What to do in Warnemunde??

We are not taking the excursion into Berlin when we get to Warnemunde so does anyone have any suggestions of what to do? Is there a train to Rostock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the station is 5 min walk from cruise terminal.

Trains every 15 mins Euro1.80 single train journey takes 20-25 mins, further info from Rick Steves book, Northern European Cruise Ports, excellent for about USD18

Edited by SWORRUB1

The town itself is pretty and has a nice beach and some pretty shops. The train station by the quay takes you to Roscoff which has some interesting parts. You can take a boat back along the river but some report it as uninteresting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,

This thread will no doubt get moved to the Ports Section, where you'll get some great suggestions.

As stated, the train station is right near the dock area…We took the train to Rostock, and then on to Schwerin…visited the castle, some shopping, site seeing, lunch at a cafe…had a great time.

Then returned to Warnemunde…walked out to the beach, waded in the COLD water…talked to local folks, watch all the goings-on…then lots of bars/cafes lining the main street where we enjoyed GREAT German beers !! Was a wonderful day…and a wonderful time !

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Hey, we went there last year. As others have said you can go to Rostock by train. It's really easy to work out and the train station, you will be able to see from the ship.

To be honest we regretted going to Rostock. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of shopping but is like every other European City. When we returned to Warnemunde we were gutted that we didn't have more time to enjoy such a quaint little village. There are lots of bars along the river too if you enjoy people watching. We left ourselves no time to enjoy this.

We went by bus to Bad Doberan and rode the Molli steam train through the streets to Kuhlungsborn. Walked along the beach and had lunch. Back on the steam train to Bad Doberan and got the 'normal' train to Rostock, then tram into town and explored. Finally tram and train back to Warnemunde. A great day out for €20 each (plus lunch!). Drop me an e mail if you want to know how to do it.

Simon

This thread will no doubt get moved to the Ports Section, where you'll get some great suggestions.

Agreed. Here's a link to the Baltics Ports of Call board where the OP can repost and get a wealth of feedback (in addition to what's been posted here already) Good luck! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Edited by BEAV

Two years ago we did a private tour with STP tours. There was 6 of us and we walked thru W and then took a train to Rostock. Tour guide was great and tour was great. We used the same tour company in St Petersburg. That was just as outstanding. Go on line to book and price was right.

I was there last year. We just walked around the town. It is a nice way to spend the day. It is sooooo cute. Nice shops and on the main street there was an outdoor café that had good food. You get the feel of the small village and the people are real friendly. I believe you can even rent bicycles.

I was there last year. We just walked around the town. It is a nice way to spend the day. It is sooooo cute. Nice shops and on the main street there was an outdoor café that had good food. You get the feel of the small village and the people are real friendly. I believe you can even rent bicycles.

We were in Berlin last year for 4 days so we were planning on sticking with taking the train to Rostock in the morning and then kicking around Warnemunde in the afternoon. But, if we could find bike rentals in Warnemunde we might just stick around there.

Anyone have specifics on bike rentals in Warnemunde? A g....gle search didn't come up with anything specific or recent.

Rostock was part of east Germany and we found it very interesting learning about how it was under the Communists. We went there in the morning on a tour. Tour is not necessary to get there but as I said we like learning from guides. Warnemunde we enjoyed walking around in the afternoon.

We are not taking the excursion into Berlin when we get to Warnemunde so does anyone have any suggestions of what to do? Is there a train to Rostock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you like to sit around and watch paint dry?

No, I'm just kidding, of course, but really, Warnemunde isn't the most exciting town you will be visiting. Most cruisers opt to go some where else. if not Berlin, then Rostock, Schwerin, or any of several other places that are popular in the region. Warnemunde itself, maybe you could spend a few hours wandering around, and head towards the beach area. It is basically one main street, with several nice shops and places to eat or drink. If that's your thing, you'll have a ball. But the people are very friendly, though many of the 'older' folks do not speak any English.

Cheers

Len

We did a segway tour in Warnemunde and it was fantastic. He took us all over the town, down the back streets to see the local farms and houses and then through a gorgeous walking path in the forest that overlooks the ocean. We saw more of that town than anyone else on our ship and it was one of our favorite days other than SPB. We didn't pre book or anything. Just walked across the street from the ship where we saw a sign for segway tours, jumped on a segway and got our own private tour of the town. If this is something you are physically able to do, I strongly recommend it.

We did a segway tour in Warnemunde and it was fantastic. He took us all over the town, down the back streets to see the local farms and houses and then through a gorgeous walking path in the forest that overlooks the ocean. We saw more of that town than anyone else on our ship and it was one of our favorite days other than SPB. We didn't pre book or anything. Just walked across the street from the ship where we saw a sign for segway tours, jumped on a segway and got our own private tour of the town. If this is something you are physically able to do, I strongly recommend it.

Wow that sounds great. Would love to have done that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did a Hansa tour with Friends of Dave --fabulous day and food. http://www.friendsofdavetours.com/Warnemunde_Port_Tours.php

This talks a lot about what you will see in Wismar http://modestine4.blogspot.com/2008/09/kuhlungsborn-and-wismar.html We had lunch at the Brewhouse in the photograph.

Edited by Alaskanb

How long ago had you done this Segway tour? Do they have a website? That sounds fun. Currently our plans are to get to Bad Doberan and take the Molli train then back to Warnemunde. Doing the Segway would be fun later in the day.

Hi,

As stated, the train station is right near the dock area…We took the train to Rostock, and then on to Schwerin…visited the castle, some shopping, site seeing, lunch at a cafe…had a great time.

Then returned to Warnemunde…walked out to the beach, waded in the COLD water…talked to local folks, watch all the goings-on…then lots of bars/cafes lining the main street where we enjoyed GREAT German beers !! Was a wonderful day…and a wonderful time !

Enjoy

Woody

We also went to Rostock and then on to Scherwin, which was our favorite. Beautiful town and castle.

How long ago had you done this Segway tour? Do they have a website? That sounds fun. Currently our plans are to get to Bad Doberan and take the Molli train then back to Warnemunde. Doing the Segway would be fun later in the day.

A quick google came up with this

http://www.regiondo.com/segway-tour-in-rostock-warnemuende-baltic-sea-experience?calendar=1&utm_expid=40563540-18.KQthwgg-QueA-OCMRR7RBg.1

If you can't segway there, I can highly recommend the segway tour in Copenhagen

http://tourscph.com/

Simon

A quick google came up with this

http://www.regiondo.com/segway-tour-in-rostock-warnemuende-baltic-sea-experience?calendar=1&utm_expid=40563540-18.KQthwgg-QueA-OCMRR7RBg.1

If you can't segway there, I can highly recommend the segway tour in Copenhagen

http://tourscph.com/

Simon

I actually looked at one of the pics of us on our segway tour and this is what is on the back of the guide's shirt. http://www.captain-seg.de. We actually spotted him from the ship while having breakfast and he was just across the street from the ship in a small building on a rental car lot. We saw him ride in there on his segway and walked over and found that it was a segway tour guide. He was very nice and took me and my husband on about a 1.5 hour tour. This was two years ago an I imagine they're still there.

This is what we did last year. It's compiled from the Schwerin tourism site, cruise critic postings and google. Schwerin was a great day. We had lunch in a restaurant next to Lake Pfaffenteich (far corner from the train station). It looked like a white Victorian house. The schnitzel was awesome. They have one English menu. After the castle and gardens we found a little bar/restaurant across the lake to have a "beer sit" and admire the castle. We got back to Warnemunde in time to walk along the marina and see the shops.

SchwerinWalk.xls