HAL 2016 Cruises

ron1946

HAL was extremely late in getting the fall 2015 and spring 2016 itineraries out this year.

The new ship being built will not be going to Akaska -- so her schedule should not have any impact on Alaska.

What does impact the Alaskan itineraries is Glacier Bay and when Alaska finalizes who will go there.

Crystal and Azamara already have their full 2016 schedules out, which is why we have bookings with them. And, for the first time, Celebrity will be releasing their full 2016 schedule this Fall (usually it's in the Spring). Maybe other cruise lines will follow suit and start earlier releases. But HAL has always been a little slow to do so, so who knows? But I'm ready to make some more bookings! =)

Michael

When can we expect to start seeing the 2016 cruises and especially the Alaska Land and Sea Schedule?

Do you think HAL will wait until after the new ship's schedule is posted?

I won't expect the new 2016 itineraries prior to April 2015.

Statendam will leave the fleet, so at least one ship less may operate in Alaska.

Several times ago, a cruise calendar up to April 2016 was on the HAL website, and there I found that Nieuw Amsterdam is expected to do Panama Canal in April 2016.

As far as I guess, she might do Alaska in 2016.

Others should be Westerdam and Noordam.

Zuiderdam and Oosterdam are listed in several ports of Europe in 2016, so they are unlikely to operate in Alaska...

This is something I tend to think about since my favorite cruise line is Crystal which, as noted, is a leader in publishing itineraries and my primary alternate HAL comes in near the end of the parade. I have Crystal cruises booked into 2017.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both the cruise line and the customer. It is beneficial to a cruise line to get the customer's attention first, and with rare exceptions I tend to put HAL and everything else second to my Crystal plans. The downside to a cruise line is that with the world situation changing, the earlier you publish your itineraries the more likely you will need to make changes as the world situation evolves. The other downside for a cruise line is that some people will make reservations and then cancel when another line publishes their schedule.

There are always exceptions. One thing about HAL is the special itineraries tend to be stable. For example, the Prinsendam usually does an Amazon Explorer right after the fall transatlantic. I had my heart set on that last fall, and set aside that part of my cruising schedule even though I didn't have the details. I started making plans right after the transatlantic was published, even though it was several more months before my cruise was officially announced.

My plans rarely change after I book a cruise but it does happen. I had booked and was really looking forward to a June Crystal Symphony transatlantic when next year's Prinsendam May Kiel Canal was announced and was incompatible with that cruise. I would have preferred to start with the Kiel cruise and work the transatlantic around it, but that was not to be. Fortunately, I was able to switch to a May Crystal Serenity transatlantic that fit perfectly with my plans but that was largely dumb luck.

Releasing schedules early has both an upside and a downside. I assume both companies follow a policy that they think works best for them.

Roy

When can we expect to start seeing the 2016 cruises and especially the Alaska Land and Sea Schedule?

Do you think HAL will wait until after the new ship's schedule is posted?

I already hear the Volendam will be the first ship in Alaska 2016, I think the itineraries will be out in December, the Volendam is coming over from Tokyo in April 2016 and making its way via Alaska to Vancouver arriving May 4 in Vancouver it is scheduled to do Glacier Bay on April 30th (permit approved) :)

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry the schedule I posted only goes out through April of 2016. Alaska to Australia will occur in Oct 2016. I'm sure it will be a Vista class in 2016 as it looks as if Noordam replaced the Osterdam in 2015 for the Australia/New Zealand cruises.

We are interested in the transpacific cruise that HAL is doing with the Noordam in 2015. When will the ship for this route in 2016 be announced?

I understand that the Nieuw Amsterdam will be doing the Trans Pacific next year(2016), & will probably do Australia/ New Zealand/South Pacific itineraries similar to those currently sailed by Oosterdam, then Noordam during our next summer "down-under".

We did the 2013 Trans Pacific on the Volendam, made our booking at the end of May 2012 , when the itinerary became available for bookings. So guess the Trans Pacific Itineraries for next year will be available approximately end of May this year.

Edited by erewhon

I understand that the Nieuw Amsterdam will be doing the Trans Pacific next year(2016), & will probably do Australia/ New Zealand/South Pacific itineraries similar to those currently sailed by Oosterdam, then Noordam during our next summer "down-under".

We did the 2013 Trans Pacific on the Volendam, made our booking at the end of May 2012 , when the itinerary became available for bookings. So guess the Trans Pacific Itineraries for next year will be available approximately end of May this year.

NA and Noordam are both in Alaska in 2016.

I would love to do the Voyage of the Vikings in 2016,..

It took years to convince DH to do it & when he finally agreed several years ago it was too late as the cruise was fully booked..

Know my Friend will agree if it goes to Ireland, but then we will have to convince her DH to do it..

Does anyone have any idea if it will go to Ireland in 2016..

Edited by serendipity1499