Black lace dress -- please help with a jacket or top!

travelgoddess1

I have a black lace dress, lined with a flesh-colored fabric. The dress has elbow-length sleeves, a slight scoop neck, and hits me just below the knees, very basic cut. I need to know what to wear as a jacket or top: shawl, shrug, jacket, sweater? Color is important. I'm even considering a tailored mandarin-collar denim jacket.

This is not for formal night, but I would like a smart casual look. I'm also thinking of black tights with black heels.

Please help. :)

I vote for a scarf, shawl, etc. with the black tights and heals. I've seen this style of dress and it is pretty dressy looking. The mandarin collar jacket might be cute if it was not denim. Just don't see them working. On our last cruise I forgot to pack a scarf and got a black and ivory one on board and I'm thinking that combination would work well.

Mary Lou

If your concerned about body warmth, I'd opt for a thin thermal vest undr the dress (could also be worn under other clothes..It#s what Princess Di always did and if it was good enough for her...), I have a sparkly black cardigan which is useful or perhaps a black crushed velvet type fringed pashmina. I love my black lace dress which sounds similar to yours with a sparkly statement brooch

Sandy in Spain

If your concerned about body warmth, I'd opt for a thin thermal vest undr the dress (could also be worn under other clothes..It#s what Princess Di always did and if it was good enough for her...), I have a sparkly black cardigan which is useful or perhaps a black crushed velvet type fringed pashmina. I love my black lace dress which sounds similar to yours with a sparkly statement brooch

Sandy in Spain

CuddlDud camisole for warmth under the dress and scarf over the dress. If you'll be outside for long, just bring your coat!

801854255_640.jpg?hei=185&wid=185&op_sharpen=1&qlt=85

Good ideas -- I'm not used to colder climates, and don't even own a winter coat, so these items would come in handy.

My experience with pashminas is that I'm always fussing with them - so I tend to go with sweaters or jackets.

I have a couple of black lace dresses with nude slips and they look pretty dressy - which is why I don't know if the denim jacket will work, regardless of colour. But if the dress cut really is just a sheath then the lace/denim juxtaposition may look cute, especially with the right shoes.

I have a couple of fly weight sweaters that I wear with EVERYTHING - including lace tops. There are a lot of them out there now, but I found one at White House Black Market that has actual shape in the back, which makes it more interesting.

Love the idea of adding colour :)

Guest maddycat
Since we are talking lace, I need suggestions on an ivory short sleeve top( over blouse) that I have. Can wear an ivory or maybe black cami underneath. But what for bottoms? Black slacks? I don't have a long black skirt.

Need help!;)

I think that it would look great with black slacks.

Since we are talking lace, I need suggestions on an ivory short sleeve top( over blouse) that I have. Can wear an ivory or maybe black cami underneath. But what for bottoms? Black slacks? I don't have a long black skirt.

Need help!;)

How about ivory over ivory cami with camel (or a darker beige) slacks?

Edited by royalcruz

How about ivory over ivory cami with camel (or a darker beige) slacks?

I think that is a lovely look if it works on your skin tone. Assume it does since you have the shirt (for me, it doesn't - but then, I don't own an ivory blouse for that reason ;-)

Sometimes white/black or ivory/black look too "waitress" or "member of the orchestra" for me. Depends on the style, but personally I usually avoid it (or, wear a black top, black pants - and then a different colored sweater).

Edited by Hoyaheel

Need help!;)

I would go with a monochromatic look -- all black, with the ivory top.