Civitavecchia Temporary Drop Off Point

euro cruiser

For those who want to walk to the train station during the temporary re-location of the shuttle bus drop-off point, the walk is still less than a mile (barely) at 9/10th of a mile.

The starting point is a parking lot off Via Turco. You can make a google map of the location using these coordinates: 42.097354, 11.788769.

The train station is at the very southern end of Viale della Repubblica, and most of the walk is along Via XVI Settembre, which becomes Corso Marconi, and then along the waterfront.

Do anyone know when will the temp drop last? I am taking the cruise in early August. I have a bed shoulder and cannot haul my bag for too long walking.
The last report I saw (dated February 2014) said late March/early April, but we know that didn't happen. I haven't found anything published with an updated timeline.

While searching I did come across an interesting bit on the city's web site about approximately 500 pounds of unexploded ordinance (which they note was probably from WWII) that was found while doing the work on the fort.

Thanks for sharing how long the walk is from the train station with the construction!

Does anyone have an estimate of how long the walk is without the construction? I'm hoping it will be finished by the time I go on the Epic in early October.

Thanks!

The starting point is a parking lot off Via Turco. You can make a google map of the location using these coordinates: 42.097354, 11.788769.

The train station is at the very southern end of Viale della Repubblica, and most of the walk is along Via XVI Settembre, which becomes Corso Marconi, and then along the waterfront.

To save people the effort - http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Via+Turco,+00053+Civitavecchia+RM,+Italy&daddr=42.088295,11.79813&hl=en&sll=42.092624,11.793128&sspn=0.013837,0.017874&geocode=FSRaggIdLOCzACnDJNT1UqMoEzE1STMhiEa5zQ%3BFWc3ggIdcga0AA&oq=Viale+della+Repubblica&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

This page claims that there is a free shuttle bus every 15 minutes from the port (Via Isonzo) to the railway station

http://www.civitavecchia.co.uk/civitavecchiatrainbustickets.html

Anyone know if this is running from the temporary drop off point, or the normal one?

When we were there last month, it was one euro, it ran from the temporary drop off point, and it said it ran every 20 minutes. There appeared to be quite a long line of people waiting for it. It's possible that now with the busy summer season have changed it to every 15 minutes and maybe even made it free??

Last week on Oceania, we were dropped by the ship shuttle bus at a far away temporary gate. There was a special bus for 0.80 euro to the train station,about every 30 - 40 minutes starting at 8am. Folks said it was a 15 minute walk but it would have been much more than this - it was not walkable with suitcases.

Last week on Oceania, we were dropped by the ship shuttle bus at a far away temporary gate. There was a special bus for 0.80 euro to the train station,about every 30 - 40 minutes starting at 8am. Folks said it was a 15 minute walk but it would have been much more than this - it was not walkable with suitcases.

Whilst you are correct in saying it's more than a 15 minute walk - more like 20-25 depending on the speed you walk - it is walkable with suitcases, we've done it when we stayed at the Hotel Traghetto last year, which is right by the new bus stop.

It all depends on how comfortable you are with walking - and I know some people won't won't even the smallest distances and some people are mobility challenged. If you're reasonably fit and happy to walk 20 minutes, rather than wait around for a bus which could then be very full, it's a pleasant enough, level, walk to the train station.

Edited by Bobal

My wife and I just returned from this port stop and we caught a bus for less than 1 euro direct to the train station. We had planned to walk, but the bus happened to be there, so we got on.

The walk would definitely be more than 20 minutes. We walked over 7 miles in Rome while in port, so we are not afraid to walk. The value of getting an extra 1/2+ in Rome was well worth the money spent.

At the risk of repeating myself again :p I have done this walk several times, it is around 20 minutes. If you look up walking directions in Googlemaps using Civitavecchia train station and Hotel Traghetto (which is very close to where the bus drops) as points of reference it gives the walking time as 17 minutes.

I only point this out again because I have seen some alarmist comments on other threads about the distance and, whilst it is nice if the bus to the station is sitting there waiting to go, I believe people should not be put off the walk by thinking that it's further than it is.

If you click on the map helpfully inserted in post #8 you'll see that the distance from the temporary drop off point to the front door of the train station is nine-tenths of a mile. Google estimates this as an 18 minute walk (google uses 20 minutes per mile for walking calculations).

I happen to walk a bit faster than that, but walking is something I do a lot of. Due to heat and not being sure of where they are, others may move a bit (or a lot) slower than the "google pace".

I was at this port (Civitavecchia) just last week. We disembarked after a wonderful week on the Celebrity Equinox. The ship disembarked at the farthest location possible.

It was our final port and we had our luggage with us. The route to the train station is walkable, and we did walk it, but it was a challenge with luggage.

We are use to walking so this was not an issue, the issue is dragging a suitcase over bumpy roads, etc. It is a pretty direct walk. In hindsight, I wish we had taken the shuttle, which is not free, but cheap. Of course, there was a long line of people trying to get to the train station with their luggage.

Either way it's doable. Ultimately, one needs to consider the amount on luggage, the heat, any mobility issues, etc. We are all different and what works for some, may not work for others. Good luck!

Edited by gentleharp

My two cents worth - sure, it is walkable from the train station to the shuttle bus. We did walk. By the time we arrived to cruise check-in, we were hot, sweaty messes, and we broke a wheel on one of our bags. Not quite the way I would have liked to board our ship.

IMO - It is not worth whatever you save to do this walk. There is no clear signage for walking - you know the general direction, and eventually end up where you should. I had read about the bus to the shuttle, but forgot about this when we arrived at the train station.....

On disembarkation day, we were picking up a rental car near the port. My husband walked to the rental agency and left the luggage with me. Even without luggage, it is definitely more than a 10 - 15 minute walk, and my husband walks pretty quickly.

If you are embarking and have all your luggage with you then it's probably worth getting some transport. I'm sure it is walkable with luggage, but it's typical town walking with roads to cross etc. most people in such a situation tend not to walk that.

If it is a port of call and you are heading into Rome then it's a very walkable journey for anyone who doesn't struggle with walking.

I'd always recommend checking the train timetables and ensure you have time for the shuttle, walk and ticket purchase when you leave your ship.

In most circumstances, if you are heading for a specific train then getting on the bus is likely to just end up with longer waiting time at the station, rather than extra time in Rome, but it's worth knowing if you could get on an earlier train if the bus happens to be available.

How could I find out the timetable for port shuttle transfer, I read it is about 20 minute wait time.I wont mind to pay for extra for the bus. We will embark to liberty of sea in August 7th, how will I know the temp drop off point is no longer need? thank you

How could I find out the timetable for port shuttle transfer, I read it is about 20 minute wait time.I wont mind to pay for extra for the bus. We will embark to liberty of sea in August 7th, how will I know the temp drop off point is no longer need? thank you

The shuttle that takes you to and from your ship generally runs as soon as it is full, not on a schedule.--I have never waited more than a few minutes.

The bus from the temp drop off does run about every 20 minutes but I wouldn't worry about a timetable, just take the shuttle and get on the next bus. You'll know if they're not using the temp spot because you'll be dropped off in front of the old fort instead of in a big parking lot! Just keep checking back here, I'm sure it'll be posted as soon as it happens.

The bus from the temporary drop off point runs every 20 minutes and costs 80 cents each way.

The problem is on the return, as so many passengers return on the same train, the single bus cannot accommodate all off them, and it is a free for all to get on.

This page claims that there is a free shuttle bus every 15 minutes from the port (Via Isonzo) to the railway station

http://www.civitavecchia.co.uk/civitavecchiatrainbustickets.html

Anyone know if this is running from the temporary drop off point, or the normal one?

They charge you .80 euros from the temporary drop off to train station and if you have more than one ship at the port, the shuttle bus line gets busy. We just walked to the station (20 min walk).

I think the shuttles run every 15/20 mins.

For those who want to walk to the train station during the temporary re-location of the shuttle bus drop-off point, the walk is still less than a mile (barely) at 9/10th of a mile.

Are you talking about the free port shuttle drop off point?

We were intending on foot on embarkation day from a hotel in between the railway station and the old shuttle drop off point and were going to use the free port shuttle. By the looks of things we will now need to book a taxi if you cannot walk within the port. I find this odd as surely the work isn't going on everywhere?