Fort Lauderdale hotel questions

Star1

We are flying into FLL on Aug. 4th cruise out of POM Aug. 6th. I have looked at Embassy Suites on 17th but reviews sound like hotel is a bit run down. In the past we have used the Sun Trolley. We loved being able to get to the beach and shops on this trolley. Am I correct it is close to the Embassy Suites Hotel? I am also looking at other Hilton hotels. We enjoy the pool, beach and medium priced meals that we can walk or trolley to. Any advice?

I am also looking at Marriott hotels too. I am unsure of what hotels are the best in this area.

I will need to get from airport to hotel, hotel to POM. I am looking into shuttles from airport, car rental and Uber as my choices.

Thanks for all of your knowledge.

Relax and enjoy life.

We are flying into FLL on Aug. 4th cruise out of POM Aug. 6th. I have looked at Embassy Suites on 17th but reviews sound like hotel is a bit run down. In the past we have used the Sun Trolley. We loved being able to get to the beach and shops on this trolley. Am I correct it is close to the Embassy Suites Hotel? I am also looking at other Hilton hotels. We enjoy the pool, beach and medium priced meals that we can walk or trolley to. Any advice?

I am also looking at Marriott hotels too. I am unsure of what hotels are the best in this area.

I will need to get from airport to hotel, hotel to POM. I am looking into shuttles from airport, car rental and Uber as my choices.

Relax and enjoy life.

I think a few of the bad reviews (haven't seen that many) are a bit of an exaggeration....They certainly wouldn't stop many on these boards from booking. I always prefer this hotel and the only thing stopping me from booking it (need 4 rooms) for our March 2017 pre-cruise is the $$'s....So I've opted for Hyatt Place instead this time....great deal using valuetrips.

So you want to spend your two nights in Fort Lauderdale rather than Miami?

I wouldn't stay on 17th street if you have two days. Why not stay on the beach where everything is walkable?

Look at Doubletree Bahia Mar. (Moderate beach hotel). Further north are Marriott Beach Place and also Courtyard .

Marriott choices:

Renaissance

Marriott Harbor Beach

Courtyard beach (probably the least expensive)

Marriott Vacation Club Beach Place Towers

Ritz Carlton (probably the most expensive)

Hilton choices:

Embassy Suites

Hilton Marina

Hilton Beach (the nicest Hilton)

Doubletree Bahia Mar (probably the least expensive and recent reviews are mixed)

Edited by royalcruz

royalcruz...you appear to be the Ft. Lauderdale expert...

on our previously two cruises sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, we have flown in two days prior and took a shuttle to the cruiseport from one of the North Beach Village properties on sailing day. Next year, we will also stay in Ft. Lauderdale for two nights but will need to get to the Miami cruiseport. Can you suggest the best way to get there? I've heard a taxi can be as much as $80; there are three of us, but that still seems a bit steep. Any other options?

Thanks for your help.

Susan

The Marriott Beach place is a very nice option. Kind of a strange entrance as it is built on top of a 3 story car park.

The rooms are suites with kitchen and very comfortable.

It is across the road from the beach like many of the FLL beach hotels are.

There are many restaurants on the strip all within walking distance. There is also a large CVS in front of the Marriott for any last minute needs.

The Embassy is fine, not sure what there would be to complain about?

If you are cruising out of Miami, why not stay on South Beach? The Courtyard Marriott South Beach (not the Miami Beach one) is very nice. There is also an oceanfront Marriott.

South Beach is tons of fun!

royalcruz...you appear to be the Ft. Lauderdale expert...

on our previously two cruises sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, we have flown in two days prior and took a shuttle to the cruiseport from one of the North Beach Village properties on sailing day. Next year, we will also stay in Ft. Lauderdale for two nights but will need to get to the Miami cruiseport. Can you suggest the best way to get there? I've heard a taxi can be as much as $80; there are three of us, but that still seems a bit steep. Any other options?

Thanks for your help.

Susan

You can get SAS shared shuttle for $15/person from the airport or from most hotels near the airport. You have to get there, so add that in.

You can get Uber X from Ft Lauderdale beach area to POM for about $40, but if you have a lot of luggage you'll need Uber XL for about $80.

A taxi will probably cost even more than that.

Private transportation will cost about the same as a taxi or more.

Edited by royalcruz

Was just on the Hilton MVP sight to check on prices for my December cruise. Just saved $95 over the reservation I am already holding.(I got the Bahai for $95 night. Then, checked your dates although you did not mention how many people beds you need. I see Hilton Marina is $96/nite (plus taxes). I also have a reservation for Best Western Plus Ocean side for over 3 days, just $5 less. I am holding on at this point since the BW reservation comes with breakfast included.

Relax and enjoy life.

Regarding the Sun Trolley, the trolley starting point is in the shopping center behind ES which is about a five minute walk. There is a trolley stop that is about a two minute walk away, just go out the side door and the stop is across the street. The reason I mentioned the shopping center is that you will get a better selection for seating by getting on at the first stop.