observed dress code

stereo

Hi all--Just got off the Millie from Vancouver to Seward---This is not a review --just want to tell what I observed as an evening dress code---- for gentlemen--smart casual--from jeans and a tee shirt to a sport jacket--teen age boys wore shorts as did many women--formal night--teen age boys wore jeans and tee shirts--men wore jeans and tee shirts and slacks and sport coats and maybe two or three in tuxedos and or suits-many women wore jeans and a nice top-all kind of shoes worn by men and women--at lunch in the lido buffet--women and men came in in bathrobes---this was Alaska--

We just returned from the 8/17 sailing of the Summit, and I observed that most people, including the 500 children onboard, respected the dress code. We did not see any shorts, tees, flip-flops, etc, in the MDR, and on formal night, just about everyone made an effort to dress up nicely.

I wish they would either enforce the dress code or just get rid of it. What's the point of a dress code if people wear anything they want?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree! My preference would be for them to enforce it as it is written, but short of that just get rid of it. I have always been an advocate of the the statement of " don't make a rule unless you are prepared to enforce it". I wish that someone would start a poll and see the opinion of other Celebrity loyalists and then forward that to the suits.

Just on the issue of bathrobes. I was reading a newspaper review of the Solstice recently in which the reviewer (a first-time cruiser) actually encouraged the wearing of bathrobes outside her cabin and cited it as an example of Celebrity's relaxed ambiance. Admittedly she wasn't talking about wearing it to the buffet but those reading would come to the conclusion that it was a common and accepted thing.

Personally I have no problem with it but I know it offends some. However, I've never seen or heard of anyone being admonished for this "faux pas" so I guess it's now part of the "observed" dress code.

Interesting to hear, and disconcerting as well. Come on, Celebrity, get your act together:). Either enforce the darn dress code (which I personally hope they do) or get rid of it. It should not be a crap shoot ship to ship. I myself have never seen the dress code as relaxed as described by the OP in 25+ cruises on X (just an observation, not saying it was not as written).

I don't think there will be a change regarding the dress code, because Celebrity wants to please those who like to be formal and those who don't.

If you prefer formality, I suggest you take a cruise out of Southampton.

We were on the Baltic cruise this summer, and formal night, the mdr was a sea of tuxes, most of the wearers coming from the British Isles and Ireland. There were even women wearing cocktail dresses on smart casual nights.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I am another fan of the Dress Code (as written). For us it makes the cruise a special vacation (lol, and Romantic). And something different from our day to day life ashore.

As for the Bathrobes... I am ok with them around The Spa, Pools, and people Enroute. But in a Dining Space for Breakfast or Lunch.. Uh no !!

This isn't the family cottage or summer camp... People need to put on proper clothes when they dine with others.

Cheers!

I am another fan of the Dress Code (as written). For us it makes the cruise a special vacation (lol, and Romantic). And something different from our day to day life ashore.

As for the Bathrobes... I am ok with them around The Spa, Pools, and people Enroute. But in a Dining Space for Breakfast or Lunch.. Uh no !!

This isn't the family cottage or summer camp... People need to put on proper clothes when they dine with others.

Cheers!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I completely agree, 100%.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

We sailed on the 7/25 Millennium cruise, Seward to Vancouver, and did not see too many guests not observing the dress code. There were very few tuxes & gowns but most men had on at least a sports coat and the women had cocktail dresses or pants/skirts & fancy tops on formal night. Casual night was casual but again did not see too many dining in shorts & T's. We ate in Blu or the specialty restaurants but spent a good amount of time at Cellar Masters having wine so saw many diners entering select dining.

Mary Lou

Hi all--Just got off the Millie from Vancouver to Seward---This is not a review --just want to tell what I observed as an evening dress code---- for gentlemen--smart casual--from jeans and a tee shirt to a sport jacket--teen age boys wore shorts as did many women--formal night--teen age boys wore jeans and tee shirts--men wore jeans and tee shirts and slacks and sport coats and maybe two or three in tuxedos and or suits-many women wore jeans and a nice top-all kind of shoes worn by men and women--at lunch in the lido buffet--women and men came in in bathrobes---this was Alaska--

:confused:

We sailed on the 7/25 Millennium cruise, Seward to Vancouver, and did not see too many guests not observing the dress code. There were very few tuxes & gowns but most men had on at least a sports coat and the women had cocktail dresses or pants/skirts & fancy tops on formal night. Casual night was casual but again did not see too many dining in shorts & T's. We ate in Blu or the specialty restaurants but spent a good amount of time at Cellar Masters having wine so saw many diners entering select dining.

Mary Lou

Was that a sports coat with or without a tie on formal night? Thanks

Now I am not trying to be controversial here but it seems to me that the individuals who try to flaunt dress codes or do not appear to enjoy dressing for dinner are largely American .

So here's my suggestion ; why not relax or do away with dress codes on cruises sailing out of the US and retain it on the ships sailing from the UK ?

Certainly on the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton 3 weeks ago virtually everyone followed the codes and made an effort . There is always the odd one of course .....

:):):)

We just returned from the 8/17 sailing of the Summit, and I observed that most people, including the 500 children onboard, respected the dress code. We did not see any shorts, tees, flip-flops, etc, in the MDR, and on formal night, just about everyone made an effort to dress up nicely.

Same on the 8/10 summit sailing.

Cheers!

Couldn't agree more - I think this is appalling manners and shows no respect for anyone else on the ship. You wouldn't expect to see anyone in a bathrobe having breakfast in a hotel so why do people think they can inflict themselves on others just because it is a cruise. Sorry, it drives me nuts. Finding a pair of shorts, a t shirt, sundress or anything like that etc can't be that difficult !!!! :mad:

Now I am not trying to be controversial here but it seems to me that the individuals who try to flaunt dress codes or do not appear to enjoy dressing for dinner are largely American .

So here's my suggestion ; why not relax or do away with dress codes on cruises sailing out of the US and retain it on the ships sailing from the UK ?

Certainly on the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton 3 weeks ago virtually everyone followed the codes and made an effort . There is always the odd one of course .....

:):):)

I think Americans in general tend to be more casual in dress, but I am not sure I agree with your first statement regardless of that fact. If you read some of the long and contentious dress code threads, you will see many Americans who favor the dress code as is (and I am one). Onboard, unless you actually meet and talk with the people, I am not sure how you know they are Americans or not? There are plenty of cruise choices out there where casual is king. It would be nice if Celebrity kept the formal option alive and well for those who prefer it.

Was that a sports coat with or without a tie on formal night? Thanks

My DH wore a navy blazer and tie. I wore a cocktail dress. I didn't pay close attention to the guys to see if they were wearing ties but I suspect many were.

Mary Lou

be careful what you wish for, we were on the Reflection in April and there were a group of middle aged women, who roamed the ship, wearing two piece bikini's that were 4 sizes too small, there was more hanging out than was kept in. Saw them at muster drill, sunset deck and in a lounge. let me tell you the bath robe would have been an improvement.

Accent usually gives it away mate . That plus the loud shorts , baseball cap , double cheese burger and knee length white socks with sandals !

Only joking of course .... :D:D

Good on you if you are one of the majority who still prefer to look smart when you are on a 4/5 star ship .

Ties are not required by Celebrity... Any night.

Cheers!

Now I can get DH to sail on Celebrity. I really want to try a Solstice Class and we are Elite, as we are D+ on RCI, so we would get some nice perks. DD & SIL had a great time on Eclipse in 2011.

My DH wore a navy blazer and tie. I wore a cocktail dress. I didn't pay close attention to the guys to see if they were wearing ties but I suspect many were.

Mary Lou

He will be OK even if most guys have ties and I can enjoy wearing my cocktail pants with a sparkly or lace top.