Should I bring my iPad to the Baltic?

Nitemare

Wondering if the Journey's WiFi is good enough that I can take my iPad for some minor necessary interneting in our upcoming Baltic cruise, or should we just head down to the wired computers onboard.

Nothing more rigorous than e-mail and ESPN checking, but if the wireless is lousy, we'll just leave the iPad home.

Thanks!

Edited by Nitemare

Wondering if the Journey's WiFi is good enough that I can take my iPad for some minor necessary interneting in our upcoming Baltic cruise, or should we just head down to the wired computers onboard.

Nothing more rigorous than e-mail and ESPN checking, but if the wireless is lousy, we'll just leave the iPad home.

Thanks!

It's not fast, but I wouldn't describe it as lousy on the trips I have been on and use it quite a bit. I take my iPad for additional use too. It's handy to have.

Phil

I took my iPad and found Internet speed ok. It was great to check emails in the cabin. I also took it ashore and picked up free wi-fi in some of the ports. I will definitely take it on our next cruise.

• 2 years later...

On our last cruise- i took mine- I downloaded maps of cities, guides to cities, schedules of things I wanted to see, etc. so they were easily available and did not need internet access. Also, I downloaded photos from my camera every night so I had an extra copy of photos, should something happen to SD card. It was very useful! I don't recall using the wifi-though.

On our last cruise- i took mine- I downloaded maps of cities, guides to cities, schedules of things I wanted to see, etc. so they were easily available and did not need internet access. Also, I downloaded photos from my camera every night so I had an extra copy of photos, should something happen to SD card. It was very useful! I don't recall using the wifi-though.

Do you have some recommendations on sites to use for maps that don't require wifi? I have looked at a few and they say they are free but then charge for them.

I just got a new camera so will have to find out how to download pictures to my iPad. Thank you so much for your help!

I was just looking over your post and wondered what you downloaded the pictures from your camera to, and how you did it without wifi.

Thanks.

You need a devise that connects either the camera or the card to the iPad and it downloads the photos. You can buy this from Apple

Do you have some recommendations on sites to use for maps that don't require wifi? I have looked at a few and they say they are free but then charge for them.

I just got a new camera so will have to find out how to download pictures to my iPad. Thank you so much for your help!

I use my ipad extensively for travel, too. I have an app called "Go to PDF" that turns virtually anything that can be copied to the clipboard into a pdf. I then save it to ibooks on the ipad and have literally all our travel reservations and documents available.

I also use it for all my books, which I download from Amazon into their Kindle app for ipad. I get all my books free or less than $2 from bookbub.com with a daily email of books available.

For maps I use the CityMaps2Go app. I download the maps (guides) for wherever I'm going, then it can be totally offline. You can search inside the map for restaurants, museums, streets, etc. The only thing it doesn't do is find a particular address offline, and it does not have a routing feature. However, I have used it extensively when I travel and I love it. It was extremely handy last month when we were in Paris and London for a week.

If you go to any city with a metro I love the mxData Limited metro apps. They are offline and have a fantastic route planner that tells you the trains to take from one location to another. I find the nearest stations on my CityMaps2Go map, then enter them into the metro app, and it gives me the complete route of trains. Love it! I used it in Paris, London, and Washington DC recently.

pcur, thanks for sharing that information.

Phil

No problem, Phil. I'm always happy to share stuff that helps me when I travel.

One other app that gives me peace of mind at home on my pc and on my ipad is Roboform Everywhere. It encrypts and saves all your user id and password combinations. Then, all you do is sign in as you go about your usual online business, and Roboform offers to save it for you. You can organize them into folders: financial, travel, etc. Download the app to ipad, synch it, and you have all your id/passwords stored on your ipad. You use a master password to allow Roboform to fill and submit for you.

I seriously love this app. I don't have to remember the passwords anymore, and I just synch it before I go anywhere so I have the latest.

It's great when traveling, because I can be anywhere and not worry about logging into banking, etc.

No problem, Phil. I'm always happy to share stuff that helps me when I travel.

One other app that gives me peace of mind at home on my pc and on my ipad is Roboform Everywhere. It encrypts and saves all your user id and password combinations. Then, all you do is sign in as you go about your usual online business, and Roboform offers to save it for you. You can organize them into folders: financial, travel, etc. Download the app to ipad, synch it, and you have all your id/passwords stored on your ipad. You use a master password to allow Roboform to fill and submit for you.

I seriously love this app. I don't have to remember the passwords anymore, and I just synch it before I go anywhere so I have the latest.

It's great when traveling, because I can be anywhere and not worry about logging into banking, etc.

Pcur, I've been reluctant to use such an app, for fear IT would be hacked and then ALL my passwords would be compromised. But on the other hand, it is so hard to remember all the different and current passwords. Last time I traveled I actually had coded all my passwords on a tiny piece of paper hidden in my wallet and wouldn't you know it I lost that! Had to change every password. How safe do you feel with Roboform?

bb

Pcur, I've been reluctant to use such an app, for fear IT would be hacked and then ALL my passwords would be compromised. But on the other hand, it is so hard to remember all the different and current passwords. Last time I traveled I actually had coded all my passwords on a tiny piece of paper hidden in my wallet and wouldn't you know it I lost that! Had to change every password. How safe do you feel with Roboform?

bb

Bonnie, I read lots of reviews about Roboform. It's been around a long time, too.

i've used it on both my home pc and my ipad for about six months now. I have instant alerts on all my credit cards and bank accounts, and never had any of my ids and passwords compromised, and we have lifelock. With all our traveling it makes for peace of mind. Roboform is another layer and soooooo convenient. Just set up a really good master password.

Edited by pcur

Here is a site that explains the photo download process to ipad- http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-load-photos-onto-your-ipad.html.

Peggy- thanks for all your information- yes I have used the citymaps2go. I'll look at Roboform- I'd been dreaming of an app like that!

That's a big help, thanks. I need to get over to the Apple Store and get an IPad Camera Connector.