6* vs 5* Cruises

babs135

Has anyone produced a price comparison guide for these cruises? I've often looked at similar itineraries with, for example Celebrity/Cunard et al, and then looked at Crystal, Regent, etc and the difference in price can appear to be huge.

I realise that the price for the latter ships includes just about everything you can think of, including shore excursions, but I'm curious as to how they compare with (what I will call) regular cruising.

the high end lines are for the more..discriminating.. consumer who wants a significantly personalized product . they tend to be on much smaller ships with a staff to pax ratio much higher. also the actual product tends to be higher quality( food options for instance, since the staff is only cooking for 200 they can do much better than trying to feed 2500. )

It isn't just a dollar for dollar comparison, it is a lot of the soft items that make a difference. The main reason I took a luxury cruise was due to the unique itineraries that just weren't possible on the mainstream lines. There are some drawbacks to the luxury IMHO, there isn't a huge variety of dining venues and the entertainment leaves something to be desired, especially if you are used to the big ships with Broadway shows, 10 dining venues, and endless bars.

Has anyone produced a price comparison guide for these cruises? I've often looked at similar itineraries with, for example Celebrity/Cunard et al, and then looked at Crystal, Regent, etc and the difference in price can appear to be huge.

I realise that the price for the latter ships includes just about everything you can think of, including shore excursions, but I'm curious as to how they compare with (what I will call) regular cruising.

Crystal, Regent, Seabourne, etc will be more expensive.....there's little question about that. Whether or not you think they are worth the increased price will depend on what you are looking for and what you value in cruising.

I greatly value the "all-inclusive" experience, regardless of whether or not I actually consume a great deal of the food/drink/experiences that I would pay extra for on another line. I also love good food, and the quality of food is (to my taste) much better. For some it's the service, or the public spaces. For some it's the quality of the amenities and activities. For some it's the itineraries. And some don't find them worth the extra money.

It is impossible to do a dollar for dollar comparison.

We cruise both mass market and the true luxury lines.

Some examples:

The passenger to crew ration is close to 1:1. You walk on the luxury line and you are handed a cool towel and a glass of champagne, and directed to the hors d'ouevres while you wait to check in. Within hours of boarding the entire crew knows your name and you beverage of choice. If you want a special beverage they will find it. I once asked for a certain beer while we were sailing the med. It was not on the ship, but the next day they went to the store and bough it. There are no tickets to sign. You don't pay for anything. Meals include as much wine or other beverages that you want. They almost all have private beach parties, or special parties on deck. They included water toys such as jet skis. Sitting by the pool? You get your sun glasses cleaned. They bring pass around snacks every afternoon pool side. Some leave cerain pantrys open so you can get snacks. It goes on and on.

These are just some of the things that come to mind. How do you put a value on these things?

The true luxury cruises lines are small, cater to their passengers every need, and are well worth every penny that you pay for them.

Edited by zqvol

The LUX lines include drinks - all restaurants - fab service in the price. Celebrity and Cunard are more premium lines (unless you book grill class on Cunard). What do you want from your cruise?