Puerto rico excursion - help!

susan1957

We have been to P.R. several times but only spend hours :( shopping...I have a shopaholic SISTER! Can anyone recommend an excursion....maybe snorkeling....something different than SHOPPING....I have browed the excursions but like to go by "great reviews"...thanks a bunch.

We have been to P.R. several times but only spend hours :( shopping...I have a shopaholic SISTER! Can anyone recommend an excursion....maybe snorkeling....something different than SHOPPING....I have browed the excursions but like to go by "great reviews"...thanks a bunch.

Our favorite thing was the time we spent in the rain forest. PR isn't really known for its beaches ( not on the mainland anyway) nor its snorkeling. We actually spent 2 days in the rainforest on a pre-cruise land stay there. It is beautiful and there is one trail that is friendly to non hikers. It takes you down to a La Mina Falls. Big Tree trail is more user friendly than the others for the typical visitor.

Our favorite thing was the time we spent in the rain forest. PR isn't really known for its beaches ( not on the mainland anyway) nor its snorkeling. We actually spent 2 days in the rainforest on a pre-cruise land stay there. It is beautiful and there is one trail that is friendly to non hikers. It takes you down to a La Mina Falls. Big Tree trail is more user friendly than the others for the typical visitor.

If you stay outdoors in Puerto Rico, use plenty of insect repellant. The island has the highest # of reported Zika, dengue and chikungunya cases in the area.

If you stay outdoors in Puerto Rico, use plenty of insect repellant. The island has the highest # of reported Zika, dengue and chikungunya cases in the area.

This. Last year I was eaten alive by Mosquitos when I was just walking around Old San Juan. Didn't get a single bite at any of the other islands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did a tour with Legends of Puerto Rico, but it was an evening tour, so that might not help you. It was a fun couple of hours.

Have you considered a food tour? We haven't tried this company, but we've done food tours in several ports. You can try different foods and learn about the history of the port. It's something different to do. And they don't allow shopping :).

http://www.sanjuanfoodtours.com/

Have you considered zip lining? There is a great place in Toro Verde. It’s a bit of a hike from Old San Juan so you might consider booking through the cruise line. We had a great time! They have a zip called the Beast that was almost a mile long if I remember correctly.

I would also recommend the rainforest. But again, it’s quite a distance from OSJ so I would book with Carnival just to make sure I got back in time. Keep in mind though that it is a long hike ……a long way down and a long way back up. It was worth it though!

We did a couple cave tours (Cueva Venta (window cave) and Rio Camuy Cave). They were ok. Definitely interesting but it probably wouldn’t be my first choice if I were only there for a limited time.

My sister and I did our own “food tour” based on others I had seen or read about. A couple of the places that stick out are Waffle-era Tea Room…..which was AMAZING!! There is Senor Paleta, they have frozen popsicle like treats. Coffee was fantastic at Aromas Coffee House. We also saw a Flamenco dance/show at Triana Tapas and Flamenco. The food was ok there and the show was interesting. Oh and the Sangria! I can’t remember the name of the café but it was on the first floor in the corner inside the Ballaja (I think that’s what it was called) near the El Morro fort.

We did self guided tours of two of the forts....that would be interesting as well!

Thanks so much for all your replies...Amysue....we did zip lining last time in St. Kitts....LOVED it....as far as rainforest hike....my sister has a bad back....so that's out....(funny....walking and shopping for 5 hours doesn't seem to bother her back!!!)...LOL....so are limited....I shall plug away....Question....when I browse all the excursions on Carnival...very few allow to add to cart....can only purchase the excursions that are listed when I sign into my account?????