Wifi Improvements

nordski

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I've been away from the forum enjoying the Azamara experience personally (Istanbul to Athens).

On two occasions, the LCV reception and White Night, Captain Magnus informed us that the Wifi system will be improved under the present refurbishment programme. Actually, he was quite excited about this change in his comments, and it appears to have been a priority both for the ship's staff as well as cruisers. Thus I complement Miami for listening.

My understanding is that initial improvements will be introduced on Journey in November and completed during the January drydock.

I am assuming plans have been introduced for Quest as well.

It was especially noteworthy to us, since a friend reported after a cruise in July that she, and the group she was in, were somewhat chagrined to be told no such upgrades were in place.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I've been away from the forum enjoying the Azamara experience personally (Istanbul to Athens).

On two occasions, the LCV reception and White Night, Captain Magnus informed us that the Wifi system will be improved under the present refurbishment programme. Actually, he was quite excited about this change in his comments, and it appears to have been a priority both for the ship's staff as well as cruisers. Thus I complement Miami for listening.

My understanding is that initial improvements will be introduced on Journey in November and completed during the January drydock.

I am assuming plans have been introduced for Quest as well.

It was especially noteworthy to us, since a friend reported after a cruise in July that she, and the group she was in, were somewhat chagrined to be told no such upgrades were in place.

Yes I heard that to and on the "reimagined" pages on Azamaras website it seemed to have a reveal box for technology changes.

Captain Carl seemed similarly excited on Quest.....fingers crossed....

That's good news. I really hope there are some improvements to the speed and also the introduction of more competitive pricing for unlimited packages. That's the thing that would really help. Carnival have announced a 90% price reduction in internet fees across their brands which of course includes Seabourn.

nordski, I hope you had a lovely cruise.

Phil

This would be a huge plus for me and I suspect most cruisers.

Even though I have free minutes as a LCV member, at the moment I tend to take my iPad ashore to take advantage of free wifi in cafes and restaurants. If the speed was improved and packages more competitively priced on board I wouldn't do this.

Yes I heard that to and on the "reimagined" pages on Azamaras website it seemed to have a reveal box for technology changes.

Captain Carl seemed similarly excited on Quest.....fingers crossed....

Thanks for the confirmation re:Quest.

And I have a personal thanks for you in Post 6 below.

Edited by nordski

That's good news. I really hope there are some improvements to the speed and also the introduction of more competitive pricing for unlimited packages. That's the thing that would really help. Carnival have announced a 90% price reduction in internet fees across their brands which of course includes Seabourn.

nordski, I hope you had a lovely cruise.

Phil

Agree on both your points concerning Internet.

As to your last comment. Thanks.

And if I told you we had a handsome allotment of internet minutes because of our N2 upgrade, you'll know that both you and uktog were very wise in another thread in suggesting patience re: said upgrade. Thanks to both of you for the wise counsel.

I'll have a few more comments to make concerning our experience.

And if I told you we had a handsome allotment of internet minutes because of our N2 upgrade, you'll know that both you and uktog were very wise in another thread in suggesting patience re: said upgrade. Thanks to both of you for the wise counsel.

That's great! Really glad they came through for you. I know you were disappointed that initially you missed out.

Phil

I'll have a few more comments to make concerning our experience.

Have also secured upgrade to N2 - how was it for you? Did the internet actually work away from shore? And how did the butler work?

Am on Journey in ONE WEEK and am more excited than describe!!:D

I would very much like to hear any comments you have re the cruise as a whole.

Have also secured upgrade to N2 - how was it for you? Did the internet actually work away from shore? And how did the butler work?

Am on Journey in ONE WEEK and am more excited than describe!!:D

I would very much like to hear any comments you have re the cruise as a whole.

Thanks for the questions.

I'll respond to the internet question here, and will hope to answer your other questions in a separate thread to keep this topic focused. However, in a nutshell, I'd say you have every reason to be excited.

The Internet worked not badly both at ports and away from shore. However, we used it at times when we expected light loads such as early morning (around 6:30 a.m.), when most people were on shore excursions during the day, and after we dined (around 7:30 p.m.) when most were still in the MDR.

During those times, at the least, the download speeds in our stateroom (8071) were adequate but certainly not "high speed".

The greater problem occurred, naturally, if I had to upload work to respond to my responsibilities at home. If there were bulky files, I walked up to the Internet centre and that seemed to help at least psychologically :). I knew then that I wasn't accessing a router in our hall that might be under some strain.

My understanding is that the central system will be upgraded in November and the routers etc. during drydock. But that is only what I gleaned from Captain Magnus's speeches and my interpretation of them may be muddled.

I do sometimes have to deal with work issues onboard and while I value the free minutes due to my LCV tier, I would very much appreciate quicker access and of course, more free minutes or at least a package at reasonable cost.

Nordski....so glad you got your upgrade after all and like Phil, I hope you had a lovely cruise. Looking forward to a review perhaps?

Carfla.....see you onboard. I am "beyond excited" too and I have done lots of AZ cruises! :D

Hi Everyone,

Glad to hear about the liklihood of a much improved internet for Azamara's shps. I too, must stay in touch with my office constantly - so I'm very hopeful this will come to reality.

Agree with Uktog and others, that additional minutes, and/or reduced pricing would be a wonderful development. On Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas, they charge something like $125.00 for a 7 day Cruise, for UNLIMITED internet. There's additional discounts for upper loyalty levels. I believe I paid like $90 or $100 for the week, with my Diamond discount. Not only was the internet fast as lightning with virtually no hiccups.... but the price was extremely fair.

Let's hope Azamara will offer similiar offerings.

Improved band width and lower prices seems to be the trend. This is also something very important to us. DH is completely hooked on the internet as it is his major way to relax. I find myself putting off necessary usage on board ships because of the slow speed and cost. It's a total necessity when one is away from home for a while and when one is keeping on top of a complicated travel itinerary.

I'm currently on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas in the middle of the Atlantic with 20 foot swells and fast internet. Unlimited access for this 12 night crossing is $15 a day with two days free with my Crown and Anchor discount. I can dream for Azamara......

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I reach out to Bonnie to ask what improvement we can expect on Quest in AU/NZ in January vs. what we experienced in 2014 in the Baltics? Granted the internet was very poor and at times not operational in St Petersburg.

We swore we would not do another Azamara cruise until internet was upgraded and we were told an upgrade was scheduled in fall of 2014, when we scheduled Jan 16 trip. With the wait list almost 1/4 the the ship's capacity, we knew we wouldn't get any relief if we opted to cancel this trip.

What is the N2 Upgrade package as we are in N2?

I reach out to Bonnie to ask what improvement we can expect on Quest in AU/NZ in January vs. what we experienced in 2014 in the Baltics? Granted the internet was very poor and at times not operational in St Petersburg.

We swore we would not do another Azamara cruise until internet was upgraded and we were told an upgrade was scheduled in fall of 2014, when we scheduled Jan 16 trip. With the wait list almost 1/4 the the ship's capacity, we knew we wouldn't get any relief if we opted to cancel this trip.

What is the N2 Upgrade package as we are in N2?

Hi bchttravlr, I believe the announcement re. Our ship upgrades to technology is not far off.

As for N2 Suite benefits:

English butler service

235 complimentary Internet minutes, per guest

One free bag of laundry service per suite, each seven days

Complimentary seating in specialty restaurants

Afternoon tea service in-suite

Coming in 2016: Guests in Club World Owner’s and Club Ocean suites may choose a complimentary Insider AccessSM or Nights & Cool PlacesSM Land Discoveries® excursion

You can find more here:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/suites

We have been on many cruises. We were on the Crystal Serenity in September and the wifi was fabulous. There were packages to buy but the cruise ship gave you an hour a day for free at fast speed.

The hardest part about being gone for a long time is the communications that we all need on a daily basis. I'm glad that the ships are adding this to their cruises. That is what makes longer cruising more appealing. Easier to relax and check in to make sure all is well.