Butlers and children?

Starflyr3

This is sort-of a spin off of the butler tipping thread. Im not asking how much to tip, however.

Someone stated that they would tip a butler more if they had children because children make significantly more work for the butler.

I am wondering - how?

We will be in an H4 on the Jade next year, and from what we did on the Jewel (granted, in a mini-suite), we will get the kids up/dressed/to meals and then have them with us or at the kids club. We dont sit in the cabin playing video games and eating room service (they do enough games at home, thanks).

Perhaps we will ask the butler to bring cookies with the afternoon snacks, but s/he would be bringing snacks in any case.

And Im planning on one en-suite dinner/party thing for my birthday (as my family will be along, in different cabins), but nothing specifically kid-oriented.

So.

What do butlers do for kids that make having kids in the cabin "more trouble" for them than adults would be?

My first thought is that we definitely ordered more room service with a child than we would have if it was just the two of us. As a time-saver to get out of the cabin and to an activity sooner rather than as a sitting around thing.

DS is a toddler, so we also had a request to keep the fridge stocked with milk.

It's regularly mentioned here that butlers often keep the suite stocked with M&Ms and gummy bears when there are children in the suite. Also before-bed cookies or pound cake in addition to the afternoon snacks. We made a point of asking our butler to bring NO candy, cookies, cake, etc but he wasn't very good at complying.

Once we ordered a couple DVDs to keep him occupied while we were visiting with the rest of our group in their suite.

That's all I can think of.

Edit: I'm not sure that means a child is consistently more work. Some adults have all kinds of requests.

Edited by cadien

In my personal experience, it has been the number of individuals in a suite that create more work vs. the age of the individuals. For example, we sometimes ask for a greater variety of snacks if we have more people with us (we've sailed just the two of us, the four of us, and with extended family in larger suites). Another difference is in ordering room service from more than one restaurant at a time, which we've only done with more than four people in a suite. I honestly don't know why kids would specifically increase the burden on a Butler, but I am sure it may vary by the kids and familiar behavior & preferences.

I wouldn't worry about it now...wait until you're on the ship, and using the butler's services...if you don't use him/her much...well, then there you go! If you do utilize their services, you'll know, and hopefully, will tip accordingly!

Also, you do realize there is only a table for four in the H4, you might want to plan your dinner party at Cagneys.

Also the table isn't that big for even four people dining - with quite basic in-room breakfast just for two the table was so packed that there wouldn't have been room for two more persons and their dishes.

I agree with the other posters that say it is more about the number of people in a cabin versus child or adult.

We had a suite on the Star and the butler was always dropping treats off for the kids without us asking for them. Seemed like he was spoiling them.

Your room steward and your butler will work together to do nice things for your kids.

We have always had zoo fulls of towel animals, sometimes little NCL trinket gifts, extra trips with special treats in addition to the daily.

Any extra mess that some kids may make are the purview of the stewards.

In our experience it is the steward who gets extra work with kids, but the butler does Jump in and make the trip even more special.

Your room steward and your butler will work together to do nice things for your kids.

We have always had zoo fulls of towel animals, sometimes little NCL trinket gifts, extra trips with special treats in addition to the daily.

I'd hestitate to tell people to expect that. We received some of what we explicitly requested and nothing that we didn't. And just one towel animal per day, although we did always compliment the steward on them. (And that was fine.)

Edited by cadien

We have cruised 7 times with our now 3.75-yr old. All in suites on NCL. (in fact, all in the 2-bdrm suites). Only once in the Haven.

From experience I can say that the butler has never done anything more for us or our toddler than they would have for any other suite guests. We never asked for candy and would have refused it anyway. The sole exception to this was our recent butler on the Star who brought us pb&j sandwiches in addition to the nightly canapes; he also chased down a kids' movie that had been checked out on day 1 of the cruise by another cabin - he managed to get it for us.

Apart from that - just room service once or twice (but I am guessing that is normal for a suite guest).

...ordering room service from more than one restaurant at a time, which we've only done with more than four people in a suite.

Never even thought about ordering from different resturuants but kids can be picky so I could see ordering from one for the adults and another for the kids but going to the extreme I guess the adults might all want different meals from the differing resturuants and it would be nice for everyone to be able to do that and still all eat together. My bulter might actually get used more now that you all are giving me these ideas...I'll just blame CC & remember to tip him well...

:D

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the new $14.95 per person per day tips includes the butler so no more should be expected but it's your choice. You are already tipping $60 PER DAY for 1 cabin.

Absolutely incorrect.

Per NCL.com: Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities.

I read it was revised to include the butler, you're reading the old info that apparently hasn't been updated. In any event $60 per day for 1 cabin is more then enough considering what NCL has stated (from their web site)

"What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them."

Edited by cruzsnooze

Well, yes, it's possible that NCL has changed their policy and not put it in their T&Cs. But the increased DSC for suites has been going on since February. Of course, it's never required to tip, but if someone provides a daily service and has not been provided for in the DSC, tipping is standard, not extraordinary. The $60 per day includes, principally, the cabin steward and the staff in the dining rooms. It is not primarily (if at all) for the butler.

Edited by theloo

Someone stated that they would tip a butler more if they had children because children make significantly more work for the butler.

I am wondering - how?

I believe that this must be a reference to the Butler needing to keep the Suite looking neat, and therefore needing to "clear up the clutter" more often with more people sharing the room.

NCL-Gem-Jade-Jewel-Pearl-Courtyard-Penthouse-plan.jpg

Making up the extra beds, and bringing in extra towels are two other issues, but all of this is more to do with more than two guests being in the room, and not necessarily the age of them.

On the other hand, children would probably track more sand into the room than an adult, but in any case when four share a room it is a herculean task to keep it from looking "lived in".

I believe that this must be a reference to the Butler needing to keep the Suite looking neat, and therefore needing to "clear up the clutter" more often with more people sharing the room.

NCL-Gem-Jade-Jewel-Pearl-Courtyard-Penthouse-plan.jpg

Making up the extra beds, and bringing in extra towels are two other issues, but all of this is more to do with more than two guests being in the room, and not necessarily the age of them.

On the other hand, children would probably track more sand into the room than an adult, but in any case when four share a room it is a herculean task to keep it from looking "lived in".

It is the Room Steward that keeps the suite looking neat, not the Butler.

I read it was revised to include the butler, you're reading the old info that apparently hasn't been updated. In any event $60 per day for 1 cabin is more then enough considering what NCL has stated (from their web site)

"What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them."

I sure would like to see in writing what you are saying. Nowhere does it say that the Butler and Concierge are included in the DSC. In fact if you had put the entire document up you would have posted this:

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

If your kids don't require any extras on the ship, then just tip the same amount per day that you do for yourselves and all adults. Certainly they should receive at least the same as everyone else for services rendered?

It is the Room Steward that keeps the suite looking neat, not the Butler.

The Room Stewards may do the heavy lifting, but I believe that the Butler is ultimately responsible for the state of "his cabins", so they do some, and they supervise some ;)

The Room Stewards may do the heavy lifting, but I believe that the Butler is ultimately responsible for the state of "his cabins", so they do some, and they supervise some ;)

Actually, the Butler takes care of your needs and the Room Steward (just like any cabin without a Butler), takes care of the cleanliness of the cabin. I've never seen a Butler making a bed, vacuuming the floor, cleaning the bathroom, straitening up the cabin or any other housekeeping duties.