food on SPB tours

SparkleBee

trying to decide between Alla, TJ, and SPB Tours. they all have rave reviews, have nearly identical itineraries and prices. SO, I was wondering if there is a difference in the food served for lunches. Alla gives one packed lunch (to allow extra time in the park) but the other two have two lunches in restaurants. SPB lunches are pre-determined and I suspect TJ's are also. Can anyone comment on what they were served and if it was good? I need something to differentiate these companies! thank you for your help.

trying to decide between Alla, TJ, and SPB Tours. they all have rave reviews, have nearly identical itineraries and prices. SO, I was wondering if there is a difference in the food served for lunches. Alla gives one packed lunch (to allow extra time in the park) but the other two have two lunches in restaurants. SPB lunches are pre-determined and I suspect TJ's are also. Can anyone comment on what they were served and if it was good? I need something to differentiate these companies! thank you for your help.

We were on SPB's Deluxe 2 day tour last year. The first day we dined at a restaurant near the Peterof Palace. The restaurant had been reserved for tour groups. I don't know if they were all SPB tours or not. It was a set menu with essentially no choices. We were served borscht to start, followed by beef stroganoff. An apple crepe was served as dessert. A juice was served, and coffee or tea was offered with dessert. There were no other choices. Very much like a banquet. The food was OK. Nothing special, and not much of a local ambiance since the restaurant was entirely occupied by tour groups.

The second day we went to the famous "pie place".

http://www.stolle.ru/en/en.php

This is in the center of St Petersburg with more of a local feel. The restaurant was probably 75% tourists and 25% locals. You are offered a choice of 2 pie slices, one savory and the other sweet. Choice of beverages. The pies were good, but nothing really special. It is a unique venue and very casual. Sort of a pub atmosphere.

While it was nice to have a break in the middle of these two hectic days, the first lunch in particular fell short of my expectations. I have read other reviews of SPB tours, and most everyone seems to be taken to Stolle. However, the second lunch spot seems to vary.

Well to be truthful about it, I wouldn't mind a stop at a local Russian McDonald's which is my m.o. in most places where this very picky eater (me) is afraid to sample local cuisine. At least, I would know, I could go up to the counter, ask for a royal cheeseburger (which we in the USA know as a quarter pounder with cheese), fries and a coke (probably a set meal) and have some idea of what I'm eating (McDonald's is one of the few companies I trust to make sure their beef meets certain international standards and with few exceptions, and I've sampled Mickey D in such places as the Netherlands, Great Britain, Poland and the Czech Republic and the food tasted identical to what I could get a home and it was always sort of fun to see these places jammed but I mean jammed with locals. I would love to see what a local in St. Petersburg McDonald's looks like. But of course, the tours have to serve to the lowest common denominator and I read on the Alla blog, the meal entrees on the comfort tour (the deluse tour has the packaged lunch in Peterhof) will hae an entre of, surprise surprise, chicken or turkey...

We have toured with both companies, Alla in 2010 and SPB last year. Alla took us to a more local restaurant but the meal was "fixed", chicken with rice, salad and I don't remember the desert. Tea was also served. We did see more locals there then tourists. The boxed lunch was good, blinis (cheese and chicken filled crape served cold), boxed juice drink, an apple and a candy bar. We ate this on the bus between sites. Not easy to do in a bus seat but it worked.

With SPB the first lunch was at the new hotel near Peterhof and it was as described in the previous post. I know people complain but, hey, it's included in the tour and did the trick. It was nice to sit down after walking at Peterhof. The second day we went to Stolle, the "pie place". That was VERY nice and there were lots of locals eating there. It's their version of "fast food". Most looked like they had been out shopping and stopped in for a bite to eat. We even talked a little with people sitting next to us as one of them spoke some English.

Just my "two cents"

<<<Karen>>>

Last September we did a 2 day tour with Alla, but we ate in a restaurant on both days in the centre of SPB. They were both small restaurants and I think probably, coincidentally, we had the same meal on both days which was Borscht, beef stroganoff and apple crepe. We were also served water and tea or coffee.

I thought the meal on the second day was better, but I make a far superior beef stroganoff. I don't think these meals are supposed to be a gourmet experience. As all the companies do almost identical tours and charge the same I would just book whichever I thought suited me best. I certainly wouldn't base my choice on a quick tour lunch.

Well to be truthful about it, I wouldn't mind a stop at a local Russian McDonald's which is my m.o. in most places where this very picky eater (me) is afraid to sample local cuisine. At least, I would know, I could go up to the counter, ask for a royal cheeseburger (which we in the USA know as a quarter pounder with cheese), fries and a coke (probably a set meal) and have some idea of what I'm eating (McDonald's is one of the few companies I trust to make sure their beef meets certain international standards and with few exceptions, and I've sampled Mickey D in such places as the Netherlands, Great Britain, Poland and the Czech Republic and the food tasted identical to what I could get a home and it was always sort of fun to see these places jammed but I mean jammed with locals. I would love to see what a local in St. Petersburg McDonald's looks like. But of course, the tours have to serve to the lowest common denominator and I read on the Alla blog, the meal entrees on the comfort tour (the deluse tour has the packaged lunch in Peterhof) will hae an entre of, surprise surprise, chicken or turkey...

Well, here you go although I would not be sure the food is identical to that in the US. In Istanbul the Big Macs were made with ground lamb.

DSCN0694.JPG?gl=US

Well, here you go although I would not be sure the food is identical to that in the US. In Istanbul the Big Macs were made with ground lamb.

DSCN0694.JPG?gl=US

Boy look how crowded the place is! Wonder if most of them are locals. Incidentally, although it may have been eclipsed recently, for years the McDonald's in Moscow across from Red Square or whatever it is called now had the distinction of being the largest one in the world.

Last September we did a 2 day tour with Alla, but we ate in a restaurant on both days in the centre of SPB. They were both small restaurants and I think probably, coincidentally, we had the same meal on both days which was Borscht, beef stroganoff and apple crepe. We were also served water and tea or coffee.

I thought the meal on the second day was better, but I make a far superior beef stroganoff. I don't think these meals are supposed to be a gourmet experience. As all the companies do almost identical tours and charge the same I would just book whichever I thought suited me best. I certainly wouldn't base my choice on a quick tour lunch.

I'm leaning toward the Alla "comfort tour" with lunch stops. Think a break and a bit of rest appeals to me more eating on a bus or boat. Even if the meal is just OK still think it would be better than an apple, candy bar, juice box and whatever.

We chose SPB mainly for the two sit down lunches. The restaurant near Peterhof was very disappointing. The water tasted bad, the stroganoff was mediocre, servings were small, and the dessert was just a scoop of ice cream. We were supposed to have borscht, but got chicken noodle soup instead. There was nothing uniquely local or especially tasty. It was standard banquet cuisine.

The pierogi place, on the other hand, was great. The food was good, and there were lots of locals eating there. I felt like we had an authentic Russian lunch there.

We toured with SPB and enjoyed the eating in the restaurant very much. Yes the food is pre determined, but we are vegetarians and we told them that, so we ended up with some white fish which wasn't too bad. Don't quote me, but if you rather not eat warmed over beef stroganoff, try that suggestion and see if it works. They usually bend over backwards to help you.

We have eaten borscht many times, but it was American version of what they think borscht should be. When we had real Russian borscht, we were very surprised and it was delicious. You MUST add the sour cream and the boiled potato, but the taste is simply different from what American version of borscht.

When we cruise, we liked to be served. We always eat all our meals in the main dining room or specialty restaurants. I avoid the buffet at all costs. So the idea of eating a boxed lunch really turned us off. I understand some of the benefits of it, but we enjoyed our 2 restaurant stops very much.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

We are also trying to decide between Alla, TJ, and SPB Tours. One difference we noticed in the itineraries was the inclusion or omission of the Russian Museum, which Rick Steves highly recommended (and which some liked even better than the Hermitage). The first time we looked at the itineraries, Alla was the only tour that included the Russian Museum. Since then, SPB Tours has changed their itinerary and replaced the Contemporary Art Museum with the more desirable Russian Museum. Now TJ Travel might be the odd man out for us.

We appreciate the food differentiation, since we are foodies.

I'm kind of sure I'm going to pick SPB. I knocked Alla out because one of the lunches was boxed and I'd prefer 2 restaurant meals. (hey I know it's minor but I'm looking for anything to differentiate!) I've also decided that we're going to do a tour for Berlin and SPB was the only one that guaranteed a bathroom on their bus for the 3 hour ride. Plus I sent a question to both Alla and SPB on Facebook and both answered quickly and to my satisfaction. there is no wrong choice on this one.

On our private tour with TJ Travel..we opted to spend very little time eating (and we do love our food)..so no formal lunches for us...however that doesn't mean we didn't have two great meals...First day we went to a Russian Bakery (yummy) and the second day we ate at "Stolle" we had the best ever meat pies and then fruit pies for dessert..We still talk about how good these were :D:D:D

I'm kind of sure I'm going to pick SPB. I knocked Alla out because one of the lunches was boxed and I'd prefer 2 restaurant meals. (hey I know it's minor but I'm looking for anything to differentiate!)

Yeah, that was our reasoning too... but frankly, the SPB restaurant meal near Peterhof was lousy. I would have preferred the boxed lunch! It was a good opportunity to chat with our tour mates, but not a good culinary experience.

I did think that SPB did a good job. I guess this is just one more example of how there is no wrong choice. A lot of parity in the St. Petersburg tour business!

DSCN0694.JPG?gl=US

Agree. In Belgium and the Netherlands it tastes very different. Locals told us that they mix pork in. Ireland tasted pretty comparable, as did France and Italy.

Yes, I love eating local....but it's fun to see how American restaurants are changed up for different markets. In Paris they sell macarons :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

too bad about the cruddy lunch! but it seems unavoidable without altering plans significantly. at least there is one awesome lunch we'll be having in St. Pete! I can't wait. Going to book with SPB Tours in the next few days.

I was thinking of doing the same, but was wondering whether it's wise to give them our passport number. Do you have to do this to book in advance? We don't get to St Petersburg until June 24 and feel leery about giving private info to a Russian site. Any comments?

Sent from my Nexus 7

I was thinking of doing the same, but was wondering whether it's wise to give them our passport number. Do you have to do this to book in advance? We don't get to St Petersburg until June 24 and feel leery about giving private info to a Russian site. Any comments?

Sent from my Nexus 7

You have to give them the passport number ahead of time in order to get the visa waiver. The only alternatives are staying on the ship or getting a visa. Most cruisers do it and I have never heard of any problems.

Edited by CoralReef

My mother and I choose to go with Alla tours while in St Petersburg. It had nothing to do with food choice but the fact that my mother will be 80 (the cruise is her present from her children) and a two day go at full speed may have been a little too much for her (although she is often on a mission and walks faster than most mere mortals.):D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Took a 2-day tour with SPB last summer. Loved it, by the way!

As far as the meal, the first day we ate at a restaurant in a village that had various representations of Russian architecture. I liked the atmosphere. The restaurant we ate at served the borscht meal. Borscht isn't my favorite, but I was glad to have a traditional Russian meal, although the portions could have been bigger.

HAL DID serve some local favorites that night also in the Lido/Flavors of the World section, as well as a couple other times during the cruise. I think the main dining room had some local fare, as well.

My favorite meal was the pies the next day. Our guide, Olga, was fabulous! She was perhaps the best guide when it came to time-management I have ever had. She looked at the schedule and saw that the pie restaurant was going to be very crowded that day, so she had our driver scout out a nice area picked up the pies while we were at for us to eat outdoors. He found a plaza with covered seating while we were at The Hermitage (the seating area belonged to an outdoor sandwich-type eatery....she bought our lunch drinks there and they worked out some sort of deal for all of us to sit there). I believe she ordered 2 different flavors for the main meat course and I think a cherry-cheese for dessert. It was more than enough food and oh-so delicious!

Enjoy your trip!

We used SPB tours last year for deluxe St Petersburg tour. On both days we were very glad of a chance to sit down comfortably to eat and chat with fellow travellers. The food was as described previously, with borscht and stroganoff on day 1, and whilst we were anticipating a trip to a pie place the 2nd day,we were taken to another restaurant with a cabbage soup to start, rice and chicken in a mild curry sauce, with chocolate fondants to follow ( the fondants were glorious, with lovely oozing centre!).We also toured Berlin with SPB, where we had a sensational guide, who arranged to take those who wanted to a local cafe. Whilst she was probably getting some sort of reward for taking us there , it was reasonably priced and she was able to telephone ahead with our orders. The food was delicious as was the cold German beer!:D Enjoy your cruise!

We are booked with TJ Tours who do not normally include the Stolle Pie Shop as one of their lunch stops. We asked if it could be included and they have obliged and included it for our tour. Opinions have been mixed on the Pie Shop but most say the pies are great so we thought it was something special we should try. Full marks to TJ Tours for agreeing to make this change in the itinerary for our tour, I have been impressed with them since our first questions.