from ship to jack's shack, how long a walk?

SMSACE6

I have wanted to go here for so long......and will get there in October if all goes well in life. I love dogs, and poodles and poodle hybrid dogs, and would love to go there and see Topher! as well as have a bite to eat and one of their interestingly named drinks:D

I have a slight mobilty problem, but can make my way anywhere if I can find a spot to rest along the way, can walk 10 mins or more without resting. However walking in sand is somewhat difficult for more than a few minutes.

My question, is there a way to get to jack's shack without trudging through the sand? I would love to trudge through the sand but find it quite difficult now. Is

there a boardwalk or a sidewalk or street that is easy and safe to walk there?

And regardless if beach or street, how long of a walk would it be? Thank you for any info:)

Smsaces6 I would say put this up on carnival board maybe someone would help. But cruise critic will move this back here so I would check ever 5 mins to see if anyone wrote back on this. I am Sorry cruise critic but this is sometime the only way to get your question answer.

It's about a 20 minute walk along the sand to Jack's. There will be 3 other beach bars on the way so you could stop and rest.

Option 2 - Walk out from the cruise terminal and walk along the road, this route could take 30 minutes for slow walkers.

Option 3 - Take a cab.:)

It's about a 20 minute walk along the sand to Jack's. There will be 3 other beach bars on the way so you could stop and rest.

Option 2 - Walk out from the cruise terminal and walk along the road, this route could take 30 minutes for slow walkers.

That's an awfully slow walk (20 minutes)for most of us along the sand, but might be a good estimate for the OP. Jack's is maybe 500 yards or so from the cruise center.

But you don't need to go all the way to Jacks and if the tide is low you can walk most of the way along the firmer sand near the water.

And I don't think taxi will take you that short of a distance on the road. But you could ask. The turn to Jack's is just on the other side of the cruise port gates.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree 20 min is about avg. The sand is very loose and it is like walking in quick sand. Closer to the water is better bit still not an easy walk depending on your physical health. My elderly mom made it but had to stop along the way.

I was wondring if anyone has been to the other 3 beach bars that you mentioned? Could you tell me if they seemed similiar to Jacks? and would anyone recommend one over the other? We'll be there in October and I don't think Margaritaville will be our kind of thing so was looking to check out some other places instead.

Thank you all for the replies!

I appreciate all. I do think that I should make the 20 minute walk or so along the sand to Jack's shack. Last year I had a significant problem, but this year seems to be improved and I am doing my recommended exercised from physio as well as daily walks to maintain, or better to increase my distance mobility.

I will make it, even if I just sit down on the sand when I, or my back is tired. good also to know that I can get a taxi back to the cruise ship dock when I am ready:)

looking forward to my cruise and my visit to grand turk:)

Just saying and just an opinion ... but we didn't like Jack's Shack. No intention of returning.

Jack, his wife, and daughter were on the rude side ... like they were doing us a favor to serve us. :(

The dog was cute and friendly. :)

LuLu

Yes I have heard this before about the rudeness. Being a dog person, I am only planning on going to see Topher and having a drink of course:) Quick visit to see the dog/s and a drink and then Im off again. :) Getting my daily exercise will also be a plus (I think)

Edited by SMSACE6

We have been with my elderly in-laws and it was a rough walk for my mother-in-law who had knee issues. She was not happy by the time we got there. It might be worth it to catch a cab. Or, as someone else suggested, stop at some of the other bars on the way to rest and get a drink or snack.

I have difficulty walking long distances, but I always go to Jack's. I just walk slowly.

Last time we took a cab ($4 per person) and I might do that again next time.

I don't know about the rudeness of the owners, because I don't interact with them. I order the yummy food, have a drink and spend my time in that gorgeous water.

Isa65, thanks for the response. Did you walk along the sand? Was it the kind of sand that you sink up to your ankles in? or was it packed and hard to walk on? I to just walk slowly, and walk so far and then rest, even standing at rest helps with me. Same as when I walk my dog, when I cant continue, I just stop and stand a couple of mins, and then continue.

Anyway..I would do better on hard packed sand, rather than the sink up to the ankles kind:). Thanks also for the taxi info. I think I would like to walk there, then take a taxi back to port area. thanks again for the info.:)

We have been with my elderly in-laws and it was a rough walk for my mother-in-law who had knee issues. She was not happy by the time we got there. It might be worth it to catch a cab. Or, as someone else suggested, stop at some of the other bars on the way to rest and get a drink or snack.

Thanks for the response. I am late 50's, and my problem is more of a spine issue that affects my mobility. I am thinking that I will walk there, with a stop or two on the way for fuel:D Then I will take a cab back to port area.:) Thanks again for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

We walked the beach going to Jack's, then walked the road back to the port. One of our party has some knee problems but once she started walking in the wet part it was fine. As for being rude, we had a problem with how long it took to get my ox tails and the owner was very apologetic and supplied several of us with free shots of rum until the food arrived. I did not see the rudeness at all. I think part of it is cultural and part is just life... we all have good and bad days and when a ship pulls in their day goes from zero to one hundred in the blink of a eye. We all loved the dog digging plus a few other local dogs looking for handouts. All in all a great experience at Jack's!

Edited by cruisecat1965

Glad this was bumped since I am having to re-think all of my plans for our upcoming cruise!

What was anyone's experience with getting a taxi back from Jack's Shack after walking there?

My DS (13) will be having a bon e surgery in 2 weeks on his femur and while his Dr. says he should be fully recovered in 4 weeks, we will be in GT in 7. Trying to not change plans to to much, but also trying to prepare for the worst if needed!

TIA.

We used a taxi almost two years ago. When we got the taxi, we asked them to be back at a certain time, and they were. there were other people there that had walked, and they asked the taxi driver to come back for them. I saw the people on board the next day, and they said the taxi came right back for them. It worked really well.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone know what time Jacks opens? Our ship docks at 0700am

Our ship also docked at 7am and I made my kids get up and off the ship early as I was looking forward to going to Jack's Shack! We were the 1st people to arrive and they had someone out on the beach who set up our chairs and umbrella I want to say no later than 8ish! Have fun!