New Noro question

Jules59

I've been searching for this, but can't find the right answer. If you are off the cruise ship on an excursion, what is the best way to clean your hands to prevent norovirus? I know washing your hands thoroughly is best, but what if it's been awhile since you've had access to soap and water? 2 things I found on Amazon for a hand sanitizer where - Germstar Noro hand sanitizer and Clorox anywhere hand sanitizer. Any ideas? I know this has been gone over many times, but I can't find an answer. Thanks.

I've been searching for this, but can't find the right answer. If you are off the cruise ship on an excursion, what is the best way to clean your hands to prevent norovirus? I know washing your hands thoroughly is best, but what if it's been awhile since you've had access to soap and water? 2 things I found on Amazon for a hand sanitizer where - Germstar Noro hand sanitizer and Clorox anywhere hand sanitizer. Any ideas? I know this has been gone over many times, but I can't find an answer. Thanks.

Odd...I had the same problem doing a search for this...I get an error when looking for norovirus, virus, etc. Things that make me go hmmmmmm

The best thing to do is to keep your hands away from your face....this works for noro, colds, flu and a plethora of other things!

Hand sanitizer aren't the be-all people think they are, and many don't have any effect on noro.

While germs are out there, your body has built in immunities. Be careful, but don't obsess over germs.

FYI...if the bed skirt is missing from your cabin bed...there has been an outbreak.

Hi,

I have seen advertizing for Monk wipes - http://www.monkdisinfectantwipes.com/monk_disinfectant_wipes.html

Amazon got them ........ but I think that they are not to be used on skin. Probably the chemicals that might kill the strong virus are not good for the skin ..... I am just guessing.

I guess,the only option - if washing hands is not available - would be gloves ......

This is interesting. I've never heard this before. What is the connection between the two?

They have to sanitize EVERTHING...throw pillows, ice bucket, bed skirt, etc.

I do remember being told Gold Bond hand sanitizer works best. It has an ingredient begins with benze... (can't recall the full name). AND I ALWAYS bring a ziplock baggie for the TV remote. The remote is one of the dirtiest items in your room. Yes, it works fine even when placed in a baggie.

Agree with sail7seas. We also never, ever touch our faces until we are back in our suite and then use soap and hot water. We do use the sanitizer when reboarding after an excursion and also before entering a dining area. We also carry sanitizer wipes. Seems kind of extreme but it is miserable if you are exposed to a virus onboard. We also always have our docs prescribe an antibiotic that will deal with this if necessary.

These might be something to keep on hand while on cruises~

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

have never used then but would probably be better than your standard hand sanitizer that you get at the store~

Another thing you can do while on the ship is not touch the hand rails or buttons in the elevator~ I usually have a hoodie on since the ship is kinda cold so if I touch the hand rail while using the stairs, I always cover my hand with my sleeve, and when I use the elevator I use my knuckle~ and then wash or use the hand sanitizer provided if I happen to touch those surfaces~

Edited by Alliezona09

Even if your hands get dirty, as long as you don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth, you'll be fine. The virus doesn't go through your skin...you have to introduce it into your system!

So, if you can't wash up, just don't touch your face! Takes some thought, but you can control your hands actions!

Wow. Didn't except so many replies while I was away from my computer. Thank you all. But has anyone heard of the 2 hand sanitizers that I mentioned? Anyways, thanks for all of your comments.Just wondering if any are better that the other. Other than warm water and soap.

Edited by Jules59
Not done.

Even if your hands get dirty, as long as you don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth, you'll be fine. The virus doesn't go through your skin...you have to introduce it into your system!

So, if you can't wash up, just don't touch your face! Takes some thought, but you can control your hands actions!

The average person touches their face 3-5 times a minute. :eek:

Odd...I had the same problem doing a search for this...I get an error when looking for norovirus, virus, etc. Things that make me go hmmmmmm

Search for "Norwalk" virus. Also anti-bacterials don't work, since it's a virus. You just need to rub your hands vigorously with water, soap doesn't matter-you are trying to scrub the stuff off your hands.

I carry housecleaning wipes with bleach, wash my hands every chance I get (even if I don't need to 'go'), and pay attention to how often my hands drift up to my face.

Also, I think it is a very good idea to keep yourself as healthy as possible, I think starting at a high level helps fight off viruses/bacterial/etc. So, if you usually take a multivitamin, bring them along and remember to take them; try to keep the meat/veggie/starch/dessert balance you eat close to what your body is used to; aim for quality and your usual quantity of sleep.