Snorkel Park Beach

Stickboy3327

Hello everyone - We just got off the Breakaway yesterday (sad!). We were docked in Bermuda from Wednesday through Friday.

We had heard so many negative things about Snorkel Park Beach. Even the captain of our catamaran snorkel tour (Restless Native - which was a lot of fun, BTW) said it should be avoided.

On Friday the kids were occupied so my wife and I decided to spend $10 and go to the park. It was not at all as bad as everyone says it is. Yes, it was crowded but no more so than Horseshoe Bay. We ended up walking all the way to the fence on the left and had plenty of space.

We saw so many fish and the water was extremely clear. We saw more fish here than we saw on or catamaran snorkel tour. There is even a small wreck to see. The staff were very polite and helpful. One of the workers came out and was telling people where the fish congregate, what to see, etc.

So, if on your last day there you want to see fish and hang out and relax within walking distance of the ship I would not hesitate to suggest you go here. I would suggest that you wear water shoes or flippers as the entry is very rocky.

Hello everyone - We just got off the Breakaway yesterday (sad!). We were docked in Bermuda from Wednesday through Friday.

We had heard so many negative things about Snorkel Park Beach. Even the captain of our catamaran snorkel tour (Restless Native - which was a lot of fun, BTW) said it should be avoided.

On Friday the kids were occupied so my wife and I decided to spend $10 and go to the park. It was not at all as bad as everyone says it is. Yes, it was crowded but no more so than Horseshoe Bay. We ended up walking all the way to the fence on the left and had plenty of space.

We saw so many fish and the water was extremely clear. We saw more fish here than we saw on or catamaran snorkel tour. There is even a small wreck to see. The staff were very polite and helpful. One of the workers came out and was telling people where the fish congregate, what to see, etc.

So, if on your last day there you want to see fish and hang out and relax within walking distance of the ship I would not hesitate to suggest you go here. I would suggest that you wear water shoes or flippers as the entry is very rocky.

I agree

I agree also, we went there one morning a few years ago with my 3 grand kids, DW and DD/SIL.

We had a great morning there and the kids really enjoyed it. Is it the best beach I've been to in BDA? Probably not but it was convenient and enjoyable and as long as the kids had a great time I'm happy

Edited by Ontime Departure

I have to agree especially for anyone traveling with kids. We sailed April 24th and were in Bermuda Wed-Fri as well. We were married on the ship and had family traveling with us. The first day in Bermuda my hubby and I went to horseshoe ourselves which we enjoyed. The next day we took my sister, her bf and my nephew to snorkel beach and it was perf for him. He would have been bored at horseshoe (hes 4) but at snorkel he was able to be in the water safely, look at fish, pedal board and they even hand sand toys for him to play with. Personally I wouldn't skip horseshoe but if we ever have kiddies and travel with them I would def take them to snorkel beach!

I agree. Of the 5 of us who've gone to Bermuda together, only my daughter and I like sitting at the beach. My mother and I brought her to Snorkle Park our last day there so that she could say she went to the beach and went swimming. My mom was able to sit in the shade and my daughter was thrilled. We didn't go back there last time just because we were too busy, but I'd go back there again. I think maybe Monday it's free? or one of the other mid-week days.

Thank you for the information. My husband and I leave this Sunday on the Breakaway and we have this excursion booked for the last day in Bermuda.

Edited by Irene7

We were in Bermuda on the Gem four years ago, and after one of our full days out and about touring, etc. we returned to the ship, got our beach stuff and snorkel gear, and walked over to Snorkel Park beach. It was the late afternoon and very quiet, and we found it very enjoyable. I would certainly not recommend this to the exclusion of other beaches in Bermuda, but if you have a little time to fill, or don't want to leave the Dockyard the day you sail, it's an option.

GemCruiseOct2011703.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

That's exactly right....for ten bucks in the right situation...sure its worth it. There are times it has even been free.....back in the day and sometimes late in the day. But some of the cruise lines were selling excursions there for $50.00 per person....and for that it is absolutely not worth it......but to walk over there with toddlers....or on a lazy day when you don't want to travel around....it is fine.

Just returned from Bermuda last week. I haven't had time to write a full review but hope to do so soon.

We spent part of the last day at the Dockyard at Snorkel Beach Park. It was very crowded - guess we all had the same idea! We did not get in the water but lots of others did. They were snorkeling, paddleboarding, kayaking - even snuba! Chairs and umbrellas available.

It was a good place to spend several hours close to the ship on the day of departure - not having to worry about watching the time so closely was worth the $5/pp admission.

Definitely not Horseshoe Bay (which is gorgeous) but still a good place for a beach experience.

Snorkel Park Beach is good for visiting a beach on sailaway day. You're close to the ship, and can easily get back on time.

I like to spend time on the beach, then nose around in some of the nearby shops before leaving.

We've been on at least 5 Bermuda cruises, and might go back again next summer.

Last year I bought a cheapish snorkel set on Amazon. Brought that with me for snorkeling at horseshoe and snorkel park. Saw lots of fish both places. I did notice that the cruise lines actually have the nerve to offer an excursion to snorkel park. That is absolutely unnecessary. You can walk there and rent a chair yourself for 1/2 the price. Also snorkel park is great for the little tots. There is a section with a slide just for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see Snorkel Park getting a little love. Is is a nice little beach to spend your last day on the island at. If you think it's going to be crowded just get there a little early and stake out the spot of your choice. There is even a high tech mini golf course there.

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree with you! Everyone told me not to waste my time going here, man made beach, trashy, crowded, and so on. I always like to form my own opinion on places and we went once at night and watched the sun go down and it was beautiful (they had the fire going and roasting marshmallows) and went another time on a different cruise and stayed there for the day. The snorkeling was good and we had a great time (even seen an octopus). :)

I would go back again if I need something to fill up a short port day before the ship pulls out.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at a different beach this time than Horseshoe Bay, only because I have done that beach many many times.

The cruise ship offers an excursion to Snorkel Park Beach which is walking distance from the ship. Because Horseshoe Bay is about a 20 to 30 minute drive, Snorkel Park Beach will allow me time to shop near the ship before retuning to the ship. Before I go there, I would like very much to get feedback from any folks that have done this beach.

Horseshoe Beach is an awesome beach though.

Thanks for any feedback.

Snorkel Beach does not need a ships excursion. You can simply walk there and pay admission and rent a chair at the entrance. The last day I usually go to snorkel park or take a snorkel excursion. I like to snorkel from shore but you can actually walk out to waist high water and throw some cereal and be surrounded by many colorful fish. Take a couple of cereal boxes or a roll from buffet. Also, there usually is some steel band music playing and there is a bar if you want to have a beer or piña colada. It's very relaxing and stress free. Again, do not use the excursion. You could always take the little free train shuttle to get there. My mom is 80 and she walked.

Again, do not use the excursion. You could always take the little free train shuttle to get there. My mom is 80 and she walked.

Good advice. Using the ships excursion to Snorkel Park would only be done by passengers who have never been to the Dockyard and don't know how totally unnecessary and actually ridiculous doing that would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We have looked into the "Day at the Beach" excursion through NCL to Snorkel Park Beach and after doing the math, it seems to be worth the money if you all use all of the included amenities. It is $59 per adult and you get the admission ($5), chair and shared umbrella ($20), full snorkel gear ($20) and an hour kayak or paddle board (up to $30). For kids, it's $39 and I don't know whether they are allowed to snorkel or paddle board, but it does include the snorkel gear and access to beach toys. However, if you aren't going to use all the amenities, it would be cheaper just to walk over and pay the admission. From what I've read, it doesn't compare to the other beaches as far as beauty is concerned, but it is convenient for last day on the island or if you don't want to travel far from the ship.

We have looked into the "Day at the Beach" excursion through NCL to Snorkel Park Beach and after doing the math, it seems to be worth the money if you all use all of the included amenities. It is $59 per adult and you get the admission ($5), chair and shared umbrella ($20), full snorkel gear ($20) and an hour kayak or paddle board (up to $30). For kids, it's $39 and I don't know whether they are allowed to snorkel or paddle board, but it does include the snorkel gear and access to beach toys. However, if you aren't going to use all the amenities, it would be cheaper just to walk over and pay the admission. From what I've read, it doesn't compare to the other beaches as far as beauty is concerned, but it is convenient for last day on the island or if you don't want to travel far from the ship.

It is only worth it if you plan on utilizing all of the equipment. I couldn't do a paddle board if my life depended on it, lol. Snorkel gear I brought from home,(cheap ones, it's not like you are going far out in the middle of the sea, you will be a few yards from shore) you really don't need the flippers unless you are planning to swim far out. Go to the Dollar Store at home and buy your kids a pail and shovel $1.00 and sand moulds $1.00. And here's the best. . . we brought noodles from the dollar store from home. I curved them into a large Marshalls shopping bag and tied the handles shut. $1.00.

If you are only going to stay maybe an hour our two you don't even need a chair or umbrella. Bring your towel from the ship, sit on that.

From what I've read, it doesn't compare to the other beaches as far as beauty is concerned, but it is convenient for last day on the island or if you don't want to travel far from the ship.

No, it does not compare. It is a man made beach. The beach is dirty and there is broken glass on the beach. Yes, I have been there. I was interested in the snorkeling but seeing the glass and how filthy it was I didn't bother snorkeling. And I have my own snorkel gear. (You can buy your own pretty cheap, do you really want to rent stuff that's been in other people mouths and trust it being cleaned at a place like Snorkel Park?)

Really you don't have to go there the last day for convenience. There is plenty of time to go to Horseshoe Beach the last day. It is easy to get there and back. I have done that the last three years with no problem at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515