Key West Hotels?

BlueHerons

Go to 'Hotels.com" and find out about ALL the hotels there....don't book thru them, just use it as a guide. When you find a hotel that suits you, google them for their phone number, and call them...they sometimes will have unadvertised specials...I get the best deals that way!! After they quote you a price, ASK about any "specials" they may be running!!

Edited by cb at sea

January rates are among the highest of the year in Key West because of the wonderful weather. It is considered to be high season. That may limit your choices.

Are you driving to Key West or flying in? That may also impact your choice. When we are bargain hunting in the Keys, we often stay at the DoubleTree, but it is quite far from downtown (Old Town, as it is known) and you will need transport. It is out near the airport.

The DoubleTree does have a van that runs round trips much of the day and night. I'm not sure if there is a small fee for the service because we do drive to Key West .

If you are driving, check and make sure the hotel has parking. Also, those that do offer parking, often charge a hefty daily fee to park. If so, try to negotiate a better charge or maybe you can get them to drop the fee.

Good luck with your birthday weekend. Have a great time.

Yes, I understand how the search sites work. I was hoping someone used a particular hotel.

We live in South Florida. We'll be driving in.

I'm not looking for a bargain as much as I'm looking for a cool place to stay.

Knowing these places, I think one may fit the bill for you.

www.marquesa.com www.gardenshotel.com

Both are exceptionally well run properties and you won't go wrong with either. Both are also within walking distance to most everything in Old Town.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

I almost always stay at the Pier House, 1 Duval Street. It has a small beach and a nice beach-side bar and restaurant and you might be able to get away with a Garden View room for your budget. The second floor rooms in the 420 - 440 range are nice with a small balcony and either a big, king-sized bed or two queen-sized. The rooms on the lower floor have a small patio instead.

http://www.pierhouse.com

Pjk

Looking for a hotel in Key West that is quirky but nice for a weekend in January.

Would like to keep it around $300 per night.

This is for a girlfriend's birthday.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, I understand how the search sites work. I was hoping someone used a particular hotel.

We live in South Florida. We'll be driving in.

I'm not looking for a bargain as much as I'm looking for a cool place to stay.

Key West is the place to be for nice, quirky hotels. My first piece of advice is to avoid the large hotels. The waterfront Hyatt, Westin, Pier House, Galleon, etc....they're nothing but large tourist traps. Doubletree is nice, but is far away from all the action and not walkable to downtown.

The 2 Mike suggested (bhopal) are good suggestions. Also, check out the Banyan Resort. It is located on Whitehead St 1 block off Duval. Here is their website:

http://www.thebanyanresort.com/

La Te Da is another interesting one. Attached is a good restaurant, nice outdoor bar that serves great martinis, and there is live music on the weekends.

http://lateda.com/

Or, here is a brand new resort that just opened. It is in a great location and everything is walkable. I checked it out this past weekend and it is really nice.

http://www.themarkerkeywest.com/

I agree with the prior posts about avoiding the resorts. There is nothing quirky about The Pier House and the new owners have raised rates and continue to make the hotel more and more corporate. The beach is tiny as you can see from the photos above, and is on the harbor side of the island, which I think makes the cleanliness of the water questionable due to all the boat traffic.

In addition to the B&Bs suggested above, I would suggest Orchid Key.

• 1 month later...