." If it's a "two for one" offering, check prices on similar lines. Most of the time I've found that the "two for one" pricing was exactly the same as another lines regular pricing but sometimes it is a real bargain.

Everyone seems to have a gimmick, you just have to find the cruise line whose gimmick works for you.

Kellie,

We are trying to plan our first river cruise for a group of 6 (siblings and spouses). We would like to do the Rhine River and also want to do a little land touring in Germany near Berlin (birth place of father) either before or after the cruise. How would we find a travel agent who specializes in River Cruises? I have used a Cruise only travel agent for numerous ocean cruises and I know they advertise river cruises. Would this be a good choice or do I need someone who only does River Cruises to get the best deal?

Clare

It's common in the travel industry for agencies to have "group" contracts with different suppliers. This would be the case when you get a better price or deal booking with an agent vs the supplier. You buy into the group, but actually never know who else has done the same. It's a win/win situation for both the traveler and the agency.

We are off on our first rivercruise this year and I picked Viking for the Yangtze - Shanghai, Xian to Beijing nights included. Seems rather slim pickins for the river itinerary, so Viking it is. We're looking at AMA for a Tulips/Windmills trip next late March or April. Can't believe how quickly the cabins sell out..!!

Thanks to all on this thread for your good tips/advice/concern....especially the South Texas gal..:D

Does anyone know if the Koln-Dusseldorf Rhine Cruiseline still exists? I took a cruise up the Rhine with them years ago and loved it.

Yes the KD line still exists. Check out their website here khttp://www.kdrhine.com/. This is a great way of cruising the Rhine if you do an independent style trip. You can select specific towns/cities to stay in for periods of time and then cruise on to another. You will probably be cruising with a more diverse crowd than if you do a complete cruise with one of the river cruise companies mentioned on the CC boards.

Can I be directed to a rating of river cruise companies that is broadly based on the level of satisfaction of travelers?

I wish there were a River Cruiseline rating. I did research different lines here and was happy with my choice, but it would have helped to have an objective ratings with input from a wide range of people.

I wish there were a River Cruiseline rating. I did research different lines here and was happy with my choice, but it would have helped to have an objective ratings with input from a wide range of people.

Wouldn't that be nice! We're off on our first river cruise this year and planning for a couple more next year. The research takes loads of time, but I've been looking around. Priorities are: itinerary, size of stateroom w/balcony, age of boat, tours included, internet availability, bicycles available and lastly, the dining options and food. We're looking at a 'tulips/windmills' and the 'Bucharest to Budapest' for next year with hopefully a 'Christmas Markets' thrown in too. Anyone with hints is most welcome to post..!:D

There are listing's out there if you look for them, Conde Nast does a "Goldlist" every year ranking the best small ships and cruise lines. I know that some people say it's only the companies that advertise in CN that make the list, but that isn't correct - there are cruise lines ranked that I have never seen advertise in the magazine and that I've never received direct marketing from. Also, the Zagat survey did their first cruise edition last year ranking the best of the best for both ocean cruising and smaller cruises. Zagat is one of the most respected ratings for restaurants so it was interesting to see how they ranked the ships and cruise lines. I would take a look at some of these if you want to see how the different lines stack up against one another.

• 3 years later...
Yes the KD line still exists. Check out their website here khttp://www.kdrhine.com/. This is a great way of cruising the Rhine if you do an independent style trip. You can select specific towns/cities to stay in for periods of time and then cruise on to another. You will probably be cruising with a more diverse crowd than if you do a complete cruise with one of the river cruise companies mentioned on the CC boards.

I am searching in vain for info about a river cruise charter on a KD ship called Sonata, supposedly built in 2010. I read on wikipedia that Viking bought the "multi-night portion" of KD's cruise business in 2000. A local travel agency is advertising two charter cruises on the KD Sonata and I am amazed that I cannot turn up a single review in my web searches. So, fellow CC members, please help!

Edited by BAYA
typo

No reviews because likely the clientele is German....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The charter is from a travel agency in the greater Boston area. I suppose not enough people have sailed on a KD charter for it to merit reviews from cruisers.

The charter is from a travel agency in the greater Boston area. I suppose not enough people have sailed on a KD charter for it to merit reviews from cruisers.

Not English speaking passengers anyway! Watch the YouTube videos of the ship....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the other hand we payed in full when we signed up for the cruise and got upgraded (free) from a level 5 cabin (lowest fare) to a level 2 cabin. That would not have happened had we simply paid a deposit. Would I expect this to happen again for us? No but the point is you never know what perks will come your way as a "good customer".

• 2 weeks later...

my wife & I consider cruise ships--whether river or ocean-going-- to primarily be 'delivery systems" to visit some really neat places. Once you find one or more that you really like according to your desired itinerary, then narrow down based on your preferred price and the various on-board offerings of the main lines discussed to a huge extent on this website. Most companies will offer a very nice experience, provided you aren't looking to recreate your own Downton Abbey.

my wife & I consider cruise ships--whether river or ocean-going-- to primarily be 'delivery systems" to visit some really neat places. Once you find one or more that you really like according to your desired itinerary, then narrow down based on your preferred price and the various on-board offerings of the main lines discussed to a huge extent on this website. Most companies will offer a very nice experience, provided you aren't looking to recreate your own Downton Abbey.

We feel that the ship/boat is indeed an integral part of the experience and not ancillary to the itinerary.

On the ocean, we would never cruise on a mega ship or one that caters to families. For us, that would make the experience altogether undesirable. We know what we enjoy and choose accordingly.

On the river, we enjoy a certain level of luxury and service and would not cruise with a line that does not provide both.

YMMV

We feel that the ship/boat is indeed an integral part of the experience and not ancillary to the itinerary.

On the ocean, we would never cruise on a mega ship or one that caters to families. For us, that would make the experience altogether undesirable. We know what we enjoy and choose accordingly.

On the river, we enjoy a certain level of luxury and service and would not cruise with a line that does not provide both.

YMMV

I agree. We fly business class to Europe for the same reason.

In July, I bought a great book for $11.78 from Amazon:

Berlitz River Cruising in Europe [Paperback] by Ward, Douglas

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Berlitz+River+Cruising+in+Europe+%5BPaperback%5D+by+Ward%2C+Douglas

It reviews ALL of the ships by name, with photos, deck plans, and independent opinions. The publication date is July 2014 and, therefore, contains all the new ships. I am really enjoying it. ;)