Let's talk Carnival Gift Cards

kmarie10531

What now seems all the rage is getting Carnival gift cards to pay off your cruise/ use on your sign and sail card. And yes I am one of those who got some from my local Kroger store to stock up on those fuel points.

Yet, I'm still a little confused . What is the BEST way to ensure that they use my gift cards first prior to my credit card ? I've contacted carnival 3 times and have gotten 3 different responses .

Has anyone had an issue with using them ? For instance carnival some how messed up and charged your credit card and didn't use the gift card first ?

TIA

Edited by kmarie10531

What now seems all the rage is getting Carnival gift cards to pay off your cruise/ use on your sign and sail card. And yes I am one of those who got some from my local Kroger store to stock up on those fuel points.

Yet, I'm still a little confused . What is the BEST way to ensure that they use my gift cards first prior to my credit card ? I've contacted carnival 3 times and have gotten 3 different responses .

Has anyone had an issue with using them ? For instance carnival some how messed up and charged your credit card and didn't use the gift card first ?

TIA

Carnival charges on the last day of the cruise, not periodically throughout. When you add a $500 gift card to your account on the first day you will have a -$500 balance. Therefore all charges will be taken from the 500 first

Carnival charges on the last day of the cruise, not periodically throughout. When you add a $500 gift card to your account on the first day you will have a -$500 balance. Therefore all charges will be taken from the 500 first

This is fact. Just got off the Breeze and did this. Once you use up your -$500.00, the balance will be charged to your credit card.

I set up S&S account as cash and put GC's on account at guest services. If we get to zero balance, then give cash or credit card. They can't mistakenly charge the credit card because they don't get it until GC's are gone.

You can apply the gift cards to a cash account or even a card based account. Adding a gift card is just like adding cash. It drives down the final balance due. I had trouble adding a gift card at the kiosk on the Paradise, but was able to add it at Guest Services.

We used gift cards to pay for our entire cruise (and ended up having free gas for a little over 2 months by doing so :D =well worth it) and then purchased a bunch more for use of our on board account.

Now I'm not sure if ALL the ships are like this, but I was told by everyone on here that you go to customer service to have the cards applied once on board. HOWEVER, (we were on the Pride last month) and they said they had a new system and they were able to apply all of my cards right there at check in. It worked out GREAT! No need to go to customer service and wait in line or anything. :D :)

We used gift cards to pay for our entire cruise (and ended up having free gas for a little over 2 months by doing so :D =well worth it) and then purchased a bunch more for use of our on board account.

Now I'm not sure if ALL the ships are like this, but I was told by everyone on here that you go to customer service to have the cards applied once on board. HOWEVER, (we were on the Pride last month) and they said they had a new system and they were able to apply all of my cards right there at check in. It worked out GREAT! No need to go to customer service and wait in line or anything. :D :)

I like this idea. Applying gift cards to the S&S account at check-in is a great idea. I can only imagine with the sudden popularity of Carnival gift cards that the line at Guest Services would be even longer if everyone tries to apply them at GS. It would also be one more thing out of the way where you wouldn't have to think about it onboard.

This would be nice. It eliminates a trip to guest services.

To the OP: Just put the gift card on your account. It doesn't matter if it's cash or credit card. You will have a credit to the account equal to amount of the gift card. Once that credit is used up then your credit card kicks in. If you don't use all of the gift card amount it will be refunded to you by check. This is on "most" gift cards. Please check the terms and conditions to make sure. The usual "rule of thumb" is that if someone, other than Carnival, paid real money for the card then it's refundable. If Carnival "gave" you the card or OBC, it is not refundable.

Take care,

Mike

TIA

We bought Carnival gift cards at 20% off, and apply them to our sign and sail at front desk on last day of cruise. No issues. If balance due after that, it's billed to credit card. I don't want to claim all gift cards on account at the begining of the voyage.

Edited by eponym

I have to ask - how did you get free gas? You cannot use more than a $1.00 off a gallon with Kroger and I know gas has not gone below a dollar a gallon.

We bought Carnival gift cards at 20% off, and apply them to our sign and sail at front desk on last day of cruise. No issues. If balance due after that, it's billed to credit card. I don't want to claim all gift cards on account at the begining of the voyage.

Where did you get carnival gift cards 20% off? That's great!!

Unfortunately, the 20% off at Kroger deal is over. :(

However, there are many other way to save on the gift cards . . .

- last year, Carnival had a promo on fathers day to get 10% free, keep an eye out, they may run similar promotions from time to time

- Verizon - if you use Verizon, you can get 10% off gift cards using the Verizon smart rewards - Read posts 528 and 602 ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081176

- AARP - if you don't use Verizon, you can sign up to earn AARP points, who uses the same rewards fulfillment center as Verizon for 10% off - read post 642 ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081176

- Citibank - many have reported they can use Citi Rewards to get gift cards

- Visa - I have Visa reward points on my bank credit card and can use the points to get them Free !! (10500pts = $100, 20000pts = $200)

- Credit Union - at least one person has reported getting them from their credit union

I have to ask - how did you get free gas? You cannot use more than a $1.00 off a gallon with Kroger and I know gas has not gone below a dollar a gallon.

I do not buy them at Kroger, I buy them at Giant Eagle (another grocery store) and they allow you to use as much as you want at the same time therefore we got free gas, filled up the cars and a bunch of gas cans every time that we went as well. So when our cars ran out, we used the gas in the cans until it ran out and then would head back to the gas station again and repeat. :) I actually kept track of my free gas: 2 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days....OR...11 weeks, 5 days...OR...82 days. So it almost lasted shy of 3 months. :D

gas_zpskvixhy0g.jpg

Thank you for reminding me that Giant Eagle sell the Carnival Gift cards. I will be going to buy some to get that free gas.

You are very welcome. I think they always offer the best deals on gas to begin with (and my son works for Krogers :p). Make sure to take your gas cans with you since you are allowed to take up to 30 gallons...you'll get the most for your money doing it that way. :)

I do not buy them at Kroger, I buy them at Giant Eagle (another grocery store) and they allow you to use as much as you want at the same time therefore we got free gas, filled up the cars and a bunch of gas cans every time that we went as well. So when our cars ran out, we used the gas in the cans until it ran out and then would head back to the gas station again and repeat. :) I actually kept track of my free gas: 2 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days....OR...11 weeks, 5 days...OR...82 days. So it almost lasted shy of 3 months. :D

gas_zpskvixhy0g.jpg

What a great deal! I sure wish we could do that at Kroger. When DH is taking the boat down to FL, we save up the points and he and DS take the truck and the boat up and fill them both up. Would love to pay nothing to fill up that boat!

gas_zpskvixhy0g.jpg

This is great! You must have been going on several cruises or booked a larger trip for multiple people? Or a really expensive cabin?

Based on my calculations you would have had to spend $6,750 to get enough to get three months of gas for free.

1,000 miles per month at 25 miles per gallons. This works out to 40 gallons of gas needed per month if you get 25 mpg, 120 gallons are then needed for three months. At $2.25/gallon you would have needed $270 in free gas. You need to redeem 100 points to get $1 in gas. So it would take 27,000 points. If you earn them at a rate of 4x per dollar on gift card purchases, it comes out to having to spend $6,750.

Not many people will be able to get free gas for three months with a small cruise.