Just booked Solstice to Alaska! First time X

Langley Cruisers

*Hello? ... blink blink... I don't come in here very often....*

We have had a future cruise credit (or equivalent!) for years and finally booked our first Celebrity cruise on Solstice to Alaska this May! We look forward to experiencing Celebrity; are Diamond on RCI and have been already set up with Elite status for our first X cruise. Have heard such positive things about the line and this particular ship. Not looking for anything, just wanted to share. I know it will be great. :)

Hi Karen; yes, sharing is caring. Happy for you to try our favorite cruise line; especially a Solstice class ship. Ironically, we are really starting to like RCI and all that they have to offer.

Please come back and give us a nice comparative review when you return?

Welcome to X,

Lisa

Welcome to Celebrity!

I am the opposite of you, I have tons of Celebrity Cruises and just did my first on Royal Caribbean as a Diamond member in Dec.

Honestly I found the two lines to be more similar than different.

However, the staff to guest ratio is much better on Celebrity than Royal Caribbean, and especially I noticed the Royal Caribbean ship being slightly under staffed. That may vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing depending on how full the ship is. This meant that service is more attentive and timely on Celebrity, and little details were more polished on Celebrity. Food temperatures were more often correct on Celebrity than Royal Caribbean.

If you like wine at all, the wine service is impeccable on Celebrity and an afterthought on Royal Caribbean.

You should have a great time on Celebrity. Be sure the check out the Hot Glass show. It is one of my favorites on the three Solstice class ships that have it. I'm going in June on Solstice to Alaska and then back to Royal Caribbean for a family Christmas Cruise.

*Hello? ... blink blink... I don't come in here very often....*

We have had a future cruise credit (or equivalent!) for years and finally booked our first Celebrity cruise on Solstice to Alaska this May! We look forward to experiencing Celebrity; are Diamond on RCI and have been already set up with Elite status for our first X cruise. Have heard such positive things about the line and this particular ship. Not looking for anything, just wanted to share. I know it will be great. :)

It sounds like you will be getting on the Solstice when we will be getting off. We get off May 1 coming from Hawaii and then the ship starts the Alaska run. Enjoy

We loved the Solstice. Alaska, Caribbean, wherever - doesn't matter. Liked the Blu restaurant (food and service) and access to the Persian Gardens provided with Aqua Class. Enjoyed the hot tub and heated stone lounges that provided excellent views off the ship over the ocean. Spa experiences, now operated by Canyon Ranch, were outstanding!

Enjoyed the Hot Glass shows; outstanding young artists demonstrating their skills and sharing stories, answering questions.

A beautiful ship and very good crew. Lots of places to getaway from the crowds, if desired.

Best wishes to you for a fantastic Alaskan cruise!

We normally prefer smaller ships but enjoyed Solstice.

The only time it really felt like a large ship was after an evening show with so many trying to exit at the same time. We would wait 10 -15 minutes and most people were gone.

Food and service were good and the ship was in great shape. Enjoy

^ Thank you both. We have been on large and small ships, and yes, also find all of them crowded at peak times like theater, muster, etc.

We especially look forward to not having to fly to embarkation this time. I am just resting and getting my energy back after cancer treatments and a major surgery, so excited to not have to fly (which tires me out).

Lois, May 1 - 8. Looks like we'll be getting off as you arrive.

Additional questions, please - And yes, I have been a member here for years but I simply cannot find the answers I'm looking for. :o

~Is the glass blowing show free (included)?

~What additional included eating venues besides the buffet are on Solstice - I'm thinking similar to Park Cafe, Promenade Cafe, Latte-tudes on Royal - that type of thing for snackies?

~Assume the details of the evening cocktails will be in our cabin, where and when (we are Elite first-timers)?

Thanks!

Additional questions, please - And yes, I have been a member here for years but I simply cannot find the answers I'm looking for. :o

~What additional included eating venues besides the buffet are on Solstice - I'm thinking similar to Park Cafe, Promenade Cafe, Latte-tudes on Royal - that type of thing for snackies?

~Assume the details of the evening cocktails will be in our cabin, where and when (we are Elite first-timers)?

Thanks!

Hi Karen, yes the glass blowing shows are free.

Additional food? There is the Aqua Spa Cafe...opened for breakfast

and lunch. No charge. There is Bistro on 5.....they serve crepes,

panninis, salads.....it is 7.00 per person...you can order as much

as you want;)

Snacks? Cafe Al Bacio serves pastries, cookies, cakes, etc...no

charge for the sweets.....but you do have to pay for your beverage.

As for the Elite Cocktail hour? It always depends on how many folks

are on board each cruise. It can vary.....so, yes, check the paperwork

in your cabin.

And yes, I will be boarding as you are disembarking. Hope you have

a wonderful cruise:)

• 1 month later...

My name is lindylou15,(Linda). Four of us adults, are going on Celebrity Solstice at the end of May. We are so excited because everything we read is so positive! I haven't been on a cruise since I was in my early 20's, and can't believe the luxury and opportunities I hear about this cruise as well as cruising in general nowadays! Can't wait to meet others on the 5-29-15 cruise!

Great choice! The Solstice is easily the highest rated ship sailing Alaska, very contemporary and truly follows to companies motto, "Modern Luxury". We love the S Class ships.

This summer will be our 3rd Solstice Alaskan cruise and also the 3rd year for the Solstice in Alaska. One of our favorite cruises of all. :cool:

I would also like to comment on the great staff and management team on Solstice.

Hello Langley Cruisers. I take it that you are sailing out of Vancouver and disembarking in Seattle? We were on the first sailing of the Solstice under the Lions Gate Bridge last May. Very exciting.

As others have said, this is a wonderful ship.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the hamburgers and fries at the Pool Grill. These are excellent and free also.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by TeaBag

Hi Karen (Langley Cruisers) -- Welcome to X! :) We're also former RC converts -- good to see that you're already enrolled in the Captain's Club. I think you'll like the Elite perks. Yes, you should have a welcome letter from the Captain's Club Hostess in your cabin, upon embarkation. That will also include dates/times/places for the Captain's Club events -- along with your Elite coupons and drink vouchers (if applicable on your sailing).

One difference from RC that you'll immediately notice -- silence! ;) No bingo, art auction, or belly-flop contest announcements, constantly blaring from the PA system! Once a day (usually around noon) the Captain comes on for his daily navigational report. When he's finished, the CD will usually give a quick rundown of that day's upcoming events -- but, that's it! :cool:

Thanks!

We are on the same cruise, and are so ready to be on board already!!! (Desperate for a vacation!)

My name is lindylou15,(Linda). Four of us adults, are going on Celebrity Solstice at the end of May. We are so excited because everything we read is so positive! I haven't been on a cruise since I was in my early 20's, and can't believe the luxury and opportunities I hear about this cruise as well as cruising in general nowadays! Can't wait to meet others on the 5-29-15 cruise!

Linda

Come join us on the roll call page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064284

We could use some new blood...

We also have a wealth of knowledge to share just ask

Do not forget to sign up for the Connection Party

Edited by rdhnd

We sailed Alaska on the Solstice last May. This was our 4th S class ship but 1st time on the Solstice. What a beautiful ship, great crew and breath taking scenery! My husband and I both agree that our Alaskan cruise was perfect in every way. We can't wait to sail on the Solstice this December!

Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks!

We are on that cruise as well. It's our first time in Alaska, second time on Celebrity and I couldn't be more excited! See you onboard!

Yea, thank you! I haven't read one negative word about this ship, so that is encouraging. :)

We spent 6 weeks on the Solstice last year and had a fantastic time. The ship is immaculate. The officers and crew extremely friendly and professional. The final week of our Uber cruise was the first Alaska sailing of the season. Spectacular. If you don't do anything else then take the train in Skagway. We booked it privately with Chilkoot Charters. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise. Welcome to Celebrity.