Need for ship's fire drill ?

2old4this

We were not surprised on our recent Cunard cruise from New York to Southampton to be told to join the crew on the boat decks for a dock briefing on ship's evacuation. As we reached for life jackets we got a second PA message saying those passengers who had done this before need not attend. We were surprised to hear this.

I have often thought about the need for such drills since I am aware that in the situations where ships have gone into sinking mode, capsizing, and going under, they almost always result in captain and crew first, the strongest males next, with some women, children and the elderly riding the beast to the bottom. These ships had their boat drills led by what appeared to be very well trained crew members with commanding voices.

Those of us who have salt water traveled know the low level chaos that always takes place when just doing dock-side drills. Imagine for a moment what takes place with a listing ship, alarm bells ringing, and the crew with the hand paddles nowhere in sight. The old are slowing the young on the stairs and the elevators are locked shut. Lifeboats are swinging free on their davits and people screaming in every direction. The drill training, be damned, it is everyone for herself.

Does Regent still do evacuation drills?

since it has been over a year since we were on Regent, I can't confirm their current practice. However, this CC article has some good information of what is required by SOLAS: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4719

Cunard saying don't bother if you've done this before seems to be a VERY liberal interpretation of the SOLAS requirement.

Edited by Portolan

Re. Boat Drill! It is mandated by SOLAS - Safety Of Lives at Sea! I think it is a VERY GOOD idea!

No doubt apocryphal: Winston Churchill landed in NYC and reporters asked why he didn't sail over on a British liner?

Churchill said he likes the Italian lines ," None of this Women and children FIRST nonsense!"

Previously, when on a B2B cruise, one only had to attend to muster drill on the first segment of the cruise. However, after the Costa disaster off the coast of Italy, Regent now requires ALL PASSENGERS to attend the muster drill for each and every segment that one is on the cruise.

gnomie :)

In response to the above post, the Italian cruise ship preference Winston Churchill "quote" is indeed apparently a "red herring," as confirmed by Richard Langworth's definitive book on Churchill quotes, "Churchill By Himself" http://smile.amazon.com/Churchill-Himself-Definitive-Collection-Quotations/dp/1586489577/ref=smi_www_rcolv2_go_smi?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Snopes notes that the quote has been attributed to various famous people, such as Noel Coward, but there is no compelling evidence that any of them said it. Most of the similarly cruel Churchill "quotes" are also apocryphal, such as "An empty taxi pulled up to the kerp and Clement Atlee stepped out of it." But he did utter the risible description of Atlee as "A sheep in sheep's clothing."

I highly recommend the Langworth book if you, like me, are a WSC fan...

P.S.: If you go online you can find a satirical photo of women's pumps with frogman flippers attached, labelled "The latest thing in Italian cruise ship evening wear"...

Edited by JPR

In response to the above post, the Italian cruise ship preference Winston Churchill "quote" is indeed apparently a "red herring," as confirmed by Richard Langworth's definitive book on Churchill quotes, "Churchill By Himself" http://smile.amazon.com/Churchill-Himself-Definitive-Collection-Quotations/dp/1586489577/ref=smi_www_rcolv2_go_smi?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Snopes notes that the quote has been attributed to various famous people, such as Noel Coward, but there is no compelling evidence that any of them said it. Most of the similarly cruel Churchill "quotes" are also apocryphal, such as "An empty taxi pulled up to the kerp and Clement Atlee stepped out of it." But he did utter the risible description of Atlee as "A sheep in sheep's clothing."

I highly recommend the Langworth book if you, like me, are a WSC fan...

P.S.: If you go online you can find a satirical photo of women's pumps with frogman flippers attached, labelled "The latest thing in Italian cruise ship evening wear"...

Great stuff, JPR, and well worth laughing over. I'm looking on the Internet for the flipper and high heels evening wear you mentioned. That one half-submerged Italian ship has changed cruising forever. I'm inclined to think that when the crew and most everyone else on board understands their ship is going under, the best of plans change with the speed of the sinking - they do whatever seems survivable. Yes, I am a Churchill fan and will seek out the Langworth book.

Previously, when on a B2B cruise, one only had to attend to muster drill on the first segment of the cruise. However, after the Costa disaster off the coast of Italy, Regent now requires ALL PASSENGERS to attend the muster drill for each and every segment that one is on the cruise.

gnomie :)

My experience on Cunard was 3 years ago with crossings from NY to SH and return. We sat them out in the lounge over coffee. No one pressed us and several hundred others to head for the boat decks.

Arrrrrgh! And then there's that mean guy with an eye patch barking orders, walking around on a wooden leg, insanely swishing his sword in the air, and with the parrot sitting on his shoulder!

You and I must have been on the same ship. I remember him with the arm band and megaphone.

One Regent boat drill we were assigned to Signatures - but they didn't feed us.

I've never gotten an answer if the life boats have the same menu as CR!!

Bring a sandwich to the boat drill!

I have to say this is such a stupid thread. For anyone who has been in a life and death situation, you will thank god that at least you had some preparation ( no matter how lame it might seem to be) should something go wrong. If you think you don't need a life boat drill, come back and post how you feel when it saved your life! Several years ago I was in a highrise fire where 6 people died. We could not escape to the ground, they went to the roof (and died because the door was locked) and I went back to my apt. Some basic fire safety trainng saved my life... glad I paid attention when no one else did

I have to say this is such a stupid thread. For anyone who has been in a life and death situation, you will thank god that at least you had some preparation ( no matter how lame it might seem to be) should something go wrong. If you think you don't need a life boat drill, come back and post how you feel when it saved your life! Several years ago I was in a highrise fire where 6 people died. We could not escape to the ground, they went to the roof (and died because the door was locked) and I went back to my apt. Some basic fire safety trainng saved my life... glad I paid attention when no one else did

I'm glad your life was saved through fire safety training, Sunprince, and I think your example of why safety training is important is very clear. I buy your argument and I will attend November's boat drill primarily because it is required. Like you, I have stood and listened to crew instructions many times before and, except for seeing the location of my particular lifeboat, I doubt I will learn anything new. I really appreciate your responding to my question regarding boat drills and Regent Seven Seas. Jack

Edited by 2old4this

Sunprince - Please "lighten up" a bit. If we have a total ban on any humor whatsoever on these threads we'll only be left with discussions about Ebola! And just look where we're at on that, today! After 25 years in the Navy, I had my share of exercise (and actual "real life") man overboard drills, fire drills, Nuclear/biological agent drills, abandon ship drills, hostile boarding drills, and collision drills. Not to mention being shot at a few times.

Like Jack (2old4this), JPR, Ted, Gnomie1, and the others, I'm sure we all dutifully and promptly attend all required lifeboat drills and pay meticulous attention to all instructions. We already have one house mother on this board. I don't think we need anymore. Regards.

Sunprince - Please "lighten up" a bit. If we have a total ban on any humor whatsoever on these threads we'll only be left with discussions about Ebola! And just look where we're at on that, today! After 25 years in the Navy, I had my share of exercise (and actual "real life") man overboard drills, fire drills, Nuclear/biological agent drills, abandon ship drills, hostile boarding drills, and collision drills. Not to mention being shot at a few times.

Like Jack (2old4this), JPR, Ted, Gnomie1, and the others, I'm sure we all dutifully and promptly attend all required lifeboat drills and pay meticulous attention to all instructions. We already have one house mother on this board. I don't think we need anymore. Regards.

That's a bit hard.....

:eek:

Maybe hard, but also quite fair I think!

Once on Regent someone objected to attending the Muster Drill. Everything came to a halt. The passenger's suite number was called. And finally his name. He showed up rather sheepishly... and the crew re-commenced the drill. I hope he felt more than a little stupid.

It is my understanding that if you "miss" the drill that the cruise line is obligated, due to SOLAS, to remove the passenger(s) from the ship before sailing. I remember reading a thread somewhere on CC where this actually occurred.

30 - 45 mins of time spent on drill is not that much to ask is it?? Not sure why Cunard can make it optional, would have expected more from a line like them.

Being a former submariner and being involved in at sea emergencies, I can only say that drilling makes a difference. I know that if a real emergency happens that people will panic, but a number of people will remember what they need to do and that could make a significant difference to the crew who have to round up those who forget or react in a negative way. In my humble but experienced opinion.