What to do with 3-days in Rome?

BBMacLaird

Colosseum and Forum - booked ahead with a guide so no queuing.

Vatican museum, again book a time ahead, so no queue - even better if you are willing to pay th extra, book a 'private' evening visit so you can see the Sistine chapel in peace and quiet.

Pantheon and surrounding area.

See the Victor Emmanuel (wedding cake) monument and its exhibits.

Book to see the Borghese gallery and then have a walk around the Borghese park ( or even a Segway tour of the park).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm interested to see what folks have done too! We end our Quest cruise there in 2017, and I'm wondering if 2 days will be enough to get a feel for he city, if we don't need a super heavy dose of the Vatican ( my brother in law , with a Doctrate in Sacred Theology, did the heavy dose, but I never got past 8 th grade CCD! ) I'm a little intimidated by these European city tourist colossi, (like the colliseum ;)) feels like a "beat the line" guide or tour would be the way to go!

Your guide is helpful Bonnie! Do you have one for Paris, I'm headed there this spring!?

Edited by Familygoboston

Bonnie's "36 hours in Rome" post is excellent! My daughter and I were in Rome for a week mid-May 2011 (she'd just finished a class on Roman Art, so the timing was great)-- we didn't encounter unbearable lines anywhere then. But there was a line to get into the Vatican art museum--- was maybe 30-40 minutes long. But if you only have a few days, sounds like going with guides, pre-booking or other ways to skip lines are definitely the way to go!!! We walked most places and also took taxis. Didn't try Rome's metro, it isn't very extensive or well connected, as every time they dig to try to extend it, new antiquities are found-- which stops the project. Rome is wonderful. Great people, fantastic sites and food. Enjoy!

Not much to add but having an espresso or capuccino somewhere in between. If you don't sit down and just drink it at the counter (like the romans do) its cheaper. Try a gelato close to the Pantheon. If you travel in fall have pasta or pizza "porcini", the mushrooms are delicious. Except of St. Peter we didn't encounter long lines, even at the colosseum we could walk in in about 10 min (late afternoon). Enjoy!

I'm interested to see what folks have done too! We end our Quest cruise there in 2017, and I'm wondering if 2 days will be enough to get a feel for he city, if we don't need a super heavy dose of the Vatican ( my brother in law , with a Doctrate in Sacred Theology, did the heavy dose, but I never got past 8 th grade CCD! ) I'm a little intimidated by these European city tourist colossi, (like the colliseum ;)) feels like a "beat the line" guide or tour would be the way to go!

Your guide is helpful Bonnie! Do you have one for Paris, I'm headed there this spring!?

Two days is enough to start with. My own view is if you haven't done the Vatican you'd be missing out if you skip it. There is no need to be big time into religion or theology to enjoy the architecture. Personally I wasn't enamoured at the Sistine Chapel. Too dark and too many people moving through to enjoy it. Some of the ceilings in the corridors on the way there are beautiful and the outdoor spaces very attractive.

My favourite building in Rome has to be the Pantheon. I just marvel at how old it is and the way that it was built. As others have mentioned, queuing can be an issue at many of the sites. If you are going then a Google search beforehand of "avoiding the lines in Rome" will bring up a lot of results and options and it's worthwhile.

Phil

I would add the "Bocca De la Verita or Mouth of Truth", if you have seen Roman holiday you will remember the scene, also worth watching all the nervous tourists.

Also, a lot of the main sites can be walked to and from but you will be tired at the end of the day.

Not much to add but having an espresso or capuccino somewhere in between. If you don't sit down and just drink it at the counter (like the romans do) its cheaper.

Remember that there are almost no public toilets in Rome. Customers of coffee shops, however, can use theirs for free. So you walk into a coffee shop and step up to the espresso bar and order a cup. One of you goes to the toilet. Drink slowly so that, by the time he or she returns, you can turn the cup over to him or her and go yourself. My wife never said she had to go to the bathroom, she would just say, "You need some coffee!"

BTW, I disagree with Phil. The first time we ever went to Rome we tried to do it in two days and we felt rushed and wound up not liking it. The second time, after we'd done all the top touristy things and had time to see some secondary sites and just generally relax (maybe even go to a coffee shop just for coffee:rolleyes:), we loved it. Now we're ready to go again. I think you need 3-4 days just to be able to see the things you think you need to see.

BTW, I disagree with Phil. The first time we ever went to Rome we tried to do it in two days and we felt rushed and wound up not liking it. The second time, after we'd done all the top touristy things and had time to see some secondary sites and just generally relax (maybe even go to a coffee shop just for coffee:rolleyes:), we loved it. Now we're ready to go again. I think you need 3-4 days just to be able to see the things you think you need to see.

On reflection you are right. Two days isn't a long time. First time for me was a couple of days and it was quite tiring, but a beautiful and ancient place. The country I live is old. Rome is truly old! For a couple of days pick out two places you'd really like to see and do them well. Don't try to do too much.

Phil

Two days is enough to start with. My own view is if you haven't done the Vatican you'd be missing out if you skip it. There is no need to be big time into religion or theology to enjoy the architecture. Personally I wasn't enamoured at the Sistine Chapel. Too dark and too many people moving through to enjoy it. Some of the ceilings in the corridors on the way there are beautiful and the outdoor spaces very attractive.

My favourite building in Rome has to be the Pantheon. I just marvel at how old it is and the way that it was built. As others have mentioned, queuing can be an issue at many of the sites. If you are going then a Google search beforehand of "avoiding the lines in Rome" will bring up a lot of results and options and it's worthwhile.

Phil

Thanks Phil! I think you are so right about not doing too much and focusing on what truly interests us.

Remember that there are almost no public toilets in Rome. Customers of coffee shops, however, can use theirs for free. So you walk into a coffee shop and step up to the espresso bar and order a cup. One of you goes to the toilet. Drink slowly so that, by the time he or she returns, you can turn the cup over to him or her and go yourself. My wife never said she had to go to the bathroom, she would just say, "You need some coffee!"

I agree that 2 days in any city isn't enough to really see all it has to offer! Ive had that feeling of disappointment in cities were we've done the rushed cattle call of "top sites" too! We won't have time to extend our trip, but after looking at Bonnie's blog, I am thinking we would rather do her "off the beaten path" or "return visit " itinerary over the crowd at the Vatican museums. Some of our biggest disappointments have been seeing "the" site (I'm thinking things like Mona Lisa at the louvre and the Blue Mosque) with so many other people that the whole experience wasn't worth it. Our private guide in Istanbul took us to other mosques which felt much more fufilling and authentic (and way less crowded) than the Blue Mosque.

I guess that's why I like the alternative "return visti" itineraries better! I'm feeling like I won't regret being able to tick a site off my bucket list if I have a great experience elsewhere in the city, even if it's for just a short time!

And thank you for the potty advice! Those practicalities are very important!

Rome has fabulous food. Eat and enjoy! Wander away from the major attractions and find lots of charming small cafes with good food and inexpensive prices.

Stay in the historic area and be prepared to walk. Smog levels often close streets from any cars or buses.

Transportation strikes and museums close often without notice. Never plan on taking any public transportation in Italy. They strike often. As much as taking the train from Rome to the ship will save you money, it often stops running.

My last trip we wandered into the Venetian Palace Museum. It was lovely.

I loved taking a Segway tour of the Borghese Gardens and a cooking class - both tours I found on viator and were super fun! I did these in addition to seeing the major sights. I loved the cooking class so much that each time I'm in Europe I have taken a class - so fun!!!! (So far Rome, Venice, Sorrento and I am taking a macaroon class in Paris this October).

Edited by 2specialkidsforme